Mc Battery, Short Life... Solutions?

steveg

GB -- I totally agree on your "point number two."  That's what I plan...a way to attach it -- Velcro?  Otherwise?  And then, attach it under the arm cuff (i.e. attach to the arm cuff stand).  Yes, it would act as a counterweight, and yes, that would help, with the MC.

With your point number one, the only reason I wanted to do it the other way -- i.e. attach it at the BEGINNING of a long hunt, is that I was concerned that if the battery went dead, that a portable charger would not supply enough power to "keep up with" the power demands of the unit.  But, if it can, then your way of doing it should be fine (and Chase's email seems to suggest that this would work, as well, from what I can tell, though I am admittedly not nearly as well-versed in electrical concepts as I'd like to be).

Steve

2 hours ago, steveg said:

THANKS, Chase!

I can't find all the specs, but here's the one I decided on; hopefully it will work well.

It's only 12W, but should be thus able to supply 5 volts at slightly over 2 amps, right?

Anker 321 Power Bank (PowerCore 5K) - Anker US

Steve

This will work as a good charge maintainer for the internal battery or emergency source of power to extend run time.  However, the mAH capacity rating of the Manticore battery is 6800 mAH.  This powerbank will get you some additional run time, but if you want to be able to fully recharge the Manticore in the field or replicate the Manticore run time with the external bank, I recommend a power bank with a minimum capacity of 10,000 mAH (the additional capacity ensures you can fully recharge the internal battery accounting for the inevitable power efficiency losses that occur when recharging at high rates of current).

33 minutes ago, steveg said:

...The only reason I wanted to... attach (the power bank) at the BEGINNING of a long hunt, is that I was concerned that if the battery went dead, that a portable charger would not supply enough power to "keep up with" the power demands of the unit.

I don't think the Instruction Manual suggestion (which I cut and pasted) would make sense (i.e. would work as they say it will) if your concern is valid.  Even if you ran the internal battery so long that the unit shut off, a short time after you attached the power bank the detector will have enough juice to be turned on.  Then (according to the manual) it will run as long as the power bank is providing current, which it will be doing unless it gets completely discharged.

I'm no expert on this, though....

1 hour ago, GB_Amateur said:

1) Don't attach the power bank until it's needed.  I.e. run until the onboard indicator is low (how low? experiment to find out a safe time), then attach the most lightweight, compact power bank I can find that will give me the extra time (4 hours in my example).

Actually, the rated capacity (run time in amp-hours) of a battery goes down at higher discharge currents.  You can actually get more amp-hours (which translates into more run time) out of the bank + internal battery combo if you use it from the get go (beginning of the hunt) as a maintaining source of power to replace what is being sucked out of the internal battery by operating the detector.  Once you crank the output current of the power bank to both re-charge the depleted internal battery and provide power for detector operation you will actually get fewer total ampere hours out of the bank than “rated capacity” which is typically based on a lower nominal output current where I^2 R power losses are lower.

Steve’s approach will maximize total run time vs. connecting it once the internal battery is discharged.

A quick estimate of the amount of current the Mcore uses from what I've seen posted indicates that power bank you selected would be capable of supplying more than the detector is using. for the 4 hours you desire.

A lot of variables there but I think it will work for you.

🖖 ... live long and prospect.

Steve,

I have no doubt that you will find a creative and well designed way to mount your battery. Your detector shafts are top notch.

Kent

rvpopeye --

THANK YOU!

Kent --

I appreciate the kind words!

Steve

On 2/18/2023 at 9:56 PM, GB_Amateur said:

1) Don't attach the power bank until it's needed.  I.e. run until the onboard indicator is low (how low? experiment to find out a safe time), then attach the most lightweight, compact power bank I can find that will give me the extra time (4 hours in my example).

Afaik I wouldn't handle it that way. Modern batteries do not suffer from memory effects like NiCd or NiMh. In fact they will last longer, if they don't run through full charge-cycles. I charge my Nox after EVERY hunt, even if it still shows all three bars. It's nearly 5 years old now, and the battery still holds up fine.

On 2/16/2023 at 8:37 AM, steveg said:

Thanks for the replies.

I do NOT have vibrate, or flashlight, on.  I MAY have screen backlighting set to max (never checked, so should be at default), and may have button backlighting on (again, never checked, should be at default).  BUT, I charged it all night on a quality Anker powerport smart charger, until the light went steady green, and started hunting about 11 AM.  Battery was dead at 5:30 PM, and had drained to "one bar" at least an hour or two before that...

The GOOD news, I guess, is that a battery change is not difficult; I saw a video on it, and it's not hard.  Anyone know offhand the replacement battery type?  I'm not home, or would check the manual.  Might be smart for me to buy a good, high-quality one in ANY case, and expect that it's at least possible that I have a dud.

Thanks for the info, on the charger, Yatahaze.  My only question is, while those are proper "specs," WILL such a charger be able to charge faster than the MC battery wants to drain, so that it essentially keeps the MC battery at "full charge" until it runs out of juice?

Hunterjunk -- YES, if you could keep an eye on your run time, before the battery dies, that would be great, as I'd then have a better idea as to what I may be dealing with here.  But, it sounds like you are definitely doing better than I am...

Steve

Gday Steve , you were right , HC mode chews power and there is nothing wrong with your battery . On Saturday I managed 7:45 run time , and some of that was in the red zone on the battery indicator . I turned the detector off before it shut it's self down . That run time consisted of HC mode and nearly 2 hours of Prospecting mode , all without headphones . At the end of the day I dumped my 4000 Ma power bank into the Manti which topped up the battery to just over one third capacity .  Used the Nox on Sunday !

Monday I hunted 7:15 hours in HC mode and stopped when the battery indicator hit red . Used headphones .

Today using headphones I ran 6:00 hours in HC mode , and 1:00 hour in Trash Reject . Indicator was still green , but only just !

Tomorrow I am off to buy a 10,000 Ma power pack .