Sweethome And Back - White's

I don't know how to start this off so I'd better just jump in feet first with this one Too,

I got in to the MXT's quite by accident and because of it I then I met Steve in the early days of AMD, I hung on to his every word and the more he taught me the more I wanted to know, So I decided to Specialize In one machine and that was the MXT-300 and then the pro and now The All Pro and I have many thousands of hours invested in the MXT somewhere between 3 to 4000 maybe more, but who cares, that's not important, And like Steve has done I sold all my other machines and I did own some very serious Gear.

I saw the Video and it was like getting a kick where it hurts from Whites because not only did they Ridicule a machine that I have pushed to the limits for about 5 or 6 years but they placed it lower than machines costing 4 or 500 Dollars less within their current product range, besides 3 to 4000 hours PLUS, using and testing the MXT's in some of the worst places on the planet, And yes I have other Whites machines too and on many forums I have done my best to promote Whites, So that Video to me is like getting a kick down south from a member of your family and in the past year alone I have spent somewhere between $5 to $7000.00 of my own money on Only White products, That Video was performed by a person who has extreme skills with computers and software, But I have 5 or 6 years of testing and using the MXT, I hope the people at Whites leave the serious side of testing to the learned People that reside here on this particular forum ABOVE all others, For a simple reason The People here actually care about what they are doing and using, they are not just digging up some ones lawn looking for stuff, They actually care about the products they use and want those products to be the Best that they can be, Certain members here could sell any machine on the planet, So I Urge YOU Whites to please work with Those such members because there Is a Resource Here for you to make use of like you have never Known,

I have Spent thousand of hours helping people with buying Whites products and supplying parts all over the world along with helping many others come to terms with their machines who have bought them on my recommendation, and because of one video I have had heated arguments with people whom I have always held in high regard and as friends, and it was all for nothing. And a lot more other nasty stuff has gone on behind the scenes too, I have never had to say sorry for being in the right so much in all my life. 

Many people here have used the MXT but they have all got side tracked and forgotten just how good it is even after all these years. I think that people need to go back to the MXT and put the fun back in to detecting/prospecting in junk filled sites, It can do way more than what most people remember about it and their want for other things has replaced there knowledge about what it Actually can and will do, The laws of physics dictate what a detector can do not people  and definitely NOT ME, I recently did my own video in reply to the video that Whites did and I also copied their tests,, I won't quote figures or numbers but their is no way would I trade this machine. If there was a better all round machine I would own it and my comments are not to try and convert others and I am not a Fan Boy, I look at this very seriously, It is about will it work where I am going and in strange lands it has become more of a test kit because if I am going somewhere unknown to me it is the perfect Tool for researching unknown areas, I have used it to locate Roman Villa's, WW II sites, Live munitions, Bomb fragments Gold, jewellery and coin hunting, in sites with over 5000 years of metal workings which lead me to discover a Neo-lithic site just for good measure.

john 

• Like 3

Thanks John,

I think I saw the video you speak of.

As just an average consumer of Whites products I never really gave much thought to the folks who have put their minds and in your case their heats into a product.  It's easy to take things for granted.  Your post puts an additional perspective into the purchase and use of a product.  For you, I can see it represents a big part of your life and it looks like you represented the MXT and Whites very well.  Sometimes companies don't take such things into consideration, they are just trying to sell a product in a very competitive environment. 

• Like 1

Thanks RW, Because I come from an engineering back ground from build V8 motors to working at British Aerospace type places, I tend to always want to know what makes things tick, So if I find something that grabs my attention I will give a good run round the park, I am more than willing to do what I can for people or any of these companies and it just so happens that I hit the jack pot so to speak using Whites machines and my mind wanting to know more had to find out why I had found such things in a test site used by every other company's sales Reps and 000's of users for over 45 years, Now it would be easy to say that "Oh maybe they hadn't been there that long, But they were very old so that had me hooked, from what I have learned I look at many machines now and say "yeah and", And that's as far as any of the machines in the last 5 to 10 years have inspired me,

With the exception of a certain Gold machine and Certain late starter who seem to have the same things at heart as us more serious users do it appears the rest of the market is a blank canvas, I and many others here must of been asking for certain simple changes to machines for the last 10 or 15 years and each time a new model comes out just like others here I rush to see if it has been done "Nope" and every chance to implement such changes have just gone out on the next high tide, that's happened 6 times now, 

The MXT series (4 in all) are great pieces of kit and the fact that the GMT was built upon the research that went in to build the MXT has got me stuffed why the MXT Pro or All Pro never got 5 smallish push pads in stead of 3 large ones like the GMT has with the +/- buttons that way it could of had the manual GB that people have been mentioning since about 2001,

To me that represents lost sales and loyal customers, The amount of Highly skilled prospectors/detectorists that are members here is incredible, Anyone who is Anyone is here from the 4 corners of the globe and with that knowledge base there is no reason why any of these companies can't set the detecting world on it's head and the quicker they do this the better it will for their sales and their position in the Detector market and being selfish the better it will be for us..

john  

The other day i pulled the trigger and bought myself a MXT All pro, and i love the damn thing. It is the first Whites detector that i have ever used, and only the second detector that i have ever owned. I based my decision for this one mostly based on the track record of this model. It has an impeccable record and reputaion. 

I assume the video you speak of is the comparison test between the mxt, the mx5, and the mx sport. When i watched it myself, i was still in debate on what to buy, and it was before this debate had started. And even to my extremely novice knowledge of  metal detectors something seemed funny about it. I'll have to see if i can find the one you did in response. It would be interesting to see since i am learning a new machine that is vastly different from the first one that i got and still have (an ace 250).

Keep on saying what needs to be said. In the meantime I am going to be out learning the new/old/proven reliable machine. 

• Like 2

Good for you,  There is nothing wrong with the MXT A/P I have one also there are more modern machine coming out almost every week, But once you get in to the Calibre of machine like the MXTs and a few New machines that have come from the far east you are talking about top shelf stuff and there is very little in it, and even in the most experience hands the MXT won't be out Gunned because it will work for the Novice or the Hard core user alike,

Heres my Video showing the recovery speed of the MXT A/P which is totally different to the other Video you mentioned  and if I can help just call and I will get back to you ASAP, Good Luck and I look forward to your evaluation.

http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/1765-mxt-separation-test/

John

On 3/27/2016 at 9:59 PM, auminesweeper said:

The MXT series (4 in all) are great pieces of kit and the fact that the GMT was built upon the research that went in to build the MXT has got me stuffed why the MXT Pro or All Pro never got 5 smallish push pads in stead of 3 large ones like the GMT has with the +/- buttons that way it could of had the manual GB that people have been mentioning since about 2001,

The GMT came first, MXT followed. The MXT Pro originally had 5 buttons, management said it was too complicated so I had to go with 3 and use pictures instead of words.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Geotech said:

The GMT came first, MXT followed. The MXT Pro originally had 5 buttons, management said it was too complicated so I had to go with 3 and use pictures instead of words.

G'day Carl long time no see,, great to see you again, And I thank you for having the foresight way back then and I have to agree with you a 100% and you were Right then and that idea would have been right even now, Thank you for trying and making the effort.

I was Quoting from the paper Dave J wrote saying that in 1998 that the company staff were tied up in project DFX so he was Engaged to make this new multipurpose machine (MXT) and the results were that Whites Got 2 machine the GMT and the MXT, I know the GMT hit the streets first so all I can say is what I read in Dave's paper.

Quote:- 

In January 1998, White's decided to develop a true multipurpose metal detector, with the kind of sensitivity it takes to be a real gold prospecting machine, and with computerized ground tracking for ease of use. White's in-house engineering staff was tied up on the project which eventually became the DFX. Therefore, in February White's asked me if I might be interested in taking on a new protect. I had a good track record on gold machines so it seemed like a good fit. I agreed.

A month later at a dealer seminar in Sacramento, California, Jimmy Sierra announced the project, and said if the engineer didn't deliver, the engineer would have to go into hiding in Mexico. I was sitting in the back.

We ran into one problem after another along the way. Jimmy, good chap that he is, didn't sic the thugs on me, though there were periods he was frustrated enough that the thought must have run through his mind. Although the project took longer than we expected we got two products out of it-the GMT and the MXT. END Quote.

But If I have this wrong I apologize,

Here's the full report for those who have not read it,.

.http://www.whiteselectronics.com/the-hobby/knowledge-base/field-reports/mxt

John

Just watch your video.....again. And it definitely contradicts the factory test video. Even to my novice abilities i can hear the target separation. Annnnnnnnnnnd you were swinging in both directions......annnnnnnnnnnd you added more targets. I just got back in from being out playing with mine at a local park and thought of your video when i was getting simular hits. Don't  know what they were, the ground is still a bit frozen here to dig them all. Kinda restricted to surface targets and one in the sand and gravel in the kiddie play areas. But i may just set up my own test and run over it with the mtx and the ace 250.....just for comparison.... like what you have done. If, for no other reason, to learn about the machine more.

• Like 1

I am glad the video made sense to you, I tried to keep it simple with no smoke and mirrors and with one hand constantly holding the Camera/Phone and the other moving the test pieces around

Now you have been out for a swing and heard all them signals no doubt they made you wonder what on earth was happening, And forget about people telling you theres a big learning curve because there is not, The MXT is like a car , Keys, Ignition, select drive and go,

To start off select the Relic mode and find a clean patch of Ground, Set your Gain/Sensitivity between 3 to 4, set your set your DISC to about 2.8-2.9, Set your Tracking switch to Ground and pump the coil up and down BUT don't lower the coil right to the Ground stop at about 4" above it for now and as you do that within 1 or 2 pumps of the Coil the machine will stop making noises At that point switch in to LOCK making sure to keep your coil above the ground but NOT waving it about either, Now if you want to be real picky hold the machine at waste high and turn the gain right up and if it starts to make a load of chattering noise's Turn your self and the machine point the coil in the direction of where the noise is coming from and when you have found where it is the worst, Turn the Gain down (SLOWLY) so it is running right on the edge BUT smooth (No Chattering) and off you Go,

Please Note these setting are to Get you up and Running and you will find 80-90% of the stuff in the Ground, Now if the machine starts to make noises as your coil gets close to the ground Just Press the Grab Button and release it within about half a second to one second and the machine will adjust it's self to the current ground conditions,  Once you get in to it and feel happy about how you and the machine are getting (Which won't be long) we can start a new Thread and get you firing on all 8 cylinders, Ok.

Good luck,, John.

• Like 1

Thanks John, I'll try those settings the next time i am out. Hopefully the weather clears up here. Rain at 36°F can get chilly.

• Like 1