5 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

So I will have to live vicariously through you this time, Bob. Congrats again and thanks for giving me the opportunity to dig history and I'm sure there is a coin or two still hiding there in all that iron, but wow, a pre-1800 US coin, that's rarified air.

You're welcome anytime my friend, much more to discover and after my injury it's preferable to have a friend along, a 50% less chance of being a target for a hunter, and a second cell phone 🤣

Seriously, I have gone through life with few mentors, and really appreciate getting schooled now and again. 🙂 I also much appreciate your knowledge of detectors and history and finds, more than you may realize.

So much to learn, and so little time. Going to make the most of it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

I was guilty of wishful thinking.  I guess you didn't get to walk in the clouds after all.  😏  You'll just have to wait longer for your (true) rare coin find.  (Lots of company there....)

No worries, at my stage of detecting I'm exponentially more prone to wishful thinking 🤣 Thanks to you I'm a bit more careful now. 👍

I was hoping you'd catch this post and weigh in. 🙂 Heck I thought it was an 1802 at first glance! Still got the adrenaline rush.

49303f4a-378c-4273-aff6-8d0c0e0177f4.thumb.jpg.4dcf0d3d30dfb0b650c816ed7e275ab8.jpg

Even the 1607 KJ1 cut in half I dug isn't all that valuable, but the context of the buttons and broken spectacle buckle I collected near it were priceless. These are the things that keep me going. 🙂 

• Like 6

20 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

We both brought blaze orange but didn't hear any hunting activity all day.

The reason you didn't hear gun shots is because it's bow season, and I don't know of to many arrows that you can hear.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

The reason you didn't hear gun shots is because it's bow season, and I don't know of to many arrows that you can hear.

We were asked to keep out of the woods at this place during bow season, we're already up to hunting with dogs and firearms now, a very old tradition here. Week before last I was "hunted" by a couple of dogs that came right to the edge of the woods at my house where I was sitting in my golf cart taking a break. Ol' Number 8 and 10 heard me speak to them, turned around and went off on another trail. 🤣

Another few weeks of total mayhem and it's over here. At least the legal stuff. 😬 I think everyone went back to work after Thanksgiving. 😀

Worst time is right after Christmas when they zero and pattern the Christmas presents. 😏

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ColonelDan said:

A truly great day of detecting!   Super job....👍

Thanks Colonel,

The weather was right, the ground was saturated and easy to dig but not muddy, a lot of factors in our favor. That and this spot was apparently undiscovered like a couple others there. It's a big place but sadly about half of it is woods. It was much larger at one time, it has been farmed for almost 350 years. It's a very fortunate permission.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, rvpopeye said:

Field envy.🥸

I know there must be one of those here SOMEWHERE ! 

Try to catch farmers outside, or knock on doors, have a pocketful of compliments and try to interest them in what you might find. Offer to split the fortune you make off that valuable coin. 😀 Promise to turn over all family stuff.

• Like 5

Oh my goshk ! I realize now that what I posted could have 2 meanings...I'll work on that.

I meant envy your field but hope there's a possibility I might find one of those largies somewhere here on the fairgrounds.👍

But , yeah on getting permissions on the fields around here though .A lot of farms here uptah camp are disappearing to development 😩 .

I do keep some opening speeches in a notebook to rehearse but there's always room for more . Just meeting them is a half the battle win .  

I spent some time last summer here volunteering in the pulling/show barn .....ya know,  getting my cred's in the livestock community so they might recognize me when I do ask or knock.   I was working the sound crew at the same time so got to meet other locals in the fair community . (Including at some of the concessions booths of the non carnie variety ) 

Plus some of the regulars see me detecting around for the last year. Easy to talk to once they ask if you found anything good .  ( Just thinking,,,I am more likely to show someone that doesn't ask though !  hmmmm🤔)  Maybe that would be a good time to ask FOR a permission ? "No, there's not much of anything good here . Do you have someplace with interesting history that I could look on ?" They'd only ask once and might be a few that say "yup yup hook ya up chummy" !

Well , something similar anyway..

You live in a colonial/CW paradise of detecting , guess I'm trying to emulate as best I can but the fair IS 145 years old.  😜   and STILL NOT frozen solid !👍 It wasn't earlier but tomorrow it might be.

Clocking as many hours as I can in the meantime. Not sure if the new shovel will buy me more  ? arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr🏴‍☠️

• Like 1

Nice hunt! I wished my few fields were nearly as productive.. 🙄

• Thanks 1