Day 3 At The Beach - Deus 2

It seems they are more rare on the east coast. We find them once in a while over here. I guess they were minted on the west coast?

strick 

34 minutes ago, strick said:

It seems they are more rare on the east coast. We find them once in a while over here. I guess they were minted on the west coast?

strick 

The mint mark is stamped on the edge, if you find a San Francisco mint dollar, they only made 1.5 million of them. They were minted in Philadelphia, Denver, and San Francisco. 👍

22 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

I searched the forum for "Truman", nobody ever found one and posted it?

Coins meant only for collectors shouldn't show up at all as they *should* still be in collections.  During 2007-2011 the USA mint made lots of brass $1 coins for circulation (and some for collectors).  Those, plus earlier varieties (Sacagawea) are found by detectorists -- I think I've found four myself.  Just like the state quarters, the Presidential dollars were dribbled out over time, chronologically by president.  But they weren't finished by 2011 when the gov'ment finally admitted the public didn't want to use them, so the later (deceased -- a requirement) presidents such as Harry Truman were only released to fulfill collectors' orders.  There was a gap after Reagan's issue until George H.W. Bush died.  Thus in 2020 they released one with his image, but still only enough for anticipated collector demand.

Bottom line:  no surprise that detectorists haven't reported finding the Truman issue.

1 minute ago, GB_Amateur said:

Bottom line:  no surprise that detectorists haven't reported finding the Truman issue.

Thanks GB. I think I speak for everyone when I write that you are the consummate numismatist here 😀 👍 I don't have any of the coin books, so your input is greatly valued. 🏆 I'm also out of likes. 

On 4/19/2022 at 12:16 PM, F350Platinum said:

I don't have any of the coin books....

The Red Book is issued every year (now on it's 76th edition) and you can find them at used book shops, used online, etc.  Early ones are collectors items.  Coin prices/values change over time, but except for recent dates, etc., most of the remaining info (e.g. mintages) doesn't change much.  I recently bought the 2022 version (they just released the 2023 -- linked above), kept at my bedside.   I still use my previous copy -- 54th edition, 2001 -- when I post here as it sits next to my main computer.  I also have seven of the Whitman detailed books on specific issues (e.g. Lincoln Cents) and refer to those as needed, but for mintage figures and ballpark values the Red Book is a quick reference and all that's needed.  It also has a lot of history info, especially regarding the early days of the mint and prior (Colonial times).