Website Rollback - Latest Updates ×

So The Beach Hunts Start Again

3 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Had to Wikipedia 'German silver" which made me realize I know it from another name -- nickel silver.  Funny story which I may have told here before.  About a dozen years ago in an antique shop I saw some cream and sugar pitchers with that marking.  Thinking they contained silver I did some arithmetic in my head and concluded the bullion value was likely more than the asking price ($90 etched permanently in my memory) so I stealthily took them up to the counter and paid without revealing my 'find'.  After (proudly) driving home and looking up 'nickel silver' to calculate my 'winnings' I was deflated to learn it contains no silver.  Surprisingly to this day is that not only does it have a good white color, like silver, but it even tarnishes to the same color as silver.  (I say that, but now I wonder if these are silver plated....)  I don't know what the salt water does to it, but maybe your discovery answers that.

Is that a '1944' date I see peaking out of the photo??  ?

Marketing, no matter where it is, kills ya. ? We though detector companies fool us with their trickery. Lucky you didn't buy every German silver piece in the store ? Definitely a 1944 Steel cent ?. I just saw on on Flea Bay selling for over 200k. If only you could actually find one of those in change ?

• Haha 2

Beach hunt #6 was a follow up hunt at the same beach. Started off using the GPX on the upper beach and soon found an area that I knew would trouble everyone’s machines (including mine). It’s right up against a rebar reinforced concrete wall. You can’t get within 2 feet of it without the iron in the wall sounding off. But there are ways to go around that if you are willing to put up with excessive noise. I wanted to see if I could squeak out low conductors. It worked and I found a huge number of nickels, including 2 Buffalo, but no gold. As the tides got lower, I wanted to switch machines and test the Equinox out in that same patch that was producing silver and gold for everyone. It is very hard digging with the packed sand and rocks, and I soon gave up using a scoop, since it would barely go 1” into the sand. Went back to the car and got my trusty shovel and abandoned the idea of hunting deeper into the waves. So, I followed the tide down as the others arrived (I love being first) ? One guy got a 14k earring, but it took me a long time before I struck gold. Finally, after struggling with a collapsing hole filling with water, I got it out. A nice 10K man’s initial ring. I was happy to join the crew in finding a gold ring in that area. After a while, a Mercury dime showed up along with more silver jewelry. Always nice to have a good hunt and to get some exercise at the same time! Looking forward to the next hunt already. Who says this hobby is addictive? ?

20221012_132026.jpg

20221012_134649.jpg

20221012_133133.jpg

20221012_133232.jpg

• Like 8

Great hunt man, congrats on the gold, and about the silver bracelet you found on your last hunt 950 means platinum most of the time from what i know, you might ask a jeweler. ? ?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Hardtimehermit said:

Great hunt man, congrats on the gold, and about the silver bracelet you found on your last hunt 950 means platinum most of the time from what i know, you might ask a jeweler. ? ?

Thanks, it does but usually has PT950 or Plat written on it. If it is platinum, then the quality of the stones probably goes up as well. When I Googled it, 950 came up as a higher Sterling grade. It is well made as opposed to the junk they sell these days as jewelry. It's hidden so the wife doesn't borrow it ?

• Like 1

Beach hunt #7 was not a lucky number. Up at 4 AM - out the door by 4:30 to try and hit part of a moderate low tide. Got stuck at an accident scene for ½ hour, so late to the beach. Upon arrival I discovered I forgot to pack the GPX battery and harness. ? So, it’s the Equinox all day long (not my original plan). The ocean was ANGRY. The rouge tides sneak up on you and drench you good. ? Poured the water out of my boots when I left. There is not much you can do on this beach without a good low tide but dig all you can and hope for silver or gold. Not going to happen on that day. Also, washed up at the high tide line was what I believe to be a sunfish. ☹️ I guess they can get really big, but this one was about the size of a manhole cover. So better luck next time and hopefully a new beach to explore. On the flip side, I did get another room in the basement to store my machines. The room I keep my finds and other stuff was getting so cluttered with machines and coils, that I could not work on things. This is the best way that I have found to store machines and coils. Hope everyone has a chance to get out detecting somewhere and enjoy the day.

20221014_112822.jpg

20221019_095712.jpg

20221019_095251.jpg

20221018_112702.jpg

20221018_112737.jpg

• Like 7
  • Oh my! 1

Wow! That is an impressive amount of trash and shows how thorough a hunter you are.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Loving your "Art pictures" as always...but your CTX looks lonely sitting over there on the right...you could eliminate 3/4 of that crap if you would use it.... just saying ?

strick

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Had a similar occurrence yesterday, I didn't properly charge the Deus. ? Must be a bit of bad juju out there, but we both made it through. ?

You are by far the most disciplined and thorough detectorist I've seen. ? An inspiration to the novice and seasoned!

I have all my detecting stuff crammed into a corner my wife eyes with disdain, but I don't have a basement. ?

Great hunt, cool dead fish photo! Always good to have the ol' cell phone on hand for more than just a source of EMI. ?

• Like 1