I've been reading the forum for a bit. I've decided on purchasing an Axiom as my first PI machine. 
I've read the Axiom forum and  ergonomics is important to me.  It seems like a good first PI with an intuitive menu. 
I do have a few questions? 

is the control and battery compartment water resistant? Will it withstand rain? 

Does the axiom come with wireless headphones or do I need to purchase the Z link separately? 

1 hour ago, CarsonChris said:

I've been reading the forum for a bit. I've decided on purchasing an Axiom as my first PI machine. 
I've read the Axiom forum and  ergonomics is important to me.  It seems like a good first PI with an intuitive menu. 
I do have a few questions? 

is the control and battery compartment water resistant? Will it withstand rain? 

Does the axiom come with wireless headphones or do I need to purchase the Z link separately? 

Good choice for the money.

The Axiom is rain resistant.

It's available in 2 different packages. One of them comes with wireless headphones. The international package comes with wired headphones, not even sure it's available in the US but it might be.

• Like 1

Like Andy said rain resistant and fully submersible to pod if you want to wade, but not fully dunkable. I'd use mine in pouring rain with no cover without concern.

I'm not a fan of the Garrett phones - too spoiled by high end models. The Garrett are ok and probably fine for lots of people but I have hearing loss and really need high quality sound and dual volume controls. So while the Axiom does come with wireless phones I use either my Sun Ray Pro Gold directly plugged in or with the WR-1 receiver.

But even better news is the external speaker is so good and with enough volume that in most locations these days I use no headphones at all. The Sun Rays only come out if it gets windy or I'm real close to other people.

• Like 2

I really appreciate all the work that Garrett and Steve H. did to make the Axiom work so well in the USA/North America.

For me so far, it has been almost a dream PI detector. Easy to setup, easy to swing and it finds gold and deep coins, jewelry and relics for sure almost effortlessly. 

I know that it has not had the best reception in OZ and I accept that.

Here in the USA, it is working great for me wherever I have used it. 

I don't care for the audio quality of the MS-3 headphones (don't like the wired MS-2s either).

It is one of those detectors that I always look forward to using and I hate it when I have to turn it off at the end of a hunt.

• Like 4

I don't really care for the Garrett headphones either. I just bought the WR-1 receiver and now use my killer bee headphones which sound much better IMO.

• Like 3

What is interesting is I get the same sound quality plugged into the WR1 as I do plugged in directly, so Z-Lynk itself has the bandwidth to carry high quality audio. I assume the Ms-2 and Ms-3 are simply using a lower quality speaker than the Sun Ray, Gray Ghost, Killer Bee etc but then those all do cost twice as much or more.

• Like 3

It's definitely the headphone speaker quality and has little or nothing to do with Garrett's wireless system. 

Maybe it would be possible to upgrade the MS-3 speakers or use different baffling on the present MS-2/3 speakers......

• Like 2

The MS-3 has integrated WR1 and looks like swapping to a better speaker set would be pretty easy for anyone with minimal electronics skill.

https://md-hunter.com/opening-the-garrett-ms-3-wireless-headphones/

Of course the other issue with the MS-3 is intermittent drop out which is largely alleviated with the WR1 module since you can place the WR1 for best reception. So now we pull module and battery out of MS-3 and make our own WR1. :smile:

• Like 1

For a newbie like me, I think the supplied wireless headphones are good, but because of several recommendations on this forum, Ive gone to the Avantree Torus headphone/speakers with bluetooth transmitterfor hot summer detecting. They work pretty good too and are way more comfortable in the heat.

• Like 4