Legend - First Impressions

I also have pretty much convinced myself that Multi is the only way to go with the Legend. The audio response is much stronger than the single frequencies. It seems to me that 4 kHz on this detector is not very sensitive to small targets or small coins at depth. 4 kHz is very iffy on my 10" Dime & 12" Quarter. 10 & 15 are much better. However, M1, M2, MD & MW are noticeable better. Goldfield Multi not so much. It is the same with deep mid conductors but then M2, M1 & Goldfield Multi are best and MD & MW less so. This detector's iron handling & target separation is excellent. The only thing I am a little disappointed with is if the target is small And thin, the detector tends to lose it if it gets turned on edge. My other detectors will do this too. I was hoping the SMF would help minimize that effect.

• Like 1

I haven’t decided anything definite about which frequency/SMF is better on the Legend. I will use Multi whenever I have the chance so far, but I will do more testing for sure.

I am not saying for one second that 4kHz or any other single frequency or mode is better or worse and that one in particular isn’t very good.

I just wanted to see what the difference would be between 4kHz and M1 in high iron mineralization.

It's really great to have such a versatile detector for whatever situation you may encounter.

11 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

I hunted a (1923) Denver Public School site....

I didn't see you mention or speculate on the history of detecting at this site.  Knowing your area a bit I'm confident that site has been hunted before, maybe quite a bit.  Have you yourself detected there?  And are you aware of anyone detecting it with a MultiFrequency detector?

It appears in mineralized ground that the Legend is going to wake up some dormant sites.  Reliable, objective, hyperbole free reports such as yours attract my attention on these two new kids on the block.

3 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

I didn't see you mention or speculate on the history of detecting at this site.  Knowing your area a bit I'm confident that site has been hunted before, maybe quite a bit.  Have you yourself detected there?  And are you aware of anyone detecting it with a MultiFrequency detector?

It appears in mineralized ground that the Legend is going to wake up some dormant sites.  Reliable, objective, hyperbole free reports such as yours attract my attention on these two new kids on the block.

I personally have never detected this site before until recently. I do not know its detecting history. Much of the original site has been paved over. Only the front of the building still has its basically original lawn. Judging from the older finds I have made so far, the current older coin "level" in undisturbed areas of the lawn is at 8"+ deep.

• Like 1