900 Vs Manticore -help?

TroyLPN

11 hours ago, Digalicious said:

These types of tests can be very misleading. Not so much because of what IS shown and said, but rather misleading because of what ISN'T shown and said.

You nailed it (pun intended)!  How can a guy who one day complains that nails false badly on the Manticore then show a demo with nails and a non-ferrous item between and claim he's picking up the non-ferrous item?  Also note that in more than one case where he's claiming the Manticore picks up the non-ferrous item, the screen goes blank after a couple swings.  The basic scientific testing knowledge (e.g. see control) of some of these videos is appalling, and to make matters worse some of these people then act so confident in their tricked up results.

11 hours ago, phrunt said:

The way they said "Can Achieve" not "Achieves"

Semantics?  IMO you're really grasping at straws on this one.  Minelab manuals are well written but I don't think they'd get an A+ from a high level grammar instructor.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with you SImon, the EQX900 (and 700) came out as a total surprise (or was it the Manticore that was the surprise!?!?)!  I like the 900, LOVE the red LCD screen, Tom D. stated it's amped up with more power and better separation, in a Manticore physical package and works with existing EQX coils.  Not a bad deal for $1000!  Leaks and coil breakage aside (which this appears to address) the EQX800 turned out to be a proven beach and relic detector. Heck it even appears to make a decent prospecting machine, seems to be able to hold it's own against the GoldMonster. 

The Equinox 900 is the perfect Equinox 800 🤠

Hopefully in 6 months time we aren't talking about Nox 900 coil ears still breaking, Manticores and Nox 900's leaking and the telescopic shafts causing problems.  Fingers crossed this time around they've got it right.  It really seems like they have and if they have we are in for a treat.

On 12/18/2022 at 6:18 PM, midalake said:

If you're a BEACH hunter, then this is an EASY CHOICE. One extra piece of gold alone could make up the $600 dollar difference. This is a no brainer! Wait for that Manticore! 

Same way I see it for relic hunting - a gold coin, rare silver coins, nice buckle, rare button, gold ring, etc., and that $600 dollar difference is easier digest.

The only advantage I see in terms of prospecting for the 900 is for people who own 800 coils already. And that red backlight is pretty cool for night hunting in the desert so your eyes don't get blown out by a bright white screen if you want to look out into the horizon for prowling cat eyes and whatnot. Add me to the thumbs up on that feature. 

I'm personally not going to buy a 900 on general principal because this is literally the exact marketing technique other tech companies are now using to extend out the now long gone Covid boom sales. I've seen this 15-20 times already over the last year and a half with things like crypto miners, phones, graphics cards, etc.  1.) hype up a flagship but don't release stock, making people eager to buy something 2.) Release "surprise" midtier product with immediate stock and make sales to people who wouldn't normally buy one 3.) Wait unti mid tier product sales peak, then release stock of flagship out of the blue 4.) Make 2nd sales to impatient people who bought mid tier products instead of what they really wanted, and profit twice. I've watched this unfold in other tech sectors for the last year and a half, hard for me not to see the same pattern here, call me a conspiracist or whatever but I know what I've seen other places. 

11 minutes ago, jasong said:

The only advantage I see in terms of prospecting for the 900 is for people who own 800 coils already. And that red backlight is pretty cool for night hunting in the desert so your eyes don't get blown out by a bright white screen if you want to look out into the horizon for prowling cat eyes and whatnot. Add me to the thumbs up on that feature. 

I'm personally not going to buy a 900 on general principal because this is literally the exact marketing technique other tech companies are now using to extend out the now long gone Covid boom sales. I've seen this 15-20 times already over the last year and a half with things like crypto miners, graphics cards, etc.  1.) hype up a flagship but don't release stock, making people eager to buy something 2.) Release "surprise" midtier product with immediate stock and make sales to people who wouldn't normally buy one 3.) Wait unti mid tier product sales peak, then release stock of flagship out of the blue 4.) Make 2nd sales to impatient people who bought mid tier products instead of what they really wanted, and profit twice. I've watched this unfold in other tech sectors for the last year and a half, hard for me not to see the same pattern here, call me a conspiracist or whatever but I know what I've seen other places. 

I can't agree on your Red Light District Eqx back light but your 1, 2, 3, 4 marketing scheme to milk the customer base makes sense.

5 minutes ago, PSPR said:

I can't agree on your Red Light District Eqx back light but your 1, 2, 3, 4 marketing scheme to milk the customer base makes sense.

If you go night hunting where predators are about, you'll understand the red light. 🙂 Your eyes adjust way faster looking up from it and out to the horizon. 

A lot of places in the desert are simply too hot to hunt in the daytime past May/June so night is really the only option. I'm guessing some places in Australian deserts are the same and you want to keep an eye out for whatever variety of nightmarish venomous creatures crawl around in the dark out there.

Just now, jasong said:

If you go night hunting where predators are about, you'll understand the red light. 🙂 Your eyes adjust way faster looking up from it and out to the horizon. 

A lot of places in the desert are simply too hot to hunt in the daytime past May/June so night is really the only option. I'm guessing some places in Australia are the same and you want to keep an eye out for whatever variety of nightmarish venomous creatures crawl around in the dark out there.

Oh, I understand what you are saying.  I just don't expect I will be going metal detecting in the dark.  Should I somehow decide to do that, I'll strap on my 44 mag. right next to my pinpointer. :biggrin:

I think most of us metal detecting crowd watch our pennies a little to close to be baited into a buy twice scenario. Only if I have no detector and I can hunt would I be tempted. I have a working 800 and my real hunting wont start till April, Saturday's high temp 17f. 🥶

1 hour ago, PSPR said:

Oh, I understand what you are saying.  I just don't expect I will be going metal detecting in the dark.  Should I somehow decide to do that, I'll strap on my 44 mag. right next to my pinpointer. :biggrin:

I guess you dont hunt salt water beaches? You have to go when the tide is low and that can be whenever..The red light would be a good thing to have for that. I've seen guys tape red plastic over the screen.  Don't forget the 44 as it might be a good idea on some of these beaches in the middle of the night lol

strick