Minelab Gpx17 (17x13) Mono Coil Now Or Wait For Nf 16x10 Mono

So I read all the old reviews on here for the GPX17 coil for the 6000.  Is everyone still in love with this coil like the old reviews indicate?

The 6000 is my primary gold detector and I dont have a 7000 or 5000, and I also know the 6000 will never match these machines regarding depth on larger gold.

Is the GPX17 still a good coil to have for patch hunting in open ground and some extra depth compared to the stock 11 inch or the NF 12x7?

I was patiently waiting for the NF 16x10 mono coil to be released but it does not appear like this is going to happen any time soon and maybe never.

Please advise if the GPX17 is a worthwhile investment now or should I wait for another year to see if the NF coil will be released. 

I have not seen any field test results comparing the GPX17 to the NF 16x10 even though it appears that JP and maybe others have tested it.

Please advise,  Ceril 

If you want a larger coil as a patch hunter, I would suggest that the 17" minelab coil is your best, and only way to go. I would not expect a larger coil from NF for a fair while, perhaps the 14 x 9 coiltek could be a choice.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My experience with the 17" ellip mono was poor. Way too noisy, had to dumb it down to manual 1 or 2 just to shut it up. Trialed another from a friend, same deal. But others have  had no such issues... I aint buying any other coils except NF ones...but the wait is now painful.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have had NO such issues at all as Aureous has mentioned when I have been using my 17x13 coil including it producing extra depth over the 11 coil depending on the size of the nugget. No problems running high Manual or Auto settings from my experience.  NF definitely produce great robust coils which can handle more rough use than the light weight 6000 coils.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, TE Gold said:

If you want a larger coil as a patch hunter, I would suggest that the 17" minelab coil is your best, and only way to go. I would not expect a larger coil from NF for a fair while, perhaps the 14 x 9 coiltek could be a choice.

If NF wire the 16x10 like the 12x7, it will be closer to a 14x9 Coiltek in wiring which is $200 cheaper.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Ceril,

I know you have asked me many times on the release of the NF 16x10.  Originally I heard it wasn't going to come out, but recently I heard it was, but it's still down the line.  I don't expect to see one anytime real soon.  I can't keep the NF coils in stock to be honest, they are very hot coils, especially on the GPX 6000 & GPZ 7000.  I haven't had one customer that has purchased a Z Search for the GPZ 7000, 12 or 17x13 that has been unhappy with the performance and this is the same with the new NF Exceed 12x7 for the GPX 6000.  

We also sell all the Coiltek GoldHawk coils for the GPX 6000 and they sell well also.  Like many have mentioned, you might consider the Coiltek 14x9 if you need something soon, or you can wait along with me with "hopes" of a larger GPX 6000 searchcoil to arrive from NF.  

To be honest, once you see or hear of some customers in Australia using them, I would say we are several months out after that for the US market.

Rob

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The 14x9 Coiltek is a decent coil, very stable and as good as you can expect for its size when it comes to EMI, I’ve only used the ML 17x13 once when I borrowed it off JW and my impression wasn’t good as it lacked the small gold  sensitivity people like about the 6000 which was proven on in ground undug small gold compared to the 11”.  This is to be expected on a bigger coil and it’s purpose is ground coverage and bigger gold depth not small gold.

I also found it very unstable but this was later proven to be my detector needing the EMI fix done.

If it were me I’d ignore any feedback on 6000 coils from anyone pre EMI fix and even anyone with an older early built coil as they have made changes to newer batch coils not only with build quality with the plastic cracking on the coil and ears but also in relation to stability, my replacement 11” is much better than my original yet my original performed exactly the same as another original I compared it to with JW’s original before it died on him and I bought my 6000 a year after it came out hoping to avoid teething problems.

A newer 17x13 might be a lot better than an early one.

The 16x10 is a myth for now and may come or may not, I’ve noticed it was getting marketing done on Facebook with gold found photos some time ago that has stopped a while ago now.

Coiltek should just make more sizes, at least we would get them in quantity and quicker, they did a great job on the 10x5.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

........anyone with an older early built coil as they have made changes to newer batch coils not only with build quality with the plastic cracking on the coil and ears but also in relation to stability, ................

A newer 17x13 might be a lot better than an early one.

I purchased my 6000 three months after its release date and have had no issues with the 11 coil.

So, is there a date period that covers those older early built 11 coils that you speak of ?

Also is there a date period for those early 17x13 coils that are not as good as the newer 17x13 coils, that you speak of as well ?

Thanks for all the feedback guys. 

I spoke to two of my fellow prospector friends, (Chet and Art) who both own the GPX17 coil, regarding pros/cons of this coil.  Based on their inputs as well as all of yours, I have decided to wait on purchasing a larger coil for the following (personal) reasons.

One, I really like the performance and stability of the NF 12x7 mono coil on the 6000.  It has been my primary coil since the day I put it on at the beginning of last year.  Most of the time, I run it with gain of Manual 8 to 10, in normal or difficult, with the threshold volume turned down to where it is just audible using head phones.  The NF coil appears to stabilize the chatty threshold inherent of the 6000 (yes, my 6k also has the audio/emi fix), especially when set to high gain.  With this setup I investigate any slight threshold change and if repeatable then I dig.  I found my personal best nugget of 19.6 grams, around 14 inches deep, a few months ago with this setup as well as a 0.023 gram nugget for my smallest.  The NF coil has really boosted the confidence in my ability to find gold as long as I do my part.  The elliptical shape allows me to get into spots that the 11 inch round coil wont and that is another significant advantage.  Anyway I guess I am sorta hooked on NF coils performance and quality so I will see if the NF 16x10 mono will be released this year and if it has similar performance characteristics as the 12x7.

Two, the Coiltek 14x9 option is too close in size to the NF 12x7 (imo) so just the simple math tells me that there is not enough to be gained regarding depth and coverage.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, goldenoldie said:

I purchased my 6000 three months after its release date and have had no issues with the 11 coil.

So, is there a date period that covers those older early built 11 coils that you speak of ?

Also is there a date period for those early 17x13 coils that are not as good as the newer 17x13 coils, that you speak of as well ?

No one knows, they have improved them over time as many have noticed replacements are more stable, I was told by many when I uploaded videos mine was normal, it’s only when I had it replaced I found out it was not normal.  They have indicated from the service department in Australia plastics have changed.  I guess you don’t know what you don’t know but unless you’ve tried a new one you’ll never really know but if you’re happy with yours, enjoy it,  For all we know the manufacturing problems maybe random, it’s not like Minelab are forthcoming admitting issues.

Note I said newer 17 coils MIGHT BE better and nobody knows date periods of anything, secret Minelab information 😀