Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

What Vdi Are Your Buffs & V Nics Coming In At?

If anyone is interested in the "war nickel" thing, we have an ongoing thread over at Findmall, discussing this very thing, and some research I've done into the issue.  Yes, Snohomish; what you dug and what it ID'd at is unusual, but NOT unprecedented...

Link deleted since Findmall Forum update broke all old links

Steve

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/30/2018 at 10:11 PM, steveg said:

If anyone is interested in the "war nickel" thing,...

Sorry for the 6 week delay in response.  I just found this thread.  (Wonder how much other good stuff I've missed....)

Absolutely I'm interested and applaud your dogged effort.  I have four rolls of Warnicks which I collected over the years (not from the ground) which I'm going to VID today with the Equinox 800.  I'll let you know what I find.

Besides the hyphotheses I've mentioned before (and not unique since I see some of the findmall posters coming up with the same speculation) is 'evolution' of composition while in the ground, and regional distribution (since you guys in OKC area are finding multiples).

Regarding the numismatic community being interested, there is no doubt in my mind they are.  They get excited about less likely/unusual anomolies than that.  Off metal strikes are not super rare.  I think they typically occur on a few coin basis (relatively speaking, I don't literally mean 'few'), though, rather than a moderately consistent fraction such as you have seen.  And as you note, it's something that doesn't get a lot of attention, probably because until recently it was difficult to determine.  As far as getting resistance when you first brought up the subject, this is natural.  For example, suppose some new person showed up here with such an idea.  They wouldn't immediately be congratulated -- readers would want more evidence.  And we know how metal detectors work, just from experience alone.  (Oh, wait, maybe we're experiencing deja vu. ?)

I wish I still worked with X-ray equipment.  I would have snuck a few of your specimens into lab.  (Shush.  Don't tell the gov'ment.)

• Like 1

I was fortunate enough to dig an 1897 V Nickel at an old park yesterday.  In the ground (about 9") it was a solid and repeatable 11 TID.  I air tested it after cleaning and it read 12-13, just as a nickel should.  I credit depth and soil conditions to the lower reading in the ground. ~Tim

• Like 2

Wow... this post still has legs on it. So, 9 months after I posted this;

I'm quite proficient at the nickel finds now as time goes by. I dig all signals at 11,12,13,14. Below and above that I walk away. 

12/13 seems to be the hot TID but they also bounce around at 11 and 14. Dig em all. 

In case I didn't post this here.... over 300 nickels and V's, buffs and a war nickel in the past several months. The ratio is pretty good. 

Not to mention I dug a nice 18k gold ring and a gold buddha pendant off nickel signals. 20181224_103356-001.jpg.c04a9145b2223f8781cc620efef560ba.jpg

20181224_113601.jpg

• Like 6

4 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Sorry for the 6 week delay in response.  I just found this thread.  (Wonder how much other good stuff I've missed....)

Absolutely I'm interested and applaud your dogged effort.  I have four rolls of Warnicks which I collected over the years (not from the ground) which I'm going to VID today with the Equinox 800.  I'll let you know what I find.

Besides the hyphotheses I've mentioned before (and not unique since I see some of the findmall posters coming up with the same speculation) is 'evolution' of composition while in the ground, and regional distribution (since you guys in OKC area are finding multiples).

Regarding the numismatic community being interested, there is no doubt in my mind they are.  They get excited about less likely/unusual anomolies than that.  Off metal strikes are not super rare.  I think they typically occur on a few coin basis (relatively speaking, I don't literally mean 'few'), though, rather than a moderately consistent fraction such as you have seen.  And as you note, it's something that doesn't get a lot of attention, probably because until recently it was difficult to determine.  As far as getting resistance when you first brought up the subject, this is natural.  For example, suppose some new person showed up here with such an idea.  They wouldn't immediately be congratulated -- readers would want more evidence.  And we know how metal detectors work, just from experience alone.  (Oh, wait, maybe we're experiencing deja vu. ?)

I wish I still worked with X-ray equipment.  I would have snuck a few of your specimens into lab.  (Shush.  Don't tell the gov'ment.)

I wish you still worked with the X-ray equipment also, LOL!  (and I won't tell!)  LOL!

I'll be interested in hearing what you find out when you run those war nicks with your EQX...

To me, this is fascinating!  I just wish I could get the coin community more "excited" about it; if they were less "skeptical" about this, they could definitely help to unravel the mystery...

Steve

• Like 1

5 hours ago, steveg said:

I'll be interested in hearing what you find out....

Didn't get as much done as I had hoped, but got through the first roll (40 coins).  Nothing of note yet.  Everything was 13 plus or minus.  But 160 to go and I only need one outlier to add to your mounting evidence.  More tomorrow.

WOW, GB_Amateur...40 so far, and ALL of them reading "like a nickel should?!"  

The mystery deepens...

Seve

For the life of me I still can’t find a Nickel in the wild outside of 12-13. I don’t know if it’s the Mode I run in (Park 1-Multi) my settings or just my Detector.. I didn’t keep track of my modern Nickels but I dug around 20 Buffalo and V Nickels with the Nox in 2018.  I dug 2 Shield Nickels and unlike others they did not bounce at all. Neither would come off 12. Shield Nickels are slightly smaller then the Nickels that came after them.

Depth did not seem to affect the numbers. Most of these coins were between 6 and 8 inches with a few including a Shield Nickel reaching up to 10 inches. (The 15” Coil is a Beast!)

I can get a small percentage of Nickels to flash outside of 12-13 when air testing if I wave them over the coil on edge  so I know it’s possible, just rare for my setup.

Bryan

• Like 1