GPX Help For A Beginner Please?

Steve,i am aware that this is a very old thread and thanks for bringing back upto the top again,must admit it been a tremendous help and explained in laymans language so even i can fully understand it.....i wont be nugget hunting with it as solely will be using it for hoard/artefact hunting here in good old Blighty.

Many thanks for all your information.

• 3 weeks later...

On 3/24/2015 at 6:20 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

This is as simple a basic guide as I can imagine, and simple is often best. You can get a GPX real screwed up fiddling with the settings! So the most important tip of all is The Factory Reset......

This response is exactly why I had a 5000 for a long time and have never even used it once. I bought it when I had lots of motivation and $$$ obviously but had 0 time. Especially when I had an E-trac that was so easy to use. Well fast forward 5-10 years and I finally am ready to start playing around with it. All 3 kids are out into the world, I'm down from 3 jobs to 1, and side businesses is also down to 1. Plenty of time during the week to get familiar with the 5000. This noob guide is greatly appreciated. With that I have a serious question. Pretty sure I have all the pieces and bits that came with it. However after looking through 3 giant tubs of cables, chargers and the like I am not 100% sure I have the "mains charger" anymore. I'm an electronics and computer guy so I've built a lot of "stuff" over the years so I have a question for those that have a GPX5000 currently. I do have a charger that looks like the picture in the GPX 5000 ads. However on the back of the charger it says that the output is 24v. Is that what your chargers say too? I used the car charger to attempt to charge the Liion pack on my way to work today considering that is over 1 hour and I have my DIY 12V battery that I built for field operations of my bilge pump as I posted in another forum with a cigarette lighter option on it seeing it if can still hold a charge without being used for ever. But I am not sure about the internal controls I.e. wiring or bms of the battery and would rather not connect a 24v charger to a 7.4 Liion without checking with others that have one.  

So those that do have one, would you be so kind as to get a magnifying glass out and tell me what it says on your mains charger. Mine says 120/240 input and 24Vdc and (I don't remember the amps) for output. I left it at the other house😭

Guidance appreciated in advance!

This is my stop gap solution. Seems I can't edit my previous post ( or I haven't figured out how yet)

PXL_20240311_150617146.jpg

NVR mind I saw a post by Phrunt via Google that has a close up of the charger and the one I have is exactly the same so Yeah! 

Thanks to anyone that answers without seeing this first. 👍