31 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

Thanks GB, but after reading that with even more than two syllables ? I discovered the truth,...

Ah, I see what you are talking about.  The '8' (what I thought was a '3') digit is quite confusing, as is the hair braid (pseudo cap).  I've been trying to tie the reverse of yours to that of the 1793 and was having trouble finding a good match; now I see why.  The 1798 reverse you show is much better in sync with your find.

These copper coins, especially the 100% copper ones (as all half and large cents were/are) with so much time in the ground can add material (loosely thrown into the corrosion category) which further increases the confusion.  And then there is the lighting/shadows needed to bring out the detail photographically.  That also can be misleading which is why numismatists (like geologists) really want to see a specimen in person.

I was guilty of wishful thinking.  I guess you didn't get to walk in the clouds after all.  ?  You'll just have to wait longer for your (true) rare coin find.  (Lots of company there....)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

So I will have to live vicariously through you this time, Bob. Congrats again and thanks for giving me the opportunity to dig history and I'm sure there is a coin or two still hiding there in all that iron, but wow, a pre-1800 US coin, that's rarified air.

You're welcome anytime my friend, much more to discover and after my injury it's preferable to have a friend along, a 50% less chance of being a target for a hunter, and a second cell phone ?

Seriously, I have gone through life with few mentors, and really appreciate getting schooled now and again. ? I also much appreciate your knowledge of detectors and history and finds, more than you may realize.

So much to learn, and so little time. Going to make the most of it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

I was guilty of wishful thinking.  I guess you didn't get to walk in the clouds after all.  ?  You'll just have to wait longer for your (true) rare coin find.  (Lots of company there....)

No worries, at my stage of detecting I'm exponentially more prone to wishful thinking ? Thanks to you I'm a bit more careful now. ?

I was hoping you'd catch this post and weigh in. ? Heck I thought it was an 1802 at first glance! Still got the adrenaline rush.

49303f4a-378c-4273-aff6-8d0c0e0177f4.thumb.jpg.4dcf0d3d30dfb0b650c816ed7e275ab8.jpg

Even the 1607 KJ1 cut in half I dug isn't all that valuable, but the context of the buttons and broken spectacle buckle I collected near it were priceless. These are the things that keep me going. ? 

• Like 6

20 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

We both brought blaze orange but didn't hear any hunting activity all day.

The reason you didn't hear gun shots is because it's bow season, and I don't know of to many arrows that you can hear.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

The reason you didn't hear gun shots is because it's bow season, and I don't know of to many arrows that you can hear.

We were asked to keep out of the woods at this place during bow season, we're already up to hunting with dogs and firearms now, a very old tradition here. Week before last I was "hunted" by a couple of dogs that came right to the edge of the woods at my house where I was sitting in my golf cart taking a break. Ol' Number 8 and 10 heard me speak to them, turned around and went off on another trail. ?

Another few weeks of total mayhem and it's over here. At least the legal stuff. ? I think everyone went back to work after Thanksgiving. ?

Worst time is right after Christmas when they zero and pattern the Christmas presents. ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ColonelDan said:

A truly great day of detecting!   Super job....?

Thanks Colonel,

The weather was right, the ground was saturated and easy to dig but not muddy, a lot of factors in our favor. That and this spot was apparently undiscovered like a couple others there. It's a big place but sadly about half of it is woods. It was much larger at one time, it has been farmed for almost 350 years. It's a very fortunate permission.

• Like 3