New Minelab Manticore

Sheppo

I haven't seen the 2d screen separation of a small nugget with a square nail, screw, or iron object. They're in close in detection range, but can the Manticore separate them on the screen? This hasn't been shown by the reps, that I have seen. 

54 minutes ago, steveg said:

phrunt -- I'm guessing that's EXACTLY what Minelab did...i.e. tease the Manticore release so that some folks "on the fence" might hold onto their 1.5K for a little while...

As for the headphones/Bluetooth LE, am I reading this correctly that the headphones aren't proprietary AFTER ALL, and that as more headphones that are Bluetooth LE-capable hit the market, we'll likely have other, compatible options if the ML-105 won't do it for us?  

In any case, it certainly looks like, from the info you posted, that we SHOULD be able to get less expensive, non-branded versions off of AliExpress, as you noted...

Steve

It's certainly looking like that's what Minelab have done announce it when it's not even near ready, while I'll be annoyed it's sure not stopping me wanting one 😉 

It does appear that the Manticore and it's headphones are Bluetooth LE and it makes absolute sense that they would do that, there is really no need for any alternatives anymore, LE does the job just fine and uses less battery power which is why it's called LE, low energy.  It also deals with interference better than older Bluetooth (less drop outs) which may be part of their marketing saying the Mantocore handles EMI better, who knows they will use anything for marketing.  

They have probably been a bit quiet on the wireless audio as up until very recently it wasn't 100% confirmed. I absolutely think they're doing the right thing with using Bluetooth LE and we will have a big range of accessory audio options throughout it's lifecycle and not be trapped into limited options like when they went with Qualcomm on their offshoot non standard atpX LL which was a big  failure, it only had 93 headphone/speaker products , think about that vs other Bluetooth devices, thousands if not tens of thousands .  They did that because they had to, there was no good options, now there is.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Carolina said:

The Deus ll is the real deal !!! ( JMHO )

Well not for everyone, or every hunting style I guess. Stock shaft with 11“ coil is wobbly as a rubber stick - in this price range, that‘s unacceptable imho. Charging port on the remote is subpar, they should have gone magnetic / clip style.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Carolina said:

If your scared, say your scared. 😃

haha nah not scared in the least, just find it to be a waste of time.  He did the same thing after poo pooing the Equinox, but then wanted to flag and check signals with his Exp2 vs my EXQ800.  No need to waste valuable hunt time flagging and checking signals when you can compare notes at the end of the hunt. 

Invokes the old saying "you can lead a horse to water..." you know the rest 😉

• Like 1

4 hours ago, steveg said:

This is really, really odd, Cal.  He's a tough nut to crack (and hard to understand...can't believe he bought a D2, after his disdain for the EQX (and now presumably, the Manticore?)

Steve

Undoubtedly a tough nut to crack.   Personally I don't really care what machine he runs, I just find the not waiting perplexing, heck he's had the Exp2 this long and loves it's full tones, so what's a few more months.  Given the D2 is XP's first foray into SMF, and Minelab's been doing it for decades, it's a bit of a no brainer to wait for Manticore field tests.  Perhaps it'll be a good thing, for me 🤠

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cal_Cobra said:

haha nah not scared in the least, just find it to be a waste of time.  He did the same thing after poo pooing the Equinox, but then wanted to flag and check signals with his Exp2 vs my EXQ800.  No need to waste valuable hunt time flagging and checking signals when you can compare notes at the end of the hunt. 

Lol. I remember when he wouldn't give up his Whites Eagle for the explorer, until Ron totally kicked his butt in a bay area park. Hey man, he's KILLER with that explorer 2 now, if it works, it works. Something to be said about knowing a detector like the back of your hand.

One guy( who Tom knows from decades ago) that I hunt with, still uses a Whites 6000, and KILLS it.

• Like 4

Be mindful of the man that owns just one rifle.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, rled2005 said:

I haven't seen the 2d screen separation of a small nugget with a square nail, screw, or iron object. They're in close in detection range, but can the Manticore separate them on the screen? This hasn't been shown by the reps, that I have seen. 

rled2005, I don't know which video it was but on one of them where they turned a potential buyer loose with a Manticore in a field in Europe does show just that.  There was a target on the conductive line and another target on the same screen making a blob up in the iron range.  It wasn't gold but the idea was the same.  How well it does that with gold we are yet to find out.

6 hours ago, Cal_Cobra said:

I really have no problem checking targets with fellow detectorists using different machines.  We used to do that all the time on iffy targets just to get a different opinion of whether we should dig it or not.  Of course, the two of you need to be in close proximity or you really are wasting time.

• Like 1