I Wish Fisher Would Make A Digital Cz Quicksilver

1 hour ago, GB_Amateur said:

Weren't the USA nickels thrown in with higher conductive coins?  Were the CZ's 5 tones or 4 tones?

In standard tune, nickels are high tone, as are other US coins. The CZ 6, 6a and 5 were three tones as were the CZ7 versions. The CZ 70 is 4 tone and the CZ3d is four tone. Oh, and the CZ20 and 21 are 3 tone.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

3 hours ago, nickeldNdimed said:

How much would you pay for one if you dream came true?  

Price of an F75 back in the day, $1200?

Would it have to cost no more than an Equinox 800?

No more than whatever the future Nokta Multiplex?

I missed the 1990's detecting window (and a couple other decades, too).  If I had been detecting then it's quite likely I would have had one, and really liked it.  In the last 2-3 years, a couple times I've thought about getting a used one.  But I think your 3rd question is the most relevant.  I'll add to that -- even at less than $1000 price tag, would it have to outperform an Equinox 800?

One thing about detector manufacturer loyalty -- it's not selective.  Unless you (general pronoun, I'm not singling out nickedNdimed) have been hiding under a rock the last couple of weeks (see the GPX 6000 threads) it's quite obvious Minelab has them, too.  Unfortunately for First Texas, Minelab's fanclub has been growing while FT's has been shrinking.

Is the Garrett Apex the equivalent of a digital version of the Fisher CZ?  OK, that's semi-rhetorical.  The point is that it needs to be more than simply a digitzed CZ.  That likely would have been a winner if they had done it 10 years ago.  Maybe the T2, F75, Frat Brothers, and Gold Bug family were their digital CZ.  Admittedly none of those are simultaneous multi-frequency but apparently FT decided siMF wasn't the direction to go.  Hindsight is 20/20 and I'll leave it at that.

• Like 4

Yeah, I was holding out before jumping into an Equinox hearing anytime now Garrett, Fisher, Whites would come out with a competitive multiuse, multi frequency unit. 

I may have purchased a waterproof Apex over an Equinox, Multi MX Sport, Digitized CZ and even paid a little premium over the Equinox. I was rooting for them to come out with something to my buddy finding cool stuff with his Equinox. 

But got tired of waiting to see what the fuzz was about with Equinox and . Made some good finds, not crazy about ergonomics (on a quest to fix this for me!). 

Anyway, still hoping for something compelling to come.  

Still curious what the price point would have to be for the remaining loyal to bite!  Probably hard to compete with Malaysia and Turkey manufacturing  rates....

I bought my CZ20 in 1998 and still use it to this day. It didn't take me long to see what a great performer it is on the wet sand. My intention was that I would use it for water hunting and possibly diving. I tried water hunting and didn't like it and I never got into diving because the gear was too expensive. So I ended up just using the CZ20 on the wet sand. The performance is great but as a beach detector it sucks. Hip mounting is a hassle, the hardwired headphones are crap, and you can't change coil sizes. 

I would love to see a beach version of the CZ20 but there probably aren't many out there like me who could be happy without a VDI screen or built in speaker.

I've said this many times but I'll bet they could easily design a modern CZ for the beach that would rival the Equinox on both performance and price.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Badger-NH said:

I ended up just using the CZ20 on the wet sand. The performance is great but as a beach detector it sucks. Hip mounting is a hassle, the hardwired headphones are crap, and you can't change coil sizes.

If you're not taking it into the water, aren't the non-waterproof CZ's an option?  Or won't they adjust for wet (salt) sand?

5 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

If you're not taking it into the water, aren't the non-waterproof CZ's an option?  Or won't they adjust for wet (salt) sand?

I normally pack a CZ6a with the FZ-12 coil on it as a back up when I go to the salt water beaches. If the waterproof detector has an issue I can just do the beach with the splash resistant CZ6a. Does great over the wet salt sand. I personally don't care whether it has a display or not for beach work ... I just need to hear it well. On it's standard shaft the ergonomics are not great, but is a lot lighter than a CZ20 or CZ21. A modern water proof equivalent with great ergonomics would be a hit in my opinion.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Badger-NH said:

I've said this many times but I'll bet they could easily design a modern CZ for the beach that would rival the Equinox on both performance and price.

Seems like they already have somewhat of a coil selection 10.5, 8, and 5”

maybe just need waterproof connections to the new box.

Why even digital and screen?  Maybe miniaturize AQ style, s-shaft and straight shaft options, coil options....  some of the hardware and design is almost there....

Something compelling..... price, I’m not sure about. They still want 800-1200 for latest varieties. 

8627B51E-E2CD-48D2-932B-02DB332B96C9.jpeg

68C13CE5-2393-4947-9E8C-DE4FAECD692F.jpeg

5EE5831C-CEAB-4887-B1A2-2E8555EEB20F.jpeg

83AFFA2E-727D-48C7-A8EA-0934C1B22F4C.jpeg

8103B9FA-AECB-435D-8E0D-CC622767520D.jpeg

43D27685-C820-4475-B433-2D01B98D8890.jpeg

F0ACA454-A1AB-4457-8E6D-E92A8E586DE4.jpeg

E5A95742-4F9A-4C0F-A089-BE45A59BB4CC.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GB_Amateur said:

I don't remember much about the old CZ series. I think they discontinued the line over 15 years ago. The last magazine ads ads I remember seeing were for the CZ-70. I think it had a salt mode but I don't know how good it was on the beach. I'd love to see Fisher come out with a new line of modern CZs.

The CZ-21 and CZ-3D could be considered living fossils.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Badger-NH said:

The CZ20 and CZ3D could be considered living fossils.

They still work well. And I am very much resembling the living fossil comment ... and hope to be still doing so for a while yet. When the kids were in high school they used to ask me what it was like to grow up with the dinosaurs. Now that they are in their late twenties and thirties they don't, but it is still amusing to think about.

Cheers!