Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

Garrett Engineer Brent Weaver Discusses Ace Apex Technology

....In my opinion, Garrett would not add 6 search programs to Apex with the same * Recovery Speed ..... ,, I believe more that the programs are more optimized for a specific type of search ..

I take a 6x 11 "coil more than a standard search coil...,
.. with a greatly increased degree of separation .... but of course for a very demanding separation we will need a shorter coil of a slightly smaller size ...

8-9 "coil I consider ideal as a standard coil for a powerful multifrequency detector ... in terms of depth, sensitivity and separation....

The fact that Garrett gave the 6x11 "coil as a standard raises a few questions ... because to reach a depth as the competition  other detectors whit  larger standart   coils, the Apex detector itself must be powerful enough ...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

SmartSelect_20200517-133844_Drive.jpg

Maybe the APEX offers more Iron Audio adjustment in its price range, but does it?  The Fisher F44, a lower-priced model, goes from 'OFF' at a Volume setting of '10' to then increase 10 steps from 11, 12, 13, 14, - - - - to 20.

I think that overall we generally agree on many points of interest about the Garrett APEX. and that it is not a new king-of-the-hill or up-line model to challenge or replace the AT series.  I'm sure they are working on that right now.  It is just an 'Ace' series and all we can do, until we get one I-hand to evaluate, is hope they have refined and improved some of the things the Ace didn't do well, while adding something useful to it.  Don't get me wrong, I was surprised and impressed that they went the route of a Selectable Frequency option as well as Multi-Frequency.  Until you and I or anyone else uses it, who rally knows how well it will perform?  I know it will go up against my Vanquish 540 Pro Pack with it's 5-Tones and Multi-IQ multi-frequency.

With regard to your Simplex + performance in the All Metal and other modes, I have so far been 'OK' with the All Metal mode performance, but not to the level of boasting or bragging about it.  I've only had limited opportunity to hunt our one-and-old city park out in the open center grassy area.  It works, but ...

My favorite modes are Park 1 and Beach with Field mode coming in a close #3.  I am holding out hope that maybe, just maybe Garrett engineers designed in some recovery speed difference in some of the modes like they have on the Simplex +.  Again, we won't know until we handle it.  Oh, and your backlight comments I mainly agree with.  I like to turn it on or turn it off.   And if 'on it needs to be bright enough to be functional and not blinding.  The Vanquish 540 has an On or Off backlight, but it's a red backlight and it isn't very bright.  I only used it in early evening and I wished it was white, and also wished it was brighter.  as for the Simplex +, I pointed out the differences not for you as much as for readers unfamiliar with what it offers.  I have mine on A2 or A3 right now, to come On when I locate a target and be bright enough and not distracting.

Of course, one of he best ways for you and I to put our backgrounds, knowledge and talents to work to provide the best into here on Steve's Forums, is for the good folks at Garrett to send an APEX to each of us.:smile:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Monte said:

Maybe the APEX offers more Iron Audio adjustment in its price range, but does it?  The Fisher F44, a lower-priced model, goes from 'OFF' at a Volume setting of '10' to then increase 10 steps from 11, 12, 13, 14, - - - - to 20.

I think that overall we generally agree on many points of interest about the Garrett APEX. and that it is not a new king-of-the-hill or up-line model to challenge or replace the AT series.  I'm sure they are working on that right now.  It is just an 'Ace' series and all we can do, until we get one I-hand to evaluate, is hope they have refined and improved some of the things the Ace didn't do well, while adding something useful to it.  Don't get me wrong, I was surprised and impressed that they went the route of a Selectable Frequency option as well as Multi-Frequency.  Until you and I or anyone else uses it, who rally knows how well it will perform?  I know it will go up against my Vanquish 540 Pro Pack with it's 5-Tones and Multi-IQ multi-frequency.

With regard to your Simplex + performance in the All Metal and other modes, I have so far been 'OK' with the All Metal mode performance, but not to the level of boasting or bragging about it.  I've only had limited opportunity to hunt our one-and-old city park out in the open center grassy area.  It works, but ...

My favorite modes are Park 1 and Beach with Field mode coming in a close #3.  I am holding out hope that maybe, just maybe Garrett engineers designed in some recovery speed difference in some of the modes like they have on the Simplex +.  Again, we won't know until we handle it.  Oh, and your backlight comments I mainly agree with.  I like to turn it on or turn it off.   And if 'on it needs to be bright enough to be functional and not blinding.  The Vanquish 540 has an On or Off backlight, but it's a red backlight and it isn't very bright.  I only used it in early evening and I wished it was white, and also wished it was brighter.  as for the Simplex +, I pointed out the differences not for you as much as for readers unfamiliar with what it offers.  I have mine on A2 or A3 right now, to come On when I locate a target and be bright enough and not distracting.

Of course, one of he best ways for you and I to put our backgrounds, knowledge and talents to work to provide the best into here on Steve's Forums, is for the good folks at Garrett to send an APEX to each of us.:smile:

What is that Monte, your "But this one goes to 11" argument on iron volume. :laugh:

Yes, I think recovery speed could be an achilles heal for Apex.  I see no clues they are even considering a limited mode-based recovery speed variation like in Simplex and Vanquish.

I really like the Simplex relic mode with Park 1 and Beach not far behind.  Funny, it seemed beach was more responsive in my test garden before the 1.77 update.  Could be imagining this, but really thought that to be the case.  I will have to look at the before and after video tape.

I do like the novelty of the auto backlight mode on Simplex.  I could see that being useful for water work.

Hey, I'm all in on a complimentary Apex review model.  Can't argue with that.  :smile:

• Like 1

On 5/17/2020 at 1:39 PM, Monte said:

It is just an 'Ace' series and all we can do, until we get one I-hand to evaluate, is hope they have refined and improved some of the things the Ace didn't do well, while adding something useful to it. 

Honestly Monte, there is nothing “Ace” about this detector but the name. It’s a completely new detector.

garrett-ace-apex-color-flyer.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Honestly Monte, there is nothing “Ace” about this detector but the name. It’s a completely new detector.

Other than having "ACE" on the faceplate, I agree, the entire shaft system, armrest and hand grip look to be the same quality as the AT series and that has to be one of the nicest control housings I have ever seen. Just make it have faster recovery speed than any detector you have ever made, please Garrett.

Jeff

• Like 2

Apex stock coil is smaller than usual 8 1/2x11 stock coil. Size they chose is similar to the Kruzer series which I find really good balance between depth and easy to negotiate around obstructions. By the looks of it they really cherry picked the features on this one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Other than having "ACE" on the faceplate, I agree, the entire shaft system, armrest and hand grip look to be the same quality as the AT series and that has to be one of the nicest control housings I have ever seen. Just make it have faster recovery speed than any detector you have ever made, please Garrett.

Jeff

The grip and rod looks lifted directly from the AT Max. But the real thing is the electronics - all new. There is no "Ace" inside the housing. Assuming this will not outperform the AT series when run equal coil to coil is a pretty poor bet in my opinion. That may seem crazy but not if Garrett is revamping and retiring the entire old line over the next year, as very well may be the case. That's what I'd be doing if I were running the show, and if it proves to be true then my respect for Vaughan will increase immeasurably. Up to now I just assumed he would do what most kids do when they inherit Dad's business - run it into the ground, like Tesoro.

garrett-ace-apex-vs-at-max.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Yes, I think recovery speed could be an achilles heal for Apex.

Ok, Apex 'heal' thyself haha

In the meantime I think the phrase is 'achilles heel'

• Haha 2