Any Word On Any Detech Coils For The Legend?

I've searched this forum and many others high and low looking for any info I can find about aftermarket coils for the Legend and, although I found a few posts here and there where others have expressed interest, I haven't found anything concrete. My dream coil for the Legend would be an 8x6 SEF Butterfly like Detech made for some of the older machines, as many of you have stated they are far superior in every way to the stock coils. I have even emailed both Detech and Dilek to see if they would spill the beans, but so far everyone is tight/lipped surrounding this. Not sure if that's because they are in the works, or if there aren't any plans on making aftermarket coils for the Legend afterall, which, if that were to be the case, I would find very puzzling, especially since an 8x6 SEF Butterfly was made for the Garrett ACE series and many other lower-end machines.

What are the chances we will see some aftermarket coils made for the Legend? And most importantly (at least to me), an 8x6 SEF Butterfly? It will be so disappointing if the Legend is overlooked in this manner, so I’m not going to give up holding out hope. 

- MLB

Hi Digalicious, 

I think the biggest advantage for me would be the shape of the coil, as it gives greater coverage and depth over the LG24, while at the same time being pretty small. I can't see myself ever using the LG30 that came with my machine, and my first time (actually only time before the ground froze solid) out with the Legend I felt that the LG15 was too small. I think a butterfly coil would be the best of both worlds in regards to depth, separation, coverage and EMI but also don't have the firsthand experience to know for sure. Do you have any experience with using any of the SEFs at all? From the limited info I've come across, almost everyone finds them a pleasure to use and a significant upgrade over the stock coils, and if there's something out there that makes the Legend even better, count me in! I haven't picked up the LG24 yet, and honestly would prefer to buy a Detech coil for my medium "in-betweener" instead of another stock. 

- MLB

12 minutes ago, My Little Bleeper said:

Hi Digalicious, 

I think the biggest advantage for me would be the shape of the coil, as it gives greater coverage and depth over the LG24, while at the same time being pretty small. I can't see myself ever using the LG30 that came with my machine, and my first time (actually only time before the ground froze solid) out with the Legend I felt that the LG15 was too small. I think a butterfly coil would be the best of both worlds in regards to depth, separation, coverage and EMI but also don't have the firsthand experience to know for sure. Do you have any experience with using any of the SEFs at all? From the limited info I've come across, almost everyone finds them a pleasure to use and a significant upgrade over the stock coils, and if there's something out there that makes the Legend even better, count me in! I haven't picked up the LG24 yet, and honestly would prefer to buy a Detech coil for my medium "in-betweener" instead of another stock. 

- MLB

The coverage is actually less for the butterfly coil dimensions you provided (8" swing coverage vs. 9.5" swing coverage for the LG24).  Can't speak to depth, but the LG coils seem to perform pretty well in general and price-wise, are a great value compared to their competition.  Of all the latest Simultaneous Multi-frequency detectors on the market right now (Legend, Equinox, Manticore, Deus 2, Quest V series and Apex), I have only seen third party coils for Equinox, so far (from Coiltek).  I am thinking the multifrequency presents a challenge for 3rd coil manufacturers unless there is close collaboration between the detector manufacturer and the third party coil manufacturers, so if you are looking third party coils for Legend and these other SMF detectors you may be in for a long wait.

1 minute ago, Chase Goldman said:

The coverage is actually less for the butterfly coil dimensions you provided (8" swing coverage vs. 9.5" swing coverage for the LG24).  Can't speak to depth, but the LG coils seem to perform pretty well in general  Of all the latest Simultaneous Multi-frequency detectors on the market right now (Legend, Equinox, Manticore, Deus 2, Quest V series and Apex), I have only seen third party coils for Equinox, so far (from Coiltek).  I am thinking the multifrequency presents a challenge for 3rd coil manufacturers unless there is close collaboration between the detector manufacturer and the third party coil manufacturers, so if you are looking third party coils for Legend and these other SMF detectors may be in for a long wait.

You are very correct that the SEF 8x6 would have slightly less coverage, and I’m not sure why that didn't occur to me. And, yes, I would have to agree with you regarding the challenge that MF likely presents to aftermarket coil manufacturers. I do recall seeing a post where others had shared that they had either spoken with Dilek or seen her state somewhere that Nokta would be willing to work closely with an aftermarket manufacturer to see other coils come to market but haven't heard of anything since. I believe this was back in late 2022 if my aging memory serves me correctly. The world has changed a lot in the last few years and I’m wondering if maybe that shift is translating to less options, not just for, but especially, the detecting world?

Having used several Detech 8X6 coils in the past, all I can say is that they have been excellent coils but a bit heavy for their size.

I own a Legend and the L30, LG28, LG24, and LG15 coils. The LG30 and LG24 coils are very lightweight for their size, have excellent target separation, and have depth that is at least equal to their projected capability on 15 to 25 mm coins in normal soil conditions which are around 10.5 inches for the LG30 and 7.5 or so inches for the LG24.

The best depth I got on similar sized coins using an 8x6 Detech SEF coil was 7”. 

22 minutes ago, My Little Bleeper said:

I felt that the LG15 was too small. I think a butterfly coil would be the best of both worlds in regards to depth, separation, coverage and EMI but also don't have the firsthand experience to know for sure. Do you have any experience with using any of the SEFs at all?

The LG15 6" round DD coil, is an amazing little sniper coil, but like yourself, I found it to be a little small for my needs. Kind of like painting a wall with a brush, instead of a roller. The LG24 is my go to coil for most of my sites (Oh oh, I just got notified that Jeff replied lol). Most Legend owners who use the LG24, don't take it off much, unless they need large amounts of coverage.

For reasons Chase stated, I doubt there will be third party coils for the Legend. 

Just now, Jeff McClendon said:

Having used several Detech 8X6 coils in the past, all I can say is that they have been excellent coils but a bit heavy for their size.

I own a Legend and the L30, LG28, LG24, and LG15 coils. The LG30 and LG24 coils are very lightweight for their size, have excellent target separation, and have depth that is at least equal to their projected capability on 15 to 25 mm coins in normal soil conditions which are around 10.5 inches for the LG30 and 7.5 or so inches for the LG24.

The best depth I got on similar sized coins using an 8x6 Detech SEF coil was 7”. 

That's really good to hear that the stock coils are performing well, maybe even just as well as a Detech/Coiltek would. I’m actually surprised that your experience with the Detech coil wasn't deeper, but I have never used an aftermarket coil myself and am solely relying on anecdotal experiences from others such as yourself, as well as YouTubers, etc., so I don't really know what to expect. But that's good to hear that the stock coils are on the money. Would you say that the LG24 is worth the extra $200, or do you think I should just wait to see if NEL or Detech come out with something better?

54 minutes ago, My Little Bleeper said:

I can't see myself ever using the LG30 that came with my machine, and my first time (actually only time before the ground froze solid) out with the Legend I felt that the LG15 was too small.

The LG30 is not ideal for very trashy sites. I would use the LG24 for very trashy sites, due to its superior unmasking and separation ability. However, if I had to use the LG30 in a very trashy site, I would use a high recovery speed, and a lower sensitivity level. That way, I would be "kind of" mimicking the separation and unmasking ability of the LG24. Although, the LG24 is much more comfortable to swing than the LG30.

Detech coils are excellent on my MXT and I think they are an improvement over the available stock coils. This is common on older detectors but not nearly as much on detectors introduced in the last few years. OEM coils from Nokta Makro (and Garrett) are available in a wide range of sizes & perform extremely well. They saw the need/demand for a full range of coils and filled it for their units, and the quality & performance is first rate. I do not think a 6X8 SEF would hold any advantage over the Nokta LG24 or an Ultimate 13 over the LG35. I encourage you to get both.