Buttons, A Little Silver, And A Cannon?

2 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Even the silver flatware piece was 16-18,...

That's surprising as it looks to be larger than a dime.  Is it super thin?  You hit the jackpot with relics for that hunt.

Digging through 5"-6" of clay is a sign of backfilling, IMO.  I hate digging through clay.  It's a pain when wet and even worse when dry -- like concrete.  To make matters worse, I usually end up with a rusty nail as my reward.  :sad:  Anymore, because of the likely backfilling, when I get thick clay I just look for a better detecting spot.  There might be goodies underneath (as you've obviously just shown) but most of the time it seems the thickness of the clay layer leaves the good finds too deep.  Meanwhile the refilled hole is a mess when I'm done -- not a good image for a public park/school.

18 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

That's surprising as it looks to be larger than a dime.  Is it super thin?  You hit the jackpot with relics for that hunt.

Digging through 5"-6" of clay is a sign of backfilling, IMO.  I hate digging through clay.  It's a pain when wet and even worse when dry -- like concrete.  To make matters worse, I usually end up with a rusty nail as my reward.  :sad:  Anymore, because of the likely backfilling, when I get thick clay I just look for a better detecting spot.  There might be goodies underneath (as you've obviously just shown) but most of the time it seems the thickness of the clay layer leaves the good finds too deep.  Meanwhile the refilled hole is a mess when I'm done -- not a good image for a public park/school.

It's very thin, about the thickness of a half Reale. Rings like a bell when dropped on table so I'm pretty sure it isn't plate. I've been looking for the Hallmark but haven't found it as yet.

I should have photographed the hole, this is a small farm plot (about 4 acres), and the clay is where the field drains down to the woods. Presumably the topsoil is washed away in that spot, the rest of the field is loam and sand extremely easy to dig. I got TIDs in the 20s for the medium flat button and the convex one, so there was no way I wouldn't dig 'em. The field is pretty trash free, I only dug iron when it had a lot of high tones or I was using F2=0. When scouting I use F2=3 as I dig lots of false targets with a low setting, so I only stop when it's a good one.

This is the Equinox 600. I was using park 1, 5 tones, sensitivity 24, recovery speed 2.20220322_114343.thumb.jpg.6be664f7a00fc71636a4031a95c14cdc.jpg Nothing was dug at more than 8", that's where the clay generally is under the loam. Of course I had the fabulous 10x5 attached. 😁

50 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

It's very thin, about the thickness of a half Reale. Rings like a bell when dropped on table so I'm pretty sure it isn't plate. I've been looking for the Hallmark but haven't found it as yet.

Wow, that is thin -- 0.022 inches for those of us still digging our heels in regarding units.  😁  I don't think the VDI typically doesn't separate silver alloys from copper alloys anyway, but the fact that it even has a hallmark points towards sterling, as does its appearance.  I.e. from being in the ground a long time it's not showing any loss of plating nor copper bleed-through.  But the thickness makes me wonder how it could be an eating utensil.  I'm stumped.  More research required.

Thanks for reminding us that this is the Eqx 600 model.  F2=3 had me thinking a low Iron Bias value, but that's equivalent to F2=6 in the 800.  I'm still annoyed that Minelab didn't make the Recovery Speed and Iron Bias values identical (fine, leave out the odd values for the 600 so they can still entice buyers to pay more money....)