Website Rollback - New Update ×

Well It Wasn't My Last Hunt Of The Year - Rare Coin!

5 minutes ago, rvpopeye said:

HOW did I miss this thread ? Now I just used up all of my likes  ! 

Talk about Merry Christmas ! Even your yahd is giving you presents ! 

I always expect "something good" when you post your out front yahd finds . 

Your yahd sure outdid itself this hunt though ! OOOOOie ! 

Thanks RVP,

Couldn't get out yesterday when it was 60 for a return engagement, lots of family stuff. ?

Today and tomorrow rain, thought I would get away with it this morning but now shifting gear again to hit holiday sales and use gift cards. ? I might be able to get out Friday, the mud should be gone by then, Saturday will be even better.

Definitely the second coolest find of the year, I was shocked. ?

Got new headphones (WSA II XL) and itching to get out there, maybe I'll put the mud boots on. ?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rvpopeye said:

It's probably not on any map but you live on top of a gold mine of finds....?

Yeah, but like real gold they're disappearing fast. ? Already wiped out one side of the road, subsequent detecting has not returned much.

• Like 1

F350 Congrats on the rare old state half penny, token, cool baseball medal and the other relics. The soil could've been a little nicer to such a fine old coin. The baseball medal is the first one I've seen posted. When I first started Md'ing I found the same one in my neighbors yard , a 40s build with an AT Pro. Like you I never found any info on it but I love it and still have it on display. Yours has more detail than the one I found. Have to say a little jelly of all the old hunting ground you have right outside your front door. lol Good luck in the new year. Mark

• Thanks 1

That would have me stoked!  Must be nice to roll out of bed in the morning and be in prime hunting territory!  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, markinswpa said:

F350 Congrats on the rare old state half penny, token, cool baseball medal and the other relics. The soil could've been a little nicer to such a fine old coin. The baseball medal is the first one I've seen posted. When I first started Md'ing I found the same one in my neighbors yard , a 40s build with an AT Pro. Like you I never found any info on it but I love it and still have it on display. Yours has more detail than the one I found. Have to say a little jelly of all the old hunting ground you have right outside your front door. lol Good luck in the new year. Mark

Thanks Mark,

I have about 100 acres of open farm out front, and about 300 acres I have permission to near that. Too bad I didn't start much earlier after we bought this house, but despite some unauthorized detecting there I have managed to find some great stuff. ?

While there are few to no rocks, no mineralization at all, and maybe 4-6" of topsoil before clay, the reason the soil is so nasty to coins is that over the last 250-300 years or so various fertilizers including fish have been used. It's incredibly easy to dig until it becomes dry. Chase has called it among other things a "Detecting Paradise" ?

I doubt bronze or copper coins survive well in most any farm unless the soil is very sandy. That sand is another foot below the clay. ?

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Geologyhound said:

That would have me stoked!  Must be nice to roll out of bed in the morning and be in prime hunting territory!  

Thanks Ghound,

It really is. ? I've covered some of it so well however that there really isn't anything left but iron ? a spot I found early on was crisscrossed many times in just about every direction after finding cut 1 Reale (pistareen) pieces.

There is a lot of trash in certain spots, there were two farmhouses out there a long time ago, both were pushed into the woods, and one a lot of the topsoil was pushed to the edge of a very deep ravine. I try to hunt those soil berms but they are heavily overgrown.

I mostly hunt these spaces now at random on days when going to my larger and more distant permissions isn't a good idea.

I may grid the place I found the half cent though ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Wow, F350, it's a Christmas Miracle! Excellent finds, congrats and well done! ?

wow2.gif

Thanks Cap,

Sure was a miracle, but I've not really looked where I found it. That button and buckle were nearby. ? Maybe another colonial pit stop ?

• Like 3