Making Waterproof Smf Dive Capable

10 hours ago, cudamark said:

With the great SMF machines available today, there's very little need for a PI in the water IMO. Extreme depth in black sand is the only thing I can think of.

Which one of these SMFs would you consider waterproof?  I've heard of a mod for the Equinoxes that makes them waterproof and used by divers.

Deus 2 good to 20 meters (65 feet) no modifications needed. Excalibur good to 200 feet out of the box. It's not that you have to use them to those depths. It means they are far more reliable to ten feet than detectors rated for a max of ten feet. IP68 only means up to 1.5 meters for more than 30 minutes, yet people quote IP68 like it means something is super waterproof. No, it is a bare minimum rating.

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 5

12 hours ago, mn90403 said:

Which one of these SMFs would you consider waterproof?  I've heard of a mod for the Equinoxes that makes them waterproof and used by divers.

I've had both the Nox900 and the D2 underwater with no problems. Depending on how deep you plan to go, some are better than others. The Nox 900, maybe 10-15 feet, the D2, 25 feet. Excalibur and CZ21 100 feet no problem. I haven't played with the Legend, but, from others I hear it's fine at least to 15 feet too. I have a friend that got one of the waterproof boxes for the Nox 800 from some outfit in Europe and he's had no problem with it either diving to 25 feet. I wouldn't try it without one on the 600/800. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1