Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

Here's a really good belt for attaching gear, most metal detecting stuff comes with MOLLE straps or snap straps. It's $25, and has a Cobra style buckle:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08FFC82V3

15 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

Here's a really good belt for attaching gear,...

What are the advantages of that style over the more conventional/traditional/historical GI belt?  As can be seen in my photo, I use the grommeted holes of the latter for attaching some items. 

Like most of my gear, for lower priced products I've bought identical or nearly identical backups to protect against situations such as companies going out-of-business or discontinuing products, not that this ever happens in metal detecting....  ?  But variety/optionality is good, too.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

What are the advantages of that style over the more conventional/traditional/historical GI belt?  As can be seen in my photo, I use the grommeted holes of the latter for attaching some items. 

Like most of my gear, for lower priced products I've bought identical or nearly identical backups to protect against situations such as companies going out-of-business or discontinuing products, not that this ever happens in metal detecting....  ?  But variety/optionality is good, too.

I loved those belts, used the web gear too. They use MOLLE now, possibly something even newer.

The belt has a well padded Velcro - attached insert that makes it extremely comfortable and also serves to hold your tools in place if they just go around it rather than a MOLLE attachment in the loops. The price is what got me, they claim to be a Veteran owned company FWIW. $25 is cheap for a belt of that quality, most if not all of the reviews are glowing.

3 colors ! ? Sizing is important, I have 2 of them. One for when I'm wearing heavy clothes. Get the size closest to your belt, not the next one up. Each has 4" of leeway.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

They use MOLLE now, possibly something even newer.

Had to Google that to figure out what you are referring to.  Here's a short YouTube video which shows the principle:

• Thanks 1

GB: MOLLE is pretty handy, but just keep in mind that it carries certain connotations. Depending on where you hunt, it could draw additional unwanted attention.

My detection gear :

- A leather belt with the Profind 35 pinpointer and a pouch for trash and targets.

- A rucksack ( Lafuma Lancruiser 65 ) which contains a lot of things :

. the detector - here an Apex +  the spade ( Fiskars Xact )  2 parts in the central pocket
  . a water bottle in the left side pocket
  . my wallet , the car key  , a Garmin Oregon 600 and mosquito spray in the right side pocket
  . the MS-3 detector headphones in the top pocket  
  . etc ...?

DSC02722.JPG

DSC02726.thumb.JPG.12c87bb1c26d8cfd6e20352bbd0b034b.JPG

DSC02724.JPG

DSC02725.JPG

• Like 7

1 hour ago, palzynski said:

My detection gear :

- A leather belt with the Profind 35 pinpointer and a pouch for trash and targets.

- A rucksack ( Lafuma Lancruiser 65 ) which contains a lot of things :

. the detector - here a Garrett Apex with the MS3 headphones
  . a big spade ( Fiskars Xact  ) which can be taken apart into 2 parts.
  . a water bottle in the left lateral rucksack pouch
  . my wallet , the car key  and a mosquito spray in the right lateral rucksack pouch
  . a GPS ( Garmin Oregon 600 )
  . etc ...?

DSC02722.JPG

DSC02721.JPG

DSC02724.JPG

DSC02725.JPG

Thanks for posting!

Really like that shovel. Looks like that pack can hold a fair amount of stuff. I take it you travel off the beaten path so to speak.

• Like 1

Speaking of shovels, I am intrigued by the idea of carrying a titanium shovel. The ones I find all seem to come from the USSR, the masters of the planets' titanium. A couple are available on eBay:s-l400.jpg.78bb03152b5c6e5261d94dcbdb8e1363.jpg

This one is $20 with $20 shipping. Guess we'd have to talk @steveg into a carbon fiber shaft ?

This one is $45 with $25 shipping:

2133470199_s-l400(1).jpg.0ce78eb549e8bb60edc25d67ef775194.jpg

I know how tough this stuff is, but would it hold up to what we put our steel through?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mh9162013 said:

GB: MOLLE is pretty handy, but just keep in mind that it carries certain connotations. Depending on where you hunt, it could draw additional unwanted attention.

I sort of agree, but doesn't metal detecting in any public place draw unwanted attention? ? It sure has for me. Yeah you don't want to look like Johnny Tactical, but some things can be a real asset. These belts are comfortable, hold a ton of gear, and keep it from shifting around. 2,500 reviewers can't be wrong. ?

When I feel I am good enough at it (I'll admit I'm kinda snarky) maybe a post on how to effectively (and briefly) deal with the public might be a good one. It would be a great gathering of ideas and probably be amusing.

• Like 1