Europes Largest Metal Detector Distributor Gives Minelab The Boot

My guess it the code for it was written for old obsolete hardware, maybe even easier to start all over again.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, phrunt said:

My guess it the code for it was written for old obsolete hardware, maybe even easier to start all over again.

Agreed.  The more I think about it, I think Garrett made the right move pivoting to take on ML on the PI front, where no one else has really challenged them.  The market is saturated with SMF derivatives of Equinox/Manticore (Legend, Deus 2, and the forthcoming Quest V60/80).  Garrett basically released a proof of principle SMF with Apex to demonstrate they still had the engineering chops to stay relevant with the latest IB VLF detecting tech trend but focused their development horsepower on Axiom. 

After Quest drops their SMF offering out there, I anticipate a lull in new releases of mid-to-high-end SMF detectors.  Perhaps a perfect time for Garrett to make a splash with a new AT SMF flagship of their own while others (Nokta and Quest) try to counter ML's XTP. 

• Like 2

Don't forget the upcoming release of the Rutus Versa. If it is priced right they may pick up some distributors and make some inroads in the market.

On 5/21/2023 at 7:49 AM, TampaBayBrad said:

It is alleged that Minelab gave IDC an ultimatum. If they wanted to continue to distribute Minelab products in Europe they should cease their partnership with Nokta and also Quest. 

This would be a major violation of anti-competitive laws. If it was in writing, some lawyers may end up gainfully employed.

• Like 9

"It is alleged that Minelab gave IDC an ultimatum. If they wanted to continue to distribute Minelab products in Europe they should cease their partnership with Nokta and also Quest...."

Minelab in a nutshell....

• Like 1

To put it crudely,... Minelab have us by the short and curli's. 

Due to one man who with some mates in a shed in Adelaide put together a metal detector to challenge the big American boys to now being the detector company that totally dominates the scene. Impressive? Hell yes.

What is going on now though is any body's guess. It all changed with Codan take over, and how much of the original genius has been retained? Going offshore to produce cheaper would have been abhorrent to the original Minelab crew (and I knew most of them). They were not the sort of team that was out to make huge money, but to prove that good old Aussie ingenuity was as good as the best. 

All changed now I guess, and no going back to an age of challenge above making the buck. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

It makes me think of this little gem:

Business is like other relationships. You get in bed with somebody else thinking it will be great for both parties. But sometimes you find out it's just one person getting screwed, and the other doing the screwing. The final lesson being that just like with any relationship, outside observers rarely know which party is which.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

The final lesson being that just like with any relationship, outside observers rarely know which party is which.

Just look for the one smiling.   Their the one doing the screwing. ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1