Why Does Deep Hc Cause So Much Battery Drain?

CPT_GhostLight

Well I have to amend my thought that the Deep HC program was excessively draining my coil battery. Turns out it was not that at all, because the same thing happened today.

What really happened, as near as I can tell, is this. After switching back and forth between Fast and Deep HC to check a deep target, I set the detector down to pinpoint with the MI-6 and dig a target. When I recovered the target, I turned off the MI-6 and noticed no response from the coil again. I looked at the remote screen and could see the coil was unpaired and was trying to pair again but displayed no serieal number so it would not pair.

When this happened the first time I thought that my coil battery was drained and that's why it could not re-pair, so I quit detecting and went home. When I got home after that, I turned the remote back on to check if there was a problem with the remote, but it came on normally and the coil was paired like normal and it still showed plenty of battery life like it normally does after one of my hunts.

So when it did the same thing today after switching between Fast and Deep HC and using the MI-6, I powered down the detector and restarted and everything was normal and I had plenty of coil charge to finish the day detecting.

I will have to do some more testing, but I now think that maybe it's a glitch in the software (V .071) relating to switching between Deep HC and the MI-6 Pinpointer that causes the coil to unpair. It hasn't happened with any of the other program, just Deep HC. Has anyone else experienced this?

• Like 1
  • Oh my! 1

On 11/1/2022 at 6:22 PM, Jeff McClendon said:

I am under the impression that the processor for all functions/battery management, etc is in the coil, not the remote. So, what Gary is saying……you might want to listen to and try.

Yes I confirm , the most important part of the detection processing is done inside the coil for the Deus1 or 2 . This is why the Deus coil are more expensive than the competitors wired detectors , because there is a sophisticated and powerful processor embedded in each XP wireless coil ..   

Long story short when you buy a Deus coil , you almost buy a detector ...  This explains why when you use headphones ( WS4 or WS6 for example ) you get exactly the same performances as with the RC ..

On 11/1/2022 at 10:42 PM, SwiftSword said:

On a side note, I recently started favoring the Sensitive FT program. At least in my soil/find conditions, I don't appear to be losing any depth over Deep HC, and it seems to discriminate better than Deep HC (at least I feel I dig less trash). I can go out for a max of ~2hrs at a time, so battery life isn't that critical to me. 

That's purely anecdotal and non-scientific, of course. 

My preferred program is SENSITIVE . I have tested Deep HC , it goes deeper than SENSITIVE but it is not the best in trashy areas where it is too slow and lacks of accuracy for me . I would only use it for deep big coin coins hunting in clean areas ... 

I tried SENSITIVE FT a few months ago but I found it too noisy for me , I will retry it during my next outing ...

Anyway I consider the D2 like a toolbox where one can pick up the tools ( modes , settings ) that works the best .   For example I use the SQUARE  audio , while others will prefer the historical PWM .  I like having all these choices on the D2 ... 

3 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Has anyone else experienced this?

Deep HC was one of the first programs I tried, didn't like the drain so I haven't revisited it much. Odd that it could cause connection failure switching to and from it but the D2 seems to have a few quirks that you have to live with and hope they fix someday. 🙄 Doesn't make it any less enjoyable for me, when it goes "Flooey" I just reboot it or re-pair. Restarting should always be first. It's no different to me than immediate action on a firearm. 😁

Sometimes I'll get no audio, or my MI-6 will only connect 1 out of 4 tries. Haven't had a coil drop out yet.

High-falutin' machines are temperamental at best I guess, I'm sure it follows that if a machine has a lot of complexity and versatility, it will have more issues. 🤣

• Like 2

On 11/1/2022 at 1:22 PM, Jeff McClendon said:

I am under the impression that the processor for all functions/battery management, etc is in the coil, not the remote. So, what Gary is saying……you might want to listen to and try.

To be clear, the manual is pretty clear that the zero volume adjustment for unused audio outputs that Gary recommended only affects battery performance of the remote not the coil.  Good advice regardless (I make it a point to zero out my unused audio outputs).  I believe that's why Gary mentioned that his comment was "slightly off topic".

• Like 3

7 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Well I have to amend my thought that the Deep HC program was excessively draining my coil battery. Turns out it was not that at all, because the same thing happened today.

What really happened, as near as I can tell, is this. After switching back and forth between Fast and Deep HC to check a deep target, I set the detector down to pinpoint with the MI-6 and dig a target. When I recovered the target, I turned off the MI-6 and noticed no response from the coil again. I looked at the remote screen and could see the coil was unpaired and was trying to pair again but displayed no serieal number so it would not pair.

When this happened the first time I thought that my coil battery was drained and that's why it could not re-pair, so I quit detecting and went home. When I got home after that, I turned the remote back on to check if there was a problem with the remote, but it came on normally and the coil was paired like normal and it still showed plenty of battery life like it normally does after one of my hunts.

So when it did the same thing today after switching between Fast and Deep HC and using the MI-6, I powered down the detector and restarted and everything was normal and I had plenty of coil charge to finish the day detecting.

I will have to do some more testing, but I now think that maybe it's a glitch in the software (V .071) relating to switching between Deep HC and the MI-6 Pinpointer that causes the coil to unpair. It hasn't happened with any of the other program, just Deep HC. Has anyone else experienced this?

I have had three episodes where I looked at my coil battery info on the display when I started hunts and battery level was full.  3 to 4 hours later my coil either had critically low battery levels and/or had unpaired itself. I was not using Deep HC and the other Deus 2 components were not showing low battery levels.  ????

• Oh my! 1

I'm just going to chalk it up to one of the quirks of an unfinished soft/firmware. It's not a big problem by any means right now and I'll try to figure out a work around. I believe there's another update being tested, so I'll just continue to enjoy my D2, which is still pretty great, and look forward to more features and fixes as the updates keep coming, and keep hoping for a nice 10x5" coil to complete the coil array. (Hint, hint, XP!) 😎

• Like 4

11 hours ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Never had such an issue with mine btw. But I use a simple WS6 MASTER config with no RC and no MI6.  And I dont switch back and forth between programs ... They probably have a few bugs to solve with the D2 as they had with the D1 when it was released...

• Like 1

On 11/6/2022 at 2:36 AM, CPT_GhostLight said:

that is why I stopped using the MI6 and went back to the carrot. 

Well it hasn't happen since that 2nd time it unpaired the coil, although I still haven't had a chance to run some tests with Deep HC specifically. But I'm not giving up the MI-6 for a single quirk even if it pesists. It is too good of a pinpointer not to use and I really like running it paired with the remote so I can hear it through the headphones. Plus it's every bit as deep as my Fisher F-Pulse pinpointer so the MI-6 is my goto pinpointer. 

• Like 1