Headphone Adapter - Broke Apart In MXT Pro

Hi there-

I have an odd question and wasn't sure where it put it in the forum. Since the issue occured while coinshooting, I figured I'd drop it here.

Long story short is a cheapie 1/4" headphone adapter broke apart inside the audio jack on my MXT Pro, and a piece of it is still lodged inside the jack. It's not like the adapter snapped off inside  -- it's more like upon attempting to pull it out of the jack, the adapter disassembled into it's component pieces, and the tip portion and a tiny, hollow metal tube protruding out of it is what's stuck inside the jack (I think). Whatever piece(s) is lodged inside is about 1/4" - 1/2" in from the surface of the box.

Like I said, cheap 1/4" adapter from a set of cheap headphones I was trying out.

Good news is the external speaker is still blaring just fine, so the machine isn't out of business by any means. I'd like to have the headphone option functioning, however, and obviously don't want to damage anything in the process.

Is this a problem anyone else has encountered? I'm wipe open to kind kind of solutions you might have.

Thanks!  

• Like 1

Slender forceps.

Is that the MXT Pro I sold you......get that baby fixed!!!!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Is that the MXT Pro I sold you......get that baby fixed!!!!

Sure is!

I've been having a blast with it hitting low trash parks using a 12" concentric coil I picked up on ebay. I had never used a concentric before, and man...the pinpointing with it is a dream. Definitely wanting to get the headphones back up and working in this cold weather.

Slender forceps sound like a viable option. The jack is too small for the needle-nosed pliers I have to fit inside.

• Like 3

One of the larger paperclips straightened out but with a short 90 degree hook on one end can reach inside and snag it out also.

I too have really had fun & good success with my recently  aquired MXT. Headphones, as always is a must. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, rvpopeye said:

Or,if that paper clip doesn't snag it enough to pull it out . Try putting a drop of super glue on it first and wait a minute before pulling on it..

That's the method computer techs use, when anything like a nail clipper, forceps, or needle noise pliers won't work.

Yeah , I'm a road tron. High volume division.🥸 

Have repaired a lot of such failures with whatever was on hand. 

There might be small bits left inside floating around.....especially a stereo plug . tip  ring sleeve

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice, everyone!

I'm going to give the forceps and paperclip suggestions a go, but I'll save the super glue option as a last ditch manuver -- if I miss the target and get glue stuck inside the jack itself, it feels like i'd have a more permanent issue on hand.

• Like 1