Chinese Nokta Legend Clone!

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

The capacitor plague story is a good one, I was a technician at the height of it dealing with the problem, it was a Japanese thief that caused it, and most of the faulty capacitors were made in Taiwan, wasn't so much a China production issue as a Japan/Taiwan problem.

It's a good story on Wiki to read, it affected just about every brand and went well become computer equipment.

The same cause though- Thievery.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2024 at 1:26 AM, phrunt said:

... if its stolen Nokta's software/hardware ... 

Software and hardware same. You can connect mf50 to PC and install original software from original Nokta utility. 

Looks like their security was a bit more lax than the other detectors that are encrypted, bugger for Nokta, the market is going to be flooded with these things in no time.

The Chinese have an Industry wholly focused on commercial espionage. Ex Chinese Spy Agency personnel have huge networks of agents that only infiltrate and steal codes, plans and docs via electronic means. They target defense and tech companies mainly. Fairly easy work for them and lucrative. Minelab/Codan have been a target in the past and I'd imagine Nokta has now become another target.

1 hour ago, Aureous said:

The Chinese have an Industry wholly focused on commercial espionage. Ex Chinese Spy Agency personnel have huge networks of agents that only infiltrate and steal codes, plans and docs via electronic means. They target defense and tech companies mainly. Fairly easy work for them and lucrative. Minelab/Codan have been a target in the past and I'd imagine Nokta has now become another target.

Yep, they have entire buildings dedicated to reverse-engineering, tear-downs, and dissecting software code as well. They get their hands on something you better know they are taking it apart to learn everything they can and then begin creating prototypes based off what they learned.

It doesn't make them look good but they don't care. If they manufacture it and people buy it then who is really to blame? The ones who stole/copied or the ones who knew it was a copy and bought it?

If on the other hand, a Chinese company (or any company for that matter regardless of where they are located) comes up with their own designs from top to bottom it is not as frowned upon. One thing is for sure though, definitely no shame in their game from China. If it is out there just know they will tear it down our of sheer curiosity.

Most businesses pull apart and analyse competitor products, it's what they do with what they learn that counts, some things are protected, some things are not, those that are not are copied, it's how it's always been and why many of our detectors look and function alike 🙂

Happens with coils too, shortly after one brand releases something new, others are sure to follow, no patents so it's a free for all.  

The concept comes out by the original inventors then there is a scramble to make another version of the same product, in most cases doing it legally by avoiding protected methods, although patents don't apply in every country, some don't follow the same rules.

In China is wasn't possible for many decades to patent pharmaceuticals, they were forced to change that to be able to sell their products internationally.  The idea of no patents on them was so that they were widely available for everyone at cheaper pricing.   Fortunately, the WTO allows the World's poorest countries to copy pharmaceuticals and ignore patents on them.

I don't know enough about it, but China does follow patent laws, which allows them to do a lot of international trade, they often file the most patents in a year out of all countries as they're a big manufacturing country and do have a lot of their own innovation, they just seem to lack the policing required to prevent a lot of these black-market goods.  I guess when you've got a country of 1.4+ billion people, everything is harder.  China does often seem the target, but the fact is countries like India are worse and a far bigger problem ranking right near the bottom.

This wasn't "China" that cloned the Legend, it was an individual business based in China.

Here are the Best and Worst Countries for Intellectual Property Protection (chiefexecutive.net)

What may come as a surprise is China ranks higher than Turkey on the international IP protection rankings.

China

Turkey

The best thing we can do as customers, is support the genuine companies, and not buy the fakes.  I'd rather give my money to Nokta for a real Legend than buy a fake one even if it was working the exact same for a discounted price.   They deserve the money for putting in the effort to make it in the first place.

• The topic was locked