Got A GMX For Jewelry, Brief Review

I like the GMX/24k.

I got the White's GMX which is a waterproof 24k for lake hunting for jewelry.

I've only tested it outside so far using the 6" concentric coil which is 6.5".

This detector is completely silent even with sensitivity max. No chatter at all.

The iron disc is completely adjustable 1 point at time. At 19 it disc's out a nail one way and gets a hit the other way. I wanted the disc set as low as I could.

The vco mode is the deepest and most sensitive mode. Even with disc at 19 I can get a hit on the white gold earring laying on the ground. It does have to be close, approx. 1/4" or less to the coil, but it hits it both ways.

I buried a 0.89 gram 10k gold ring at 9" and it got a nice hit all around.

Also hits my 10" test dime. I sold the 4x6 coil. The 6.5 concentric was all I wanted. Might get the 6x10 sometime.

It is in the XP Sport housing. Even though it weights 4 lbs it feels ok with the small coil. I wish White's had spent some time designing it light weight but it is still comfortable enough to use. I like the display. I like the balance of GMX better than the Gold Kruzer. I hip mount the Gold Kruzer in the water because the balance of it hurts my forearm in a short time. Could probably get used to it though.

I like the display on the GMX. At the top there is a bar that shows where the target is from iron thru silver range which is convenient. It is going to be a great lake hunter.

Now it's making me think about getting another MX Sport.

White's has nice products.

whites-goldmaster-gmx-sport-gold-detector.jpg

Thanks for selling me that 4x6 coil Rick. Lowers your cost and gets me a coil I was after without having to bother my crew in Alaska. Thanks! :smile:

I am not surprised you like the GMX... I do like my 24K a lot also. That 6" concentric really is a sweetie, definitely my preferred coil for the machine.

It is very hard to make a properly balanced metal detector that weighs less than 3.5 lbs. The secret is the leveraged weight of the coil out front has to be counterbalanced by an even heavier weight under the elbow. Overall it does make the machine heavier but counter-intuitively they feel lighter and create less arm strain. It's not holding up the weight that wears you out, it is the twisting motion you are fighting with an out of balance detector that generates the most strain. I have no complaint at all about the MX Sport/GMX design except I wish it had wireless for above water headphone use.

White's GMX Sport Data & Reviews

whites-gmx-sport-control-quick-guide.jpg

Steve,

Thanks for adding the the photo. And thanks for taking the 4x6 coil. Hope it's good for you. Did help make the price better for the GMX. 

Now I'm selling my xp orx :).

Well dang Rick you went and did it.  Now stay up in your territory with that thing.  JK

I'd bet with the GMX Sport you could clean up on the small necklaces and bracelets I'm sure are lying around at the "sand bar" that elude the rest of us.

See ya later

Tom