A Few Of My Union Cw Buttons

Just a few US buttons I've framed. I need to get more framed ASAP. Keeps them protected as they are fragile. 

Relic US buttons 1.jpg

Impressive collection thanks for sharing.

That is a very nice way to display them.

Thanks!

A lot of those are in fantastic condition, awesome finds! I assume those are the cream of the crop first deserving of getting framed. What kind of ratio do you get on great condition finds versus scummy corroded finds? In other words, how rare are the cleaner buttons overall? Are there conditions that favor the buttons being preserved in better condition i.e. soil type, fertilized versus non-fertilized ground, etc.?

Steve, a lot has to do with the soil. Some areas have high concentrations of fertilizers, acidity or minerals conductive to decay. When we hit the massive Union trash pit at the railway depot in downtown Nashville, we recovered hundreds of army brogans/shoes, a few knee boots with the Nashville makers cartouche stamped on the leather, belts, cartridge boxes, wood items, buttons but the best plate I recovered had no normal patina (US breast plate). Some of the buttons had not patina to speak of as well as other brass items. But normal sites will yield a typical "chocolate brown" patina or a mix of brown/green (green is the copper leeching to the surface). I've seen buttons in VA fall apart in the diggers hand, including a 3 piece Georgia staff officers button. The digger was so excited to share the find he licked his thumb to remove some of the sandy soil but upon rubbing across the face of the button, it shattered like a birds egg. I've very careful when cleaning my buttons, especially the two or three piece examples. These are only a few of my US examples. I randomly put some in button cases but I have others that need framing. I'm posting the breast plate I recovered. Some might think it was non dug but it came out of the pit, along with 1/2 of a Confederate shell jacket with 4 KMI (Kentucky Military Institute) buttons on it. I'll post that in the future. Thanks for asking. 

Relic Breast plate 1st found from Nashville pit.jpg