Discrimination And Notching

What's the difference between discrimination and notching, like is there a difference under the hood?

Does discrimination give you clipped tones like notching can??

I just got a deus 1 machine so I'm curious, I am coming from nokta machines which only have notching

On 4/17/2024 at 9:14 AM, gopher said:

What's the difference between discrimination and notching, like is there a difference under the hood?

Does discrimination give you clipped tones like notching can??

I just got a deus 1 machine so I'm curious, I am coming from nokta machines which only have notching

Since no one has responded to you

when you Notch a target ID out you are discriminating anything in that target ID range out, so they are one and the same in my opinion, and yes those discriminated targets or notched targets can give you a clipping sound when you swing your coil over them

Both are forms of discrimination. Threshold discrimination eliminates all targets up to where it is set and notch eliminates specific ranges.

On digital machines the machine is still responding to the targets and usually they just turn off the audio  and or both audio and id's.

I typically hunt with no discrimination as it is too easy to eliminate good targets or easily skip mixed targets like coin spills or good targets mixed in trash.

If your machine has the ability to change tone breaks then use that and set them on known trash targets so you get a mixed lousy signal vs clean tones on good targets.

Back in the day you had a discrimination knob. Everything below the knobs setting was rejected, everything above accepted. People often tuned it up to right below copper penny (no zinc in those days) to get the silver coins, but nickels were also blocked out. Or you could set it to get nickels but then dug lots of pull tabs. The first advance in knob based discrimination was the ability to "notch" the nickel range back in. This often took the form of a second knob and a moveable "window" of acceptance. Or it could be reversed to knock out a single items selectively - "notch it out." Notch accept or notch reject.

When digital came along it gave us the ability to create multiple notch scenarios.

click or double click image for large readable version
tesoro-pantera-metal-detector-catalog-page.jpg