The Marvelous Garrett Z-Lynk Wireless System And Older Detectors

For those of you who are fans of older "beep and dig" detectors (like Tesoros, for example) and love hunting with them, I'll bet you there is one aspect of them that you hate.

Corded headphones.

Remember those lovely accessories?  How they would be yanked off of your head if you set your detector down wrong.  Or get tangled on a bush, or caught on your belt or a million other things.  But back in the "olden times" you really had no other option except to run with no headphones and use the speaker.  That also had its drawbacks. Things like background noise, or children following you like the Pied Piper every time you got a hit. 

Yes, wireless has spoiled us all.

I found myself confronted by this corded headphone issue recently.  The GPAA Magazine, who I freelance for, had approached me to write an article on older beep and dig detectors.  Having just picked up a mint Tesoro Sidewinder from a good friend, the timing was perfect so I agreed to write it (it will be coming to the magazine in January if you are a subscriber).  The only drawback for me was going back to corded headphones.  Oh well, I thought, if it has to be it has to be.  I remember thinking at the time that I wish there was another option.

In rummaging through my box of headphones, looking for a pair to use, I discovered that very option I was seeking.  A box i had long forgotten about containing The Garrett Z-Lynk Wireless System headphones and module.  Now that Garrett builds Z-Lynk into their new detectors, i had totally forgotten about this product.  I pulled out the box and wondered if this would solve my corded headphone issue.

Thankfully it did.  I'll be brief here because I could write an entire article on just this Z-Lynk system.  By connecting the WT-1 wireless transmitter to my Tesoro, I could now use the MS-3 headphones and be totally wireless.  Suddenly my 25+ year old detector was refreshed with wireless technology!  And here is an added bonus: the Garrett Pro Pointer AT pairs with the system as well!

If you have any older detector that requires corded headphones, toss them in the trash and get the Garrett Z-Lynk Wireless System.  Next to using an old beep and dig detector it's the best old school/new technology decision you can make.

Bill

https://garrett.com/accessories/z-lynk-wireless-accessories/ms3-headphone-propointer-atSidewinder2023.thumb.jpg.f5e94b68bcaee643e03e00b8d6746d87.jpg

• Like 5

You can also use the WR-1 receiver instead of Garrett's headphones to use whatever your favorite wired headphone is. Personally I prefer this route as I find the MS-3 audio to be a little mushy for my hearing. I can use my dual volume control Sun Rays or a set of ear buds - whatever. Just plug your headphones into the receiver and then stick it in your pocket. It works great with my DFX. I might even make a dedicated setup by wiring a receiver directly to my old set of Sun Ray Pro headphones and get rid of the excess cord.

To go extra deluxe get the Pro Pointer Z-Lynk version and hear the pinpointer directly via the system. Basically adds wireless pinpointer audio to any detector.

garrett-wr1-wireless-module-for-axiom.jpg

• Like 5

Yep, that is how I have set up my MXT, Vista X & Tarsacci. Works great.