Found An Air Tag

I don't know if this has been discussed before but I think it is an interesting topic. Yesterday I got a strong signal while working in the shallow surf and scooped out a black rectangular target that I thought was a cell phone. I quickly realized that it was a thick wallet and quickly stuffed it into my finds pouch. When I got back to my car I looked at the contents and saw a quarter-sized metal disc in a leather sleeve which was part of the wallet. This disc is what my TDI had detected.

I didn't know what the disc was at first. I thought it might be something used to pay for things. As it turns out it was an "air tag", a device to locate lost items. However, as many of you probably know, these things have been in the news since they have been used to track people and steal cars among other things. The battery lasts for a year, I believe, and the device was actually beeping when I went out to the garage this morning. 

The wallet had a number of credit, membership and ID cards including a Driver's License along with a couple dollars. I was able to contact the owner from a business card in the wallet and everything is on its way back to him already. He was very appreciative of me returning it to him promptly and described exactly where he had lost it 2 weeks ago. In reading up on these air tags I realized that if you find one, it seems like the owner could actually find where you live. If I find another one of these tags I may want to think twice about taking it home with the rest of my finds.

5 hours ago, Compass said:

In reading up on these air tags I realized that if you find one, it seems like the owner could actually find where you live. If I find another one of these tags I may want to think twice about taking it home with the rest of my finds.

If the air tag was so good, why could he not find the wallet? 

1 hour ago, strick said:

Did you find any jewelry on the hunt  ? 😁

strick

Unfortunately, I did not find any jewelry and very few coins on the hunt. 😞

55 minutes ago, midalake said:

If the air tag was so good, why could he not find the wallet? 

He lost the wallet in the water and by the time I found it it was also under the wet sand so those tags must not work in those locations.

25 minutes ago, Compass said:

Unfortunately, I did not find any jewelry and very few coins on the hunt. 😞

You were on the wrong beach for gold this time. A few areas are producing from this swell. I personally use air tags , they work good. But yes , dump that thing b4 you get home.

When I realized it was a wallet I thought that perhaps there was a ring or medallion inside of it making it detectable. At one time I carried a beautiful St. Benedict medal around with me in my wallet. I had found it in the wet sand with my detector. It was wrapped in paper and must have fallen out of my wallet when I pulled out a credit card. 😞

Could always drop one of them in the back of an Uber 🙂

Guy was lucky, many people wouldn't be bothered to return stuff like that.