Hi All. Im totally new to all this fun and looking for a little advice....I hope you'll bear with me! I recently decided to build a little sluice for fun in and around the waterways of the UK. having researched it seems the vortex dream mat gets a lot of good press but the price and availability for me in the uk (for what might be  only a passing fad - at the moment ) is too steep. I am lucky to have access to 3d modelling software and mould making erquipment and thought Id give making one a go. Im reaching out to see If anyone has one on this forum and if they could confirm a few dimensions? Fingers crossed and thanks in advance....

990678A9-22F7-4544-8ECF-4E667C273872.jpeg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, big dreamer said:

Im reaching out to see If anyone has one on this forum and if they could confirm a few dimensions?

It’s possible, if you post what it is you are trying to confirm. Dimensions of what?

• Like 1

On 7/12/2020 at 1:53 PM, big dreamer said:

Im reaching out to see If anyone has one on this forum and if they could confirm a few dimensions?

How big of a sluice are you wanting to make?

I would start with that first and then the mat would fill the inside except for the funnel top section.

For the top I would look at the standard Keene sluice and make it like that  with the rubber mat at the funnel.

Place your insert inside the remainder of the sluice.

Something about 1 1/2 meters long should work for the creeks where you are at. Make the sluice out of aluminum including the funnel for ease of carrying to your location.

Most small sluices are about .15 meters wide with others about .254 meters and they do a great job.

I have made standard sluices from wood and metal and have had good luck with them.

I would like to hear how yours works when you make it. I do like the design of what you have so I will watch this thread for your reply.

• Like 1

There is more to getting the gold than just making a sluice box.....

First and foremost. What is the gold like in your area? 

Is it course gold? Or is it very fine gold?

And yes it does make a difference in what your recovery is going to be.

Coarse gold and nuggets are easy to catch....... Fine gold is another and very different story.

Give us some additional info and we will be better able to help you.

Oh.... and I don't speak metric.....:biggrin:

F43B97EB-AEB4-4522-A1A4-7B1CB7E3CA2B.jpeg

6EDA6E42-39F1-4FBE-A712-E931540E9254_1_201_a.jpeg

• Like 4

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Skookum
      Have you ever wished for a smaller classifier that fits your small pan for remote, hiking and sampling purposes?  Here’s something that may work at least until any manufacturer decides that small pans deserve matching classifiers, too.

1.  Select a pan that nests inside the one you want to use. 
      2.  Download and print a steel perforating template. 
      3.  Use some water soluble glue to affix the template to the bottom of your extra pan. 
      4.  Once the glue is dry, drill small pilot holes through the center of each circle on the template.  I used a 3/32 inch for the pilot hole.
      5. Next, use a larger drill bit to match the size of the holes on your template. I used 5/16 inch holes. Advance the bit carefully so as to not bite to quickly and crack your pan (like I did).
      6. Afterwards, soak and rinse off the template and glue. 
      The picture below is a 10” black pan nested inside a 10” blue pan.

• By Steve Herschbach
      Click on the button below and discover the features and innovation!
      XP Metal Detectors are launching a brand-new range of Gold Prospecting products.Take your Gold hunting to another level with our new range of XP Pans / Classifiers / Batea / Accessories. The XP Gold prospecting kit will be the perfect addition to your XP ORX high frequency metal detector – The ORX has proven to be one of the most efficient Gold detectors available on today’s market, offering performance and value for money. The XP Gold Pans, Classifiers, Batea and accessories offer the same outstanding quality found in all XP products. To get the BEST results you need to use the BEST kit !
      XP Metal Detectors have worked alongside some of the industries most respected gold prospecting professionals, they have helped design and develop our Gold Panning kits, to ensure you have the very best equipment in your hands.
      XP Gold Kit Features
      Includes the first 21st century batea!

• By Hello
      Hello,
      So I am a beginner and amateur, but interested in finding gold as well as old coins, old bullets from muskets etc, relics, etc with a metal detector in Sweden. I have many thoughts about this, which I hope you can help me with, so I would be very grateful.
      I list my thoughts and questions below.

1. I was thinking about hearing what you think about the possibility of finding natural gold (gold grains, etc.) in Sweden in, for example, streams, etc., with a metal detector adapted to search for and find small gold grains?
      I found a website that has an article on it: http://www.detektorist.se/metalldetektor-guld/
      If I understand them correctly, they mean:
      - The gold you find in Sweden unlike, for example, the USA and other countries (where you can often find the whole gold nuggets, unlike in Sweden where you find mostly small gold grains if you are lucky?) Is too small for a metal detector to find or almost impossible. It needs to be at least 3 milimeters for a metal detector to found it and may only be a few cm below the ground.
      - And that gold is not flattened in Sweden, which makes it even more difficult to find.
      - That gold is most often found in mineralized soil, which makes it difficult for the metal detector to get real signals, distinguish gold from other metal, etc.
      With that in mind, do you think it's worth it? Or waste of money? Or do you think it is wasteful and almost impossible to find gold in Sweden with a metal detector even if it is adapted for it?
      I am also interested as I said to find old coins etc. Should I put down the idea of finding naturally gold in Sweden, and buy a cheaper but good detector that is more focused on old coins, old bullets from muskets etc, than one that is most focus on finding natural gold?

2. Here I can buy in Sweden, "Professional metal detectors - metal seekers for prospectors looking for gold and minerals": https://www.guldstrom.se/sv/guld-mineralletning
      The metal detectors for seeking gold is:
      - Minelab Equinox 800
      - Minelab Gold Monster 1000
      - Minelab GPX 4500
      - Minelab SCD 2300 Guld detektor
      - Garrett ATX
      - Minelab X-Terra 705
      - XP ORX metalldetektor
      - Gold Rush tour 2020 Australia
      - Minelab GPZ 7000 Gold detector
      - Minelab GPX 5000
      - Fisher Gold Bug 2
      - Garrett AT Gold

Would you recommend any of these?

3. I did send the swedish company an email and they answered:

"Without a doubt, the best detector right now is the Minelab Gold Monster 1000 so this is the one to look for if you want to look for gold in Sweden.
      It also manages to find mineralized stones and it can differentiate between mineralized stones and solid metal.
      It is also excellent for exploring in streams and streams and the search coil is waterproof so it works great. The GM 1000 automatically adjusts itself so there are no knobs or buttons to turn on but just "whip and drive".
      You can find a really small gold grain -1mm in about 5 cm
      A larger gold grain of 3mm can be found in 10 cm
      A large gold grain of 4mm can be found in about 15 cm"

If it is true on detektoristen.se that a gold grain must be 3 mm in Sweden, then the Minelab Gold Monster 1000 finds a gold grain of 1mm of 5 cm, 3 mm of 10 cm etc., so it does not seem to be a problem? In addition, it seems to be adapted to find gold in mineralized soil.
      So do you think it can work well to find gold in Sweden with a metal detector like Minelab Gold Monster 1000, or what do you think?

Thank you very much.

• By Hepplewhite Explorations
      Since we cannot get out into the field to prospect properly right now, figured we'd share with you a piece of equipment we use for testing in our garage and also in the field for hard to get to places. Its great for hiking in, testing several locations and then coming back with larger equipment!!

Hope everyone is well, stay safe!

• By Jim in Idaho
      Along with working on the house this winter, I finally got around to drawing-up, and building a new driver for my shaker table.
      I really like Wilfley's designs, and wanted my driver to have the same adjustments as his. Working about 4 hours/day, it took me about 2 months to get it drawn and built, along with a few modifications that arose during the build. Finally finished yesterday, and made a video. I'm still polishing up the plans, and will probably have to disassemble it to take pics for the build instructions etc. I'll be selling the plans and, instructions at some point this spring, for the DIY clan.
      Jim

• By M1dn1ghtN1nj4
      OK, so this time around, I have made things a LOT easier to work with, and expandability is key here.  Sure, it's not huge, but for a portable system, this should work great.
      The key thing here is that I wanted a system that could be printed with little to no waste material, and yet have the structure and strength to hold up for a long time.  This is what I have come up with so far.  This will likely be my last design for this version.  I'm only tweaking a few dimensions here, as well as making new modules that can be added to it.

Features:
      Modules are 276mm long by 104mm wide, max height of 106mm (virtually) unlimited stackability Use modules in any order you want Use whatever sluice mat you want (to a point) Best used with a 5 gallon bucket (self-recirculating water system) Current Modules:
      Feed hopper Mat tray Bottom Support  
      Key note here is that those modules, even with the tilt, print FLAT on a printer, and unless something drastic changes, will require NO supports.  That means nothing to clean up after the print is done.  Pull it off the printer, and use it right away!
      The cutaway view shows you how it currently operates.  I did away with the "G-Force" drop whatever that the Gold Cube has.  I wanted better flow, and didn't think that part was completely necessary.  Some of those angles might change by the time the final version rolls around.  I am still waiting on my four 200GPH water pumps so I can physically test flow rates.
      I know this is still very small compared to a lot of the others that you can shovel hundreds of pounds a day into, but this is meant more for fine cleanup or to run pre-classified material through, although this should be able to do a bit of classifying on it's own.
      Also, as I design more modules, I might include a couple modules that will spray wash and classify before sending down the smaller material to be run over the mats.
      I would also like to design a sort of trommel as one of the modules.  Would have to be geared to run off of some water pressure, so I don't have to include a motor and all the electronics and extra building parts that come with it.  This is one part that would have to be made from metal, as anything printed would get destroyed very quickly, so I'm still contemplating this one.  Remember, this system isn't meant to drop boulders into.  I'd say you can safely feed in no larger than 8-mesh material.  Depending on water flow, you might get away with 4-mesh, but I wouldn't count on it.
      More info coming as I get more work done, and get a chance to print some physical models.