Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

What Gives A 1 Target ID Number?

TripleT

Wire can also give low ID values. Target corner frequency for long thin things like wire, is almost entirely determined by the diameter. Making the sample longer just increases the target response strength ( in proportion to the length ), the corner-freq and ID remain unchanged. So one realistic target that could be ID=1 but detectable at depth is a reel of wire. For example stainless steel wire for fencing. Provided there's no contact, creating a closed loop.

If you're using a scoop (or even if you're not) maybe the tiny target keeps falling into the hole. I would also try to use Beach 2 just in case it some black sand ( like magnetite) is causing a false signal.

• Like 1

I've dug many iron backed military buttons that come up as a 1 or 2. Cuff sized Navy and Eagle A buttons would also fall through the scoop depending on mesh size, I know they are small enough to go through mine.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I would not be surprised to see a fine gold chain ring up as a 1 .  Recently i found a 40 cm coarse gold chain at the 4 to 5 inch mark on a saltwater beach . It was nearly straight in the sand , not bunched up , no clasp etc . Gave a fairly consistent 2  . 

P1000784.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1