This Guy Is Taking Dredging To A New Level With His Designs

A well know prospector from home is doing a lot of research and design   with bilge pumps and dredging. He has already designed impellers with a remarkable increase of 39.8% efficiency from 12 volt electric bilge pumps. He is now designing  a dredge  which can be operated by using a bilge pump with a dredging system, on a more portable basis for rivers and beach sands. I thought I would show you his work so far and the direction he is headed.

His dredge design video link below..........

His impeller designs below.

Thanks John, his improved impeller design is interesting, I used DWV PVC fittings from the hardware store to make mine, a 40mm 45 degree fitting with a internal reducer to create the venturi. Nothing new about that, I'm sure I'm not the first to try that approach. I decided a power jet system would be the easiest to use in the field, I coupled it to a 2000 gal./hr bilge pump. It works great, but my testing was done at the beach using sand. The challenging part for me was in a stream or river sucking different size material, the nozzle design is critical to stop blockages, as is the operating method, it's easy to go too fast and also create blockages. The other thing I found was that the gold was staying in the hose in low points, not getting to the sluice, yes we all know gold is heavy. To state the obvious, ribbed hose is not a good idea, I found clear copper wound/ reinforced hose to be the best. If I was to revisit this system I would reduce the hose and power jet system size, but It's gathering dust, I've gone to sniping, the rivers we work have the gold in the cracks in the bedrock, with very little in the gravels. Thank again for the links.