16 minutes ago, Tom Slick said:

Your Family Heirloom is a US Military trenching pick.

That explains a lot (possibly how it got into the family collection).  Do you think the Navy (ground crews, etc.) used them?  My father in law, among other things, built runways on South Pacific islands during WWII, often by planing down the coral with dozers, etc.  This came from his (utilitarian) tool collection.  His PBY squadron was often the first to set foot on an island after it was 'made safe' by the Marines.

Thanks for that tidbit.  Sometimes I post questions here and barely get a response.  This thread has produced quite a few valuable replies.  Thanks to all.

• Like 1

4850C7D1-87CA-451E-A821-713D6E3AC720.thumb.jpeg.cb5a7bc3a3cd22f41396948c234ca8b7.jpegWest marine sells a product that will do some amazing restoration to rotted wood I used some to restore the wood inside the transom of an old fiberglass boat I put back into service. This was a 2 part epoxy injected into the area that had lost integrity due to dry rot using a mixing nozzle attached to the cartridge. What was basically saw dust sandwiched between fiberglass after injecting the epoxy into a series of small holes drilled into the fiberglass filling all the voids after curing was solid as a rock....but, it was kind of pricy and definitely cost you more than a new handle.

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Swegin
      This may be the wrong form but here goes.  I know Bill stopped making these but does anyone know where I could get the hand crank handle assembly?

• By nickeldNdimed
      Want to get a sand scoop for the beach. Search did not come up with a good discussion here.  Looking for suggestions.
      Use 2-3 times a year, salt water, wet and dry use. A travel type scoop would be nice for travel and storage. 

Not wanting to spend $300 on high end since it won’t see the heavy use in the near term. I like the RTGs but there are so many options!  Length, scoop size, material/weight. The travel scoop with 2 piece handle seems nice but I have read it has a crappy connection with a sheet metal type screw?  Scoopal and the Nokta scoops are tempting but I could see breaking these. 

Thoughts?
    • By kac
      First proto, I will be testing. 4 1/4" x 10" blade, 40" overall. 2.15 lbs. Integrated foot peg so it doesn't hang up, couple root cutters to reduce side kick.
      Thoughts?

• By brogansown
      Although we own Minelabs-Equinox, GP's & other detectors, more and more often my brother Jim and I are using the Gold Bug 2.  We've discovered that when we find a patch and after the small nuggets are found, tiny pieces still remain.  At the end stage, we can get even more pieces by raking the area.  Jim made me this collapsible rake, from a tiny collapsible four tine rake and a welded-on eight tine piece.  I can carry it in my backpack and it looks like just the tool for those tiny pieces.

• By Nokta Detectors
      NEW FROM NOKTA MAKRO STAINLESS STEEL PREMIUM SHOVEL WITH COLLAPSIBLE T-HANDLE! • Laser Print Ruler • Wide Footrest • Double-Sided Bottle Opener • Collapsible Shaft 80.5 - 97 cm (31.5" - 38") • 24 cm (9.4") Blade with Teeth on Each Side • 16 cm (6.3") Handle
    • By kac
      Kept snapping the wood handle I had for my sand scoop so I snagged a snow rake extension that has spring clips and insert for around $15. Now I can take the handle off so it fits in my car easier and should hold up well. It seems very sturdy with the ribbed walls. Overall length is cut to 48" including the scoop.