New Minelab Manticore

Sheppo

18 minutes ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

I'm going to throw my own speculating into the mix and guess that the Manticore is positioned to replace the aged-out E-Trac and that there will also soon be another higher end machine to replace the soon to be aged-out CTX.

I don't see how that is speculation. E-Trac was discontinued. Manticore at same price replaces it. CTX continues to be flagship machine.... for now. Don't place many bets on it being any time soon however. Minelab flip flops between prospecting, and the rest. So what's up next? A Multi prospecting detector to replace the Gold Monster? Or the fabled GPZ 8000? More likely that instead of CTX replacement, but there is nothing that says they can't do the CTX thing next. It honestly just boils down to looking at internal sales figures, and replacing the weakest performer. They sell them until sales run out of steam, then replace with something else. As long as sales remain strong, it is foolish to replace a good seller, when something else is not selling as well. It's all about making money folks. Maybe Manticore finally undermines CTX sales enough that it ends up next on the chopping block.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Competition drives new models from manufacturers for sure.  You can almost guarantee one of the first new Minelabs will be on its way to Turkey to be taken apart to be reverse engineered. It didn't take them too long to make a competitor model to the Nox, and might not take long to do a competitor model to the Beast.  You can guarantee Minelab knows this and probably isn't letting the R&D and Engineer dept take too long of a breather after releasing the Beast.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Geotech said:

Generally whatever you can do in time-domain system you can do in a frequency-domain system, just differently. You could determine target ferrousity in MIQ by looking at phase linearity through the response so I wouldn't be surprised to see that the Manticore does FE/CO with much the same waveform as MIQ. Also, it's difficult to mix simultaneous MF with sequential MF due to signal discontinuities that will screw up the channelization filters in the simultaneous side.

A breath of fresh air, thank you Carl ?

Any speculation on this statement from Mark Lawrie when he said "the MultiEQ+ frequencies were expanded" ?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Cal_Cobra said:

Any speculation on this statement from Mark Lawrie when he said "the MultiEQ+ frequencies were expanded" ?

If I read it right, someone posted that the single F modes were the same as the Eq. But the Eq MF modes use different frequencies than the SF modes (2.6, 7.8, 39) and I suspect that 2.6 is for ground analysis. If I were to guess then I would say it's expanded on the low end to favor deep silver. Maybe there's a new boosted 1.56kHz component. That would also explain the incompatible coil. But then, I would also expect to see a lower SF mode, maybe 2kHz.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, steveg said:

I can take a speculative shot at this, having been a pretty long-time FBS user.

Thanks, steveg!  I understood a lot on the first reading and I'll reread after checking out more screen photos of the Mambocorp.  The ML Explorer (digital) readout seems more intuitive but I guess in practice the later normalized methods were more informative?  (Or is it the typical "dumbing down" for the least common denominator type of detectorist?)

Good stuff.

6 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Equinox gave us ice cream, and now we are getting different flavors of ice cream. Manticore is a very nice detector, for sure, but as a pretty good operator I can honestly say I can use a Equinox, Legend, and Deus II, and get similar results, and Manticore is not going to change that. You want to make more and better finds, then put yourself on better locations, and put in more hours of detecting. Those two things will do far more to improve anyone's results, than the latest new whiz bang detector.

but I simply can't help myself being inexorably sucked in to the new 'Manhood' marketing hype....I WILL BUY ONE

• Like 1

SteveG I agree with you on a lot of that Ferr/con.  I more often than not watched that smart screen then checked out the con digit.  We all learned the silver tinkle watched deep coins like nickels move to points no where near an air test coin.  Took me some time to realize what weak targets were… I really gained a lot of depth once it clicked.

• Like 2