Larger Pinpointer With More Power & Depth

Guest Paul (Ca)

Hello Jim,

Thank you for the interest with the GoldQuest and HH, these are considered simple Pi's yet very effective.

Both lack a Ground balance, but under right conditions are extremely effective Pi's. The GoldQuest SS I have was originally modified by Scott with the help of Reg Smith with adding on a filter, This filter was needed to handle harsh mineralization. Coupled with a DD coil this modified GQ SS could handle most tough mineralization.

Later, Scott sold the GQ to me. After a few hunts, Seen the potential of a powerful pi for both West Coast ocean wet sand and for our harsh fresh water mineralization...So I modified Scott's land Pi into a waterproof pi, then added the inline Probe made by Eric Foster for the GQ. 

For the longest time, this was the best waterproof pi on the west coast operating at 10us.

(Depth with HH Pi with Probe) Depth is very good in water but remember these Pi's don't have a GB, and due to our harsh fresh water mineralization sometimes I'll need to adjust the delay. Otherwise it's pretty good, just need to know it's limitations.

(Comparing the GQ and ATX) that's a tough one, under right conditions the GQ is a joy to use, here's an example. At a recent dry fresh river bed we've been detecting, the GQ operates flawless great depth and scored my latest 14k ring. No issues without a GB it ran so smooth and deep, about as close to the ATX maybe an inch or two less. ....However, These are under perfect conditions. Under these conditions, both the GQ and ATX fair about the same and both are waterproof when water is released from our Dam I'll be happy as a lark with either one because both are hot on small gold.

For ocean, Well again both do well but I will lean towards the ATX because it does a good job with both ocean wet sand and dry Beach sand and has a slight edge on depth. Were as the GQ will not fair as well with ocean Dry sand because with the ATX you have some form of discrimination. 

(VLF in fresh water) Sharing from experience with West Coast fresh water mineralization, We have extreamly high mineralization with our fresh water sand. VLF are gutless, They loose both depth and ID.

Sure they can get finds but ID will be in the iron range. We're digging quarters ID'ing as iron,  even when just a few inches below the surface.

The better VLF that do a decent job here on our fresh water sand, are All Metal detectors such as the AT Gold, GMT, MXT. Granted, ID is still dropped in the iron range but with zip zip detection we're getting a slight edge on depth. So we dig everything with these machines, even when they ID as iron. 

Haven't tried the Gold Racer but if it as an All Metal mode similar to White's or the AT-Gold then it should do a decent job, but I'm sure high conductivity will still ID in the iron range and depth will be lost... (Percentage wise?) Well that depends on mineralization, anywhere from 50-70% lost maybe more depending on location.

In closing, Pi's are our only hope of getting serious depth. Last month was a good month, did well with both gold jewelry and old silver from our local dry river beds. ....Let a friend borrow my ATX, a week later he ordered an ATX and has dug five gold rings since all within 4 weeks.

Pi's are the serious tools needed for tough jobs, others are toys.

Take care Jim, hope the year fills your pouch with nuggets!

Paul

Looks like our German friends are actually selling Mini Compadres, anybody speak German?

http://www.detector-scout.de/compadre---mini.html

I just discovered a trick. If you right click on your mouse , scroll down to where it says 'Translate with Bing' , then all the German words suddenly become English. Sure is a pricey conversion at almost 300 Euros, around $400 US?

Thanks Paul for that valuable info. TOP MAN!

I didn't know you had an ATX. Have you ever used an SDC2300 in the water?

WELL DONE TVANWHO!

LOOKS LIKE STEVES WISH CAME TRUE THEN!  (see link below). That's a real handy looking little machine.

Fisher Gold Bug 2 Pinpointer Conversion

Steve Herschbach
By Steve Herschbach in Detector Prospector Forum, 6 Jun 2015
Not too long ago I posted about converting a Tesoro Silver uMax into a pinpointer at...
  • 13 replies

steves quote:- "I did recently try and sell a couple manufacturer reps on the idea. A factory made version would be cleaner and cost no more than a standard pinpointer. I do think many people want a pinpointer with more depth and iron discrimination. Tell you favorite manufacturer to make these!"

WELL DONE STEVE!

SEE ANYTHING ELSE INTERESTING ELSE IN THAT CRYSTAL BALL OF YOURS?

Thanks again guys

jim

Guest Paul (Ca)

Hello Jim,

Never owned or used a 2300, Steve and a couple others here on the forum have but I believe for gold prospecting not for water. Maybe one from the forum  hit a stream and scored some nuggets, if memory serves me right.

Read good reviews on the 2300, a friend of mine came back from Oz and he said it did well on tiny pieces. 

HH, Paul