New D2 Software

PI-Man

2 hours ago, UKD2User said:

Con il massimo rispetto, penso che ti stai facendo prendere un po 'la mano 😀 .... Naturalmente il D2 può essere migliorato, e ho piena fiducia che lo sarà, ma è già una macchina di classe mondiale (sulla spiaggia e in particolare tra l'inquinamento moderno / antico).

Penso che XP sia saggio rilasciare nuovo software solo quando sono sicuri al 100% in esso.

L'alternativa all'approccio di XP sarebbe quella di fare un annuncio e poi non riuscire continuamente a farlo contro di esso (qualsiasi somiglianza con altri produttori sarebbe del tutto casuale ... 🤐 ) ...

yet with the deus 2 I find it difficult to hit small medieval coins in the middle of the iron,
 the targets that exist in the United States are different from the European ones ... 
for example I found the 6-inch plate with the nokta makro legend great 
for hitting those small medieval coins disguised in iron and it doesn't cost 1600€ :)

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've debated throwing in on this topic because sometimes these types of discussions can become toxic.  So I will state right off the bat that this is only my opinion.

With that being said...it was only a few years ago when detectors could not be updated.  We bought the detectors, figured out their warts, shortcomings AND advantages and learned how to use them.  That's just how it was.

Now we have detectors that can be updated and that is for the most part a good thing.  But keep this in mind: manufacturers are under no obligation to update their products. They could easily lock these new detectors and move on to the next one.

Instead they choose not to and suddenly there is this backlash where some folks feel that they are entitled to updates immediately and continually.  To call a new detector a "beta" is grossly unfair.  Unless a manufacturer releases a beta update to solicit user feedback, it is absolutely absurd to think that any company would knowingly release a flawed detector.  I can tell you first hand that these detectors are tested and tested and retested, both in the lab and in the field.  That doesn't mean that they are perfect and in fact they may have bugs that were missed.  It only means that in the company's view the detector is ready for release. 

Further, while it is easy to say "oh, Detector X needs this feature because it has a problem in this environment," making that statement assumes that updating software on a metal detector is as easy as changing out a car battery.  Please.  For example, to add an iron filter may sound easy, but to do it in a way that works and that doesn't compromise other aspects of the software and detector performance is no easy task.

My advice: use what you have and learn it's pros and cons. Submit feedback to the manufacturers if you wish and post those results if you want to.  But leave companies like XP alone when it comes to the updates.  If and when one shows up use it.  But  until then, use your Deus II and learn it.  I can tell you that my buddies who have them are killing it in multiple environments and are continually learning how to tweak their detectors to get better results.  I wish I had the dough to buy one.  From what I have seen it is an amazing detector as is.

Bill

Bill great comments — not toxic.   That is why I prefer just a few manual knobs to mess with instead of all the software.  Less hassle and forces you to utilize just a few settings and learn the machine.  The TDI SLs are always my go to detector everything else is a bonus.  Glad I couldn’t update my V3i software I am still learning it since it came out.  Haha

I just want to know why the Manticore brand new out of box on the park  program with no adjustments smoked me on my D2 park program no adjustments and same targets.  Lol 

My biggest problem with XP is the software updater to run on different platforms (Mac/pc) and if that hasn’t been addressed yet well…..to me that’s a tell tale sign it takes them a long time to produce something.  Maybe they only have 1 developer working for them.  Now in my eyes if they promoted a product that was supposed/sold to be upgradable well bad on them then - they should have known people would ask.  That goes for any company.  I am sure something will come eventually.  

9 minutes ago, PI-Man said:

Bill great comments — not toxic.   That is why I prefer just a few manual knobs to mess with instead of all the software.  Less hassle and forces you to utilize just a few settings and learn the machine.  The TDI SLs are always my go to detector everything else is a bonus.  Glad I couldn’t update my V3i software I am still learning it since it came out.  Haha

I just want to know why the Manticore brand new out of box on the park  program with no adjustments smoked me on my D2 park program no adjustments and same targets.  Lol 

My biggest problem with XP is the software updater to run on different platforms (Mac/pc) and if that hasn’t been addressed yet well…..to me that’s a tell tale sign it takes them a long time to produce something.  Maybe they only have 1 developer working for them.  Now in my eyes if they promoted a product that was supposed/sold to be upgradable well bad on them then they should have known people would ask.  That goes for any company.  I am sure something will come eventually.  

I'm totally with you about the knobs and I completely agree about the V3i. I no longer have mine because my head never stopped hurting!

On 3/31/2023 at 3:47 PM, Bill (S. CA) said:

I've debated throwing in on this topic because sometimes these types of discussions can become toxic.  So I will state right off the bat that this is only my opinion.

With that being said...it was only a few years ago when detectors could not be updated.  We bought the detectors, figured out their warts, shortcomings AND advantages and learned how to use them.  That's just how it was.

Now we have detectors that can be updated and that is for the most part a good thing.  But keep this in mind: manufacturers are under no obligation to update their products. They could easily lock these new detectors and move on to the next one.

Instead they choose not to and suddenly there is this backlash where some folks feel that they are entitled to updates immediately and continually.  To call a new detector a "beta" is grossly unfair.  Unless a manufacturer releases a beta update to solicit user feedback, it is absolutely absurd to think that any company would knowingly release a flawed detector.  I can tell you first hand that these detectors are tested and tested and retested, both in the lab and in the field.  That doesn't mean that they are perfect and in fact they may have bugs that were missed.  It only means that in the company's view the detector is ready for release. 

Further, while it is easy to say "oh, Detector X needs this feature because it has a problem in this environment," making that statement assumes that updating software on a metal detector is as easy as changing out a car battery.  Please.  For example, to add an iron filter may sound easy, but to do it in a way that works and that doesn't compromise other aspects of the software and detector performance is no easy task.

My advice: use what you have and learn it's pros and cons. Submit feedback to the manufacturers if you wish and post those results if you want to.  But leave companies like XP alone when it comes to the updates.  If and when one shows up use it.  But  until then, use your Deus II and learn it.  I can tell you that my buddies who have them are killing it in multiple environments and are continually learning how to tweak their detectors to get better results.  I wish I had the dough to buy one.  From what I have seen it is an amazing detector as is.

Bill

I was going to post something similar Bill but you beat me to it. There are companies that release product in a near beta state, but it is extremely rare. The MX Sport and Fisher Impulse AQ come to mind. White's paid the price for that mistake, and Fisher is doing the same. I don't think XP is remotely in the same situation with the Deus II.

XP does not owe an update to anyone. People assume updates can do magic, but there are hardware limitations that software can't fix, or the software itself has limitations based on the underlying methodology. Long story short thought the Deus 2 has been out for a couple years, is an excellent detector, but it can't and won't do everything perfectly. No detector does.

As far as I am concerned personally the Deus 2 simply is what it is. If anyone thinks performance is lacking - get a different detector that has the performance you seek. I have a Deus 2 and by this fall I will either keep it or sell it. I don't care if they update it. It's the detector they were selling and that I bought, and I'll judge it based on that. I honestly don't think an update will change anything dramatically, and that it is basically wishful thinking to expect that it will.

Agreed, the pending D2 update won't be life-changing. It will likey just fix a few bugs, maybe make the interface a bit more freindly, and enhance performance to a limited degree. But if they only fix the annoying iron falsing, it will be dramatic enough for me.  😀

16 hours ago, raziel900 said:
yet with the deus 2 I find it difficult to hit small medieval coins in the middle of the iron,
 the targets that exist in the United States are different from the European ones ... 
for example I found the 6-inch plate with the nokta makro legend great 
for hitting those small medieval coins disguised in iron and it doesn't cost 1600€ :)

Here in the UK we have a lot of small ancient coins hidden in iron and other trash.  I have found that my D2 is particularly good at finding them - we mostly have quite benign soils here, which helps a lot for any detector, I think. 🙂

3 hours ago, UKD2User said:

Here in the UK we have a lot of small ancient coins hidden in iron and other trash.  I have found that my D2 is particularly good at finding them - we mostly have quite benign soils here, which helps a lot for any detector, I think. 🙂

Which coil are you using?

Steve H

What!! Dang it man! My hopes and dreams are crushed.  I thought the next update would be a life altering event and was hoping when I downloaded the new software version flames would shoot out of the thing like a fighter jet afterburner 😂 

I hope I just made everyone 😊.  Laughter is a blessing.  I am still on the floor laughing on the Impulse AQ comment glad I didn’t get one of those.    

My biggest happy point with the D2 is the weight.  Back loves it especially with 9 inch coil.  The more I use the bone conduction headphones the happier I get too.  Nice having open ears.