Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

Legend - First Impressions

Central Va. is all about the Geology. My crushed basalt driveway goes right to 60 when you place the stock coil on it. Another slab, (Not basalt) reads in the low 20s but when you GB it GB at 81. When I GB the crushed driveway it reads 3. Nice. Enter the wet beach program. Seems to handle the bedrocks allot better after the initial ground balance which was zero. Oh my. My next trip I will use the stock coil and use Wet Beach. Did those tube people every here of turning down the sensitivity?

• Like 4

I'm tired.  Time to go away until I learn more. Take care.

10 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

The results in the dirt at this site show that the Legend exhibits minimal up averaging down to 7” in its multi frequency modes.

Excellent study, Jeff.  3-->4 bars on the F19 is more mineralized than my typical ground and I see VDI degradation on all single frequency detectors before getting down to 7" depth.  The Fisher F75 won't do it.  Minelab Equinox in 4 kHz single frequency mode (only SF I've tested in my garden) won't either.  So far the Legend is living up to its pre-release claims, IMO.

Sounds like your mom has the right attitude.  Heck, you could take her detecting.  I think I'd wear out before she would.

10 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Excellent study, Jeff.  3-->4 bars on the F19 is more mineralized than my typical ground and I see VDI degradation on all single frequency detectors before getting down to 7" depth.  The Fisher F75 won't do it.  Minelab Equinox in 4 kHz single frequency mode (only SF I've tested in my garden) won't either.  So far the Legend is living up to its pre-release claims, IMO.

Sounds like your mom has the right attitude.  Heck, you could take her detecting.  I think I'd wear out before she would.

Thanks Chuck,

I am trying to just report what I find in the limited hunting conditions and targets in the area I am in. I am headed back to Colorado this weekend and then on to Montana to meet my first grandson. I will take the Legend with me for sure. So far it has proven to be as advertised for coins and jewelry by my testing and hunts which means it is a direct and viable competitor of the Equinox in moderate mineralization.

My mother is pretty fearless but at the same time she rarely gets too upset by any challenge. However, rolling a wheelchair on wet, uneven ground is already something that she has declined to do. Maybe in a few weeks she will be able to get outside more.

• Like 3

Bless your mother and you for being there for her. My mother will be a hundred come November. Theses girls came up in hard times and takes a lot to put one of them down for long  

The best to you.

Chuck 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• The title was changed to Legend - First Impressions

Glad your Mum is managing.  I like your test kit--this is the way to learn a machine and see what it does. 

cjc

• Like 1

I am also similarly impressed so far with my Legend. After logging 8 hrs. testing & playing with settings in my test garden I finally had a chance to take it on a real hunt. It did very well on my hard hunted race track site. This is low mineral sandy ground with lots of nails & bad EMI. The last few hunts here have only produced 4-6 small low conductor targets for 2-3 hour efforts and no real keepers. The Legend ran stable & quiet @ 22-25 Sens, TH @ 8 in Field M2  4 tone, first TB @ 7, Recovery speed mostly 4. The audio has a lot of intelligence and the TID is very confident & accurate. I had very few targets that were iffy or surprised me. Big Iron is easy to tell. Co located targets also. I only dug 2 deep small nails & 2 small pieces of very rusty tin can that fooled me. The preset Iron Bias did a good job. More time on the machine will help. I ended up after 4 hours with 18 Non Ferrous targets, including several keepers, most co located with 3D iron. Some of them were very small, like one brass boot eyelet @ 2".  The 11" stock coil is very sensitive but still works efficiently/effectively thru the nails very well. I did notice it is a little knock sensitive above 20 sensitivity.  I did not hunt with the 6" yet but in the test garden it will hit 8" targets just fine. I am still running V1.04. I'm still testing on high minerals but it seems to do quite well.

• Like 2