A Tale Of Two Rc's

F350Platinum

Hey y'all,

There wasn't much going on today, my wife said "why don't you go detecting?"

I'm not the kind of guy that says "are you sure?" ๐Ÿ˜€ I had something in mind and went and did it.

If you've been reading my insane diatribes ๐Ÿ™„, you know I had a problem with my first remote (RC), sent it off to XP service, and it came back 11 days later. I had bought a second remote so there wouldn't be any downtime (yet another post), updated both of them to V2, and shipped the old one off.

I've been wondering whether there have been any hidden changes in hardware, and was eager to find out. I bought my first remote in February 2022, and the second this past November.20231231_161458.thumb.jpg.71f66012e943cff02130b2012db93888.jpg

I sat down with both remotes and made sure the program I was using wasย exactlyย the same on both, kind of a painful process. ๐Ÿ˜€ What I'm using is a new program based on General, similar to my old Relic Reaper that V1 trashed. I built this program on the fly recently using some parameters from my summer beach program that was very successful. Heck it even works great on the farms here because there are salts everywhere, but I wanted manual ground balance which Beach Sensitive doesn't do well, and moisture subtraction.

My ground balances from 67-80, usually around 76 when it's wet. Really no minerals at all. I never see any mineralization bars on the main screen, so I use XY for other info and audio response tells me size/depth.20231231_115344.thumb.jpg.3475eb20f964f341d8d48896ab45e74a.jpg

I used both remotes in the field right in front of my house, just gridded the farm about 10 feet past the underground power line and far enough away from my RV with WiFi, a spot with no EMI at all.

I have to say from making many passes with both that there was no variance in the tones, bump sensitivity was exactly the same, and found there were no differences at all. ๐Ÿ‘ That mission was accomplished.

Now for an observation:

The coolest thing was that because I had my WSA II headphones, the same pinpointer, and the same coil (11x13") connected to both RCs, all I had to do was throw the remote on and go. I guess the peripheral devices don't maintain the pairing records, only the RC does, so all other devices will work passively without re-pairing them if they have been connected before.

Change out something and you will have to redo the first one, as you have deleted its pairing record with the RC. I really like that. ๐Ÿ™‚

I didn't find any relics or coins in this spot, just some small trash:20231231_144349.thumb.jpg.92f579b6ecde488fe99c7f26f997a75f.jpg

Headstamps, buck balls, the usual junk. The field in this area is pretty clean because it used to be the middle of the field, the turn zone was way behind my house. It has a lot of different conditions from clean to ridiculous, however. There was a farmhouse out there long ago.

While I was out there an Amazon driver came and delivered the new glass screen protector kit from XP:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0C486BLPC

It costs about 8 bucks but it is great. The screen on my old remote was scratched big time, but putting the glass protector over it covered everything with no bubbles. It looks relatively new now, and the screen has tempered glass over it. I don't know why they put the notch in the glass, maybe it's so you can get it out. I'm very pleased. ๐Ÿ‘

Just for giggles I might roll back one of the remotes to V0.71 to see what differences there are, and post some more observations. It's easy enough to do. ๐Ÿ™‚20231231_140006.thumb.jpg.b7a15cef7d0cdab8426bd1487ef9272f.jpg

While I was out doing all this, a guy came flying over the field in some sort of para-plane. ๐Ÿ˜€ Pretty cool.

Here's a bonus sunset from last night:20231230_165626.thumb.jpg.28a5d22a00d736f585eccfcded7491b8.jpg

Happy new year! ๐Ÿฅณ

• Like 5

• The title was changed to A Tale Of Two Rc's

Great report Bob. ย As I said before, youโ€™re living in the epicenter of metal detecting ย America! ย ๐Ÿ˜Š

Iโ€™m considering one of those screen protectors as beach sand acts a lot like sandpaper on things.

Looking forward to follow on posts.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, ColonelDan said:

Great report Bob. ย As I said before, youโ€™re living in the epicenter of metal detecting ย America! ย ๐Ÿ˜Š

Iโ€™m considering one of those screen protectors as beach sand acts a lot like sandpaper on things.

Looking forward to follow on posts.

Thanks Colonel,

Nothing earth-shattering and in some cases, who cares, right? ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™‚๏ธ But for some of us with two remotes this is kind of a big dill ๐Ÿฅ’ and might keep us out of a pickle. ๐Ÿคฃ

I for one am relieved to know that remotes manufactured some time apart have no differences, while it would be "sensational" if they did, I was hoping this would be the result. ๐Ÿ˜…

On the other hand, that screen protector is a great afterthought, in typical XP fashion they cover ya if you've already used the remote which I have also scratched on the beach ๐Ÿ˜Žย 

I've found a few of my best coins in this field, I'm trying to save some of it for the future. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Haha 1