Situational Awareness Headset. (tip?)

Recently, I was going through some of My Load-out and placed My Sordin Headset(situational Awareness/Ear protection/Comms/etc) on My Legend Detector..And It Dawned on me..”Why didn’t I think of this Days Ago?”…..IMG_3283.thumb.jpeg.86d83c68f1de108b3b375164cf7a8c59.jpeg(Sordins, Like Peltors are Basically Mil-spec versions of Howard Leights, walker Razors, Range Guards(by Peltor) and Other “Range-Ear Protection”.. I Rigged up/plugged in an “APTX”!/Bluetooth5+ receiver I Had (Useable ones as low as 20$ on Amazon) and It Works With my Various set ups.. So Basically, I Have a Complete Situational Awareness Set up That I can Use with All of My Detectors…(️After a few Hours, “Gel cups” make such a Difference btw..)

AnyHow, After a Cursory look I didn’t see anything written on this but do remember “situational Awareness” being Brought up at one point.. Regardless, Decent and Bargain priced “Sit.-Aw. headsets” can be had for 30-50$ and Cheap Aptx/Bluetooth5+ receivers/Trans can be had as well.. So, I just wanted to put this out there in case it hasn’t been covered already… If it already has, Then Cool…

(With the Sordins on, You can detect/Use Comms and at the same time hear Snakes, People, Rocks tumbling, Twigs snapping, Everything!..(Boosted if you want)..All while your ears are being protected fro Sudden loud Pops/sounds).

Stay Safe,

Rad🤙🏻

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, this is a great idea. 👍 Might take a bit to find other lower priced models with an external jack for a transceiver.

• Like 1

Nice idea on the headsets, I would also like to know if they are low latency because I tried something similar on my 800 and I was missing some items.

Algoforce completely resolved this problem for me, I hated headphones for this very reason, now I can go detect a park with headphones on and hear what's going on around me, if a car is coming, I know about it.  This should be on every detector, especially seeing you can adjust the volume of it, so it's not intrusive.

From the Algoforce manual.

Mic Volume -  The control box has a microphone that captures ambient sounds, which can then be immediately played back through the headphone. This feature allows the user to simultaneously hear both the ambient sounds and detection audio. The Mic Volume setting allows the user to adjust the volume of the ambient sound playback. To use this feature, a headphone must be connected.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Algoforce completely resolved this problem for me, I hated headphones for this very reason, now I can go detect a park with headphones on and hear what's going on around me, if a car is coming, I know about it.  This should be on every detector, especially seeing you can adjust the volume of it, so it's not intrusive.

From the Algoforce manual.

Mic Volume -  The control box has a microphone that captures ambient sounds, which can then be immediately played back through the headphone. This feature allows the user to simultaneously hear both the ambient sounds and detection audio. The Mic Volume setting allows the user to adjust the volume of the ambient sound playback. To use this feature, a headphone must be connected.

A single microphone will not provide one with directional sound - if it’s a binaural setup (stereo mics next to one’s ears) you are more able to hear the direction of a sound.  That’s why wearable speakers such as the torus are much more able to allow for situational awareness, but yes, without the abilities of over the ear headphones to detect smaller and lighter signals.