Recommend A Long Handle Detecting Shovel

I use a small (lightweight) el-cheapo D handle garden spade.  All I could afford after getting the T Rex scoop !🤩(also the smaller size one ).I took the handle off a grain shovel for that one ..

Could put a long handle on anything I guess , might try one out .

Bad elbows make small loads a requirement for me ,,either that or hire a digger !! 🤔

I know,,,, I should have chosen origami as a hobby ........... ahhhhh nope !  

This post is aimed at no one in particular, but IMO it's something every one of us should always keep in mind.  It's about public detecting, not private/permission detecting.  In the latter case there are only a few people you need to stay on good graces with.

1 hour ago, Badger-NH said:

I can't stand the pointy heavy metal detecting shovels. The serrations are nice but they don't dig well, are cold on your hands, and are way too expensive. Most are too short. I don't like bending when I dig.

I can understand everything but the "...they don't dig well..."  Care to go into more detail?

I got my wife a Lesche Sampson (well, OK, I got it for me but she gets to use it :biggrin:) for gardening and she absolutely swears by it.  She's used about every shovel and spade intended for gardening.  When the ground is hard and/or has roots it's like a hunting knife vs. a butter knife.

7 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

Looks really good, I also thought about making something like that.

Actually made it a couple of years ago and changed the foot cleat up and put a t handle grip last year.

I'll give you a hollar if I make a couple more, pretty happy with what I got now but want to eliminate some welds.

Here’s what I’ve been using for the past 4 or 5 years.  I’m on my third one now.  The other two cracked about a third of the way down from the top of the blade.  However, I get a LOT of usage out of them before they crack.  I still want to try a predator but, like someone mentioned above, I can’t decide on which one to get although I’m leaning towards the phoenix model.  I really like the inverted V tip f the nomad.  It holds on and cuts right through a root instead of glancing off to the side.  

00AE04C0-F38A-4098-BC25-FA1FBC83BFF6.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GB_Amateur said:

I can understand everything but the "...they don't dig well..."  Care to go into more detail?

I got my wife a Lesche Sampson (well, OK, I got it for me but she gets to use it :biggrin:) for gardening and she absolutely swears by it.  She's used about every shovel and spade intended for gardening.  When the ground is hard and/or has roots it's like a hunting knife vs. a butter knife.

I had a Lesche Sampson but didn't like it. For me, it was too short, too heavy, too cold, and the blade was too narrow. The narrower the blade, the longer it takes to dig a good-sized plug. A lot depends on the type of ground you're digging in. For sure smaller is better around roots. Some people don't mind bending when they dig.

I carry a Fiskars Transplanter for digging around roots. Less chance of scratching a good coin.  https://www.fiskars.com/en-us/gardening-and-yard-care/products/cultivating-tools/transplanter-100s-79796931j

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Badger-NH said:

I carry a Fiskars Transplanter for digging around roots.

I carry something quite similar -- a bit wider and without the handle (which I sawed off).  (For coin detecting) I also carry the popular plastic scoop many nugget detectorists use.  Throw in a hand-held Lesche and a 1" wide aluminum garden tool for working around roots.  I look like a pack mule when I detect. 😁  I wouldn't buy the Sampson now (one reason being the length, as you point out) and I never use anything longer than ~12" in public places.  Knowing what I know now I would go with Predator for my tool choices, but when I started back into detecting (2015) there weren't as many wise advisers as we have today.  😏

6 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

I also carry the popular plastic scoop many nugget

GB, have you ever considered the Fiskars composite trowel? 🙂 I use it both in sandy loam and beach sand, it's nice and pointy and tough. They're like 5 bucks each on Amazon. It'll even help me dig something with the pointer in loose clay. Saves scratching those silvers!20230219_113347.thumb.jpg.c57d34e1dbed1129b316243831502649.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rattlehead said:

Those are Hip-Clips. It’s a little bolt on clip I came up with for belt carrying long handled shovels.

55312FA5-9F70-4F6E-AB4B-2FF4F4AB3E92.thumb.jpeg.6210c9bd7e6af88dba27d1247c00b268.jpeg

Interesting, I tried the hip route and they were always beating the crap out of me. 😀 Out of likes but 👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1