Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

My Nugget Detecting Kit

Hey Steve what do you think of your InReach?

The ability to text both ways seems like a neat feature if it actually works.

Have you had a chance to try it out?

• Like 1

I also have InReach with same plan (Safety Plan) as Steve mentions in his update.  Two way texting works good.  Seems to be a pretty reliable device.  The fact that you can get a return text gives you confidence that somebody actually got your message.  Good when in an area with no cell phone coverage.  "Don't leave home without it".  

Our setups are very close - great piece for anyone though, many just need the validation on their choices.

I'd highly recommend good gel type knee pads, at least my knees require whatever protection I can give them this late in my abusive life.

Steve, as always - great stuff! You're the best.

• Like 1

I too carry a similar setup but i also strongly believe on a fixed blade knife (Like a KBAR) and a small soldier water filter and fire starter. You desert boys may not have a need for the filter but here in the mountains its a must for emergencies - i use mine constantly as i don't have to pack as much water. 

Also when i hunt in or along a stream i carry a sniping scope and a long thin screw driver.

I typically hike 3 - 5 mls from my rig and (aside from this lack luster summer) stay out for extended periods. I carry a solid first aid kit with added fire starter and quick draw water straw everywhere i go - friends always chuckle about it.

Good luck 

AjR

• Like 3

Good post Featheredfishhead, there is a lot of water here in the north state areas, but filtering is a good idea. These compact filtering systems really do work well and reduce pack weight and space used.

I was over your way archery hunting for deer a couple weeks ago. Headed to the Shasta River area next week for the start of rifle season. Most of the items mentioned in this thread also go in my deer hunting pack. Good thread.

Mike

• Like 1

If you hike out a ways then a battery booster is a good thing to pack with you, or like I do keep a small 2 hour recharger on my keychain. They work for phones, gps, etc.

I don't really have any brand recommendations since mine was a $10 keychain thing I got at a gas station and it just does the job, but I've been thinking about getting one of the larger capacity boosters to just keep in the pack all the time. It's come in handy quite a bit, sometimes you just need another hour of juice on the gps or some time with the phone flashlight to get the last mile back, etc.

• Like 1

Hi Jason,

I have a higher capacity battery booster for a phone,

something like three recharges worth

and it really helps knowing it's there.

I have only had to go to it once or twice, but if needed, it's a good item.

Also a blood-clotting powder packet is a great thing to have close by.

Ya never know.

• Like 1