New Minelab Manticore

Sheppo

21 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I sold my ML 80s almost immediately because I AM an orchestral musician and a classical music trained singer and those headphones had way too much bass and the mid and high tones had most of their brilliance removed. So those phones were very bottom heavy. I tried them on other audio sources with the supplied audio cable and they were the same......biased way towards the lower bass range and no way to adjust them enough even with my equalizer.......The WM08 module with any "normal" wired headphones or just plugging in a decently balanced set of wired headphones into the control pod made for a completely different audio experience for me. So did using the aftermarket BT headphones and earbuds that I purchased.

So it isn't BS longbow62. Some of us have very different and subjective hearing abilities and preferences. When I am nugget hunting I don't want muffled sound, I want bright and very immediate sound responses for those faint signals.

The ML 100s that come with the Minelab GPX 6000 have a much more balanced audio response. I have no complaint with those.

The Garrett Z-Lynk headphones are a bit bottom heavy but doable. I have never had an issue with my Z-Lynk headphones or transmitter timing out when being used with other non-Garrett detectors.

Wow.  Couldn't have said it better.  Every word. 

I too am very musically inclined, and I do have the beginnings of some hearing loss at certain frequencies.  But I would say EXACTLY what you said, Jeff -- very bottom-heavy, and the mid and high tones had no "brilliance" at all.  Perfectly put.

And, it is GREAT news to me, that you say the ML 100s that come with the 6000 are much more balanced, and you have no complaints.  Since we clearly hear things "similarly," and since it seems reasonable to conclude that these phones will be more similar to the ML 100s, my mind is eased a bit...

Thanks Jeff!

Steve

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Joe D. said:

As always, I'll let you "early adopters" bring any shiny new machines, back to earth, with real usage! And work out the bugs!! Rare that the hype measures up to reality-based usage!! But somebody's gotta start the party!!🎉 Good luck to you early birds!!🍀👍👍

My sentiments EXACTLY!:)

I didn't want to be another Minelab early adopter after my 6000 experience, although that was over a year after release I stepped in and was still an early adopter 🙂 Either way, for the Manticore I am without a doubt going to be an early adopter, I can't resist, the Equinox is just such an awesome machine that it's successor can only be better.  I really hope it's not a lemon!

And as a wise man once said, the first generation of a product is the one with all the bugs (Equinox), the second generation should be the good one. 

• Like 3

I'm not sure I would think of the Manticore as a new model detector since it takes the basic Equinox physical system and improved the flaws of that system like the coil ears, arm rest, water leaks and lack of robust material strength.  Then it takes the good features of the Equinox and adds some useful features of the CTX then improves upon those features.

So, even though Minelab says it was built from the ground up, it is actually the next generation of the Equinox.  The Equinox was the initial iteration with a few flaws.  I would be very surprised to find a major flaw in the Manticore due to oversite.  The Manticore IS the "flaws fixed" second generation.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, PSPR said:

I'm not sure I would think of the Manticore as a new model detector since it takes the basic Equinox physical system and improved the flaws of that system like the coil ears, arm rest, water leaks and lack of robust material strength.  Then it takes the good features of the Equinox and adds some useful features of the CTX then improves upon those features.

So, even though Minelab says it was built from the ground up, it is actually the next generation of the Equinox.  The Equinox was the initial iteration with a few flaws.  I would be very surprised to find a major flaw in the Manticore due to oversite.  The Manticore IS the "flaws fixed" second generation.

Hopefully…and then some! 

• Like 1

On 11/8/2022 at 7:44 AM, strick said:

Who is next to take the challenge and make the vow    "Never To Use The Equinox Again"  🙂

strick

Good Manticore backup machine 😏

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Not sure if this info has been shared yet, but taken from a post I've read elsewhere:

"2D ID Mapping
The CTX3030 from Minelab, is a highly-regarded coin and treasure detector, maintaining its status as a high-performance metal detector for 10-years now. And one of the features that made this machine so popular is its visual XY, 2D presentation of targets. The FeCo system, or Ferrous and Conductivity to the uninitiated visually plotted the two different attributes on display, allowing the detectorists to analyse and decide on what a target could be due to the plotting position of a target. Very cool! However, Minelab have taken this system and made it even more sophisticated. The Manticore has a new 2D mapping system which has a horizontal line running through its centre. Targets which are plotted along this central line are non ferrous and the further they stray from it above or below mean they contain a higher iron content. That covers the targets position along the y axis, and this leaves the left to right, or x position which then covers conductivity, with low conductors on the left and high conductors on the right.

But here’s where it reaches the next level, the shape of the indicator on the map also related to the target. A solid, concise object, like a coin will most likely be represented as a nice, clean dot on the screen, whereas a more erratic object will be represented as a more irregular shape. For example; a silver coin would show up along the centre line, as a tight dot, and towards the right side of the screen (due to its high conductivity), whereas a small iron nail would show up far from the centre line, as an irregular shape, and further towards the left of the screen (due to its lower conductivity). That’s a hell of a lot of information about a target before you even dig it. We will say though, it’s not going to be perfect every time, obviously environmental factors and target position will play a role in determining how precise signals are displayed."

Target Separation
Here’s something we have to tell you, as it blew our mind. Ensure you’ve read the above about 2D ID mapping to fully understand this bit.

Craig Allison met Mark Lawrie, The Chief Engineer at Minelab and this demonstrated how good the Manticore is at target separation. Mark first showed us how the Manticore would communicate a hammered coin. He waived it left to right above the coil, and sure enough as described previously we saw a nice, tight dot, on the centre line of the Manticore display. What was really impressive however was when Mark added a second target into the mix. On the second demonstration Mark waived the hammered coin again, but also a large piece of lead with his other hand, both passing from left to right over the coil. We once again saw the hammered coin’s dot in the same place, but now saw a larger, messy splodge in the far-left corner of the screen. This easily illustrated that two targets were present, and that the Manticore is easily able to separate targets and reduce masking. This is a real game changer in terms of knowing when to dig, particularly in trashy sites like Roman settlements where lots of iron may be present and would therefore sometimes cause detectorists to doubt signals and decide not to dig.

• Like 3

Here's a good YouTube video:

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, rled2005 said:

Here's a good YouTube video

If you go to youtube and do a search, minelab+manticore, then open Filters (above the vids on the left side) and select, Sort By / Upload Date; it will bring up that video and all the others pertaining to the Manticore sorted by upload date.  Bookmark the page after you have entered those parameters and you can easily check if any new Manticore videos have been uploaded.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PSPR said:

If you go to youtube and do a search, minelab+manticore, then open Filters (above the vids on the left side) and select, Sort By / Upload Date; it will bring up that video and all the others pertaining to the Manticore.  Bookmark the page after you have entered those parameters and you can easily check if any new Manticore videos have been uploaded.

Good tip.

This video shows iron and a coin waved in front of the coil. The iron is discriminated, and the coin is not. Even though the iron is rejected it still shows both on the screen, which is pretty cool.

• Like 1