My First Nickel Trifecta In 48 Years!

I went to a local park  that I had found alot of old coins back in the 1980's.   I have not been back there for a few decades, As I got married , raised 9 kids, moved out of state, etc.

Well I'm retired now,  and moved back my old stomping grounds . This was my 3rd visit this year, I detected the same areas of the park I had found all those old coins back then, on the first 2 visits. Brought the Manticore the first time with the 11 coil.  Found clad and a few wheats.  The second visit I had the 5 x 8 coil , and found double the amount of clad as the first time, and one wheat.  This strategy isn't working.  Today , I put the 11 back on , and covered an open area, more clad. So I drifted over to where a small pavilion is , about 50 feet from it and 10 ft off the service road.  I hit a soft  nickel tone, 26-27 ID, and a black blob on the center line on the 2d screen.  Looks good, dug down into the black sod, thru a thin layer of pea gravel, into some sandy clay, and pulled out a Buffalo! About 18" away I hit another similar sound , but a lot  more scratchy. Id said 26-27 mostly, the 2d screen showed a vertical black line down thru the center line. Dug down about the same depth, and out came a v nickel . Awesome haven't dug one of those in years.  Then near by  2 wheaties, about 7". Again one was real clear, the other cent was a lousy signal, but the 3 ID's gave enough hints that it could be good.  about 25 ft from the 2 nickels, I dug a 97 nickel. 

The Buffalo is a 1916-S . I can only see the top half of the 1, but the 6 is clear. The V nickel is a 1908.   One wheat is a 36P , the other one is solid green.  

I'll be taking the 5 x 8 coil back there next time. It feels good to now know of a hotspot for oldies in the park. I can use that area to get back in the groove. And get that manti tuned for the old stuff. Lots of old trash there as well. But patience will pay off.  I'm loving the manti! That machine really locks onto nickels.   The lousy signal on the v nickel was from iron in the hole. 1/4" iron stain on the back of the nickel. 

DSC09325.thumb.JPG.85cf193e832d9a9baa365b2f735f53c2.JPG

That's awesome. Keep going! My old house was built in 1929. Think I could get an old coin? Nope lots of pennies from the 1980's though.

Your finding your groove now.  It seems to always take me a hunt or two on a new site to really get dialed in for the targets that aren't gimmes.

6 hours ago, Lost Scout said:

My old house was built in 1929. Think I could get an old coin?

Look closer to the property lines or fence, also find out where the outhouse was located.

Great hunt and I love the old parks.

Good luck on your next outing.

Good showing for your return to the site !  Those things were probably there when you first detected it.🥸 And they waited for you to come back ! 👍