My First Relic Hunt With The Deus II

ColonelDan

11 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

The Reaper is for hearing everything, you might want to turn iron volume down a notch. Looks like car parts to me, I've found whole Model T Fords out there 🤣 make sure you're ground balanced on a clear spot (12 pumps minimum), and turn 45-90 degrees on falsing targets. They will "dive" to iron. Up reactivity in machine gun nails, but not really over 2.5.

I intend to use it around the slave quarters.  I will dig everything there…at least initially👍🏻

• Like 2

Let us know how mineralized the ground is too.  If heavy mineralization, you might want to notch out 00 and give Relic a try with IAR (tge Relic/Gold Field version of "discrimination) set to 3 or 5 (I use 5 - doesn't seem to affect non-ferrous masking even at that Max setting and the ferrous ground feedback at 00 disappears with the notch) iron will readily sound off (if you have iron volume on) while non-ferrous will squeak through.  I use this program in mild dirt too to check potential iron while searching in Deep HC or General.

Speaking of which, you can learn a lot about a target by how it responds to custom programs set up with different parameters, including different audio and switching between those programs while swinging over the target and turning on the target.

Don't forget to set reactivity consistent with target density.  For general open field searching, I like 1 or 1.5.  In bed o' nails, I crank it up to 2 to 2.5, sometimes 3.

For searching I like General or Deep HC with pitch audio as it really pops on any non-ferrous over the iron volume ferrous grunts.

For target interrogation, I switch to relic as it most consistently differentiates falsing ferrous that might show up in Deep HC or General without a turn.  If my search program is providing a pure non-ferrous tone, I dig or switch to a corresponding zero discrimination full tones variant (General aka Relic Reaper or Deep HC) of my main pitch search program if I suspect aluminum can slaw, junk, or cans.  FT really beings out the hollow,  distorted audio associated with irregularly shaped mid-conductive targets or the overload distortion associated with large cans that give off coin IDs.

FWIW.

Good luck out there and hope you get some goodies.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

C71335A2-9447-4F85-8746-930DD692A760.thumb.jpeg.108cf0f67da0da6d95e6a3aa27be96bd.jpeg

I didn’t personally find this but it also came from the same area…one of many, but this one will follow me home to Florida.  😊

One could spend a lifetime hunting artifacts around here!

• Like 7

That is a beautiful point. It almost looks to be made from Obsidian, but it is not glossy.

2 hours ago, JCR said:

That is a beautiful point. It almost looks to be made from Obsidian, but it is not glossy.

Good point JCR, no pun intended.The obsidian from the local volcano where I find a lot of my Points,Blades,Scrapers,Drills and so forth, most commonly comes in different shades and grades of black.Ranging from a very fragile and glossy transparent type to a very dense and hard Jett black grade. .And then there is the more rare and desireable yet seldom seem grey and opaque variety, very similar to Colonel Dans exceptional piece.

• Like 2

8C3AA332-10E4-4D07-A072-4AEC8E30D291.thumb.jpeg.4c39bab4bdc698b1810355d43cbebf34.jpeg

Can anyone ID these finds?  The square plate rang up a high non-ferrous while the smaller one was strong iron.  Both in the same hole.

This beach hunter is stumped.

The terrain was exceptionally beautiful, exceptionally steep and exceptionally rocky. 
I had to call it an early day as my torn knee meniscus had all it could take in climbing over and around those TN hills.  
Sadly, I didn’t make it to the area reputed to have had a slave quarters on it because of the knee. 😡

I switched between the Reaper, Relic and modified General programs.  Unfortunately, the limited time of today’s hunt, I didn’t do them justice in any sense of the word. 

What I could tell was this undetected property has a ton of potential for those capable and willing to negotiate the terrain.  

I’ll be back after I get this knee surgically repaired….bank on it.

I want to thank all who have been following this thread.  I was sincerely hoping to bring you a better/ more productive report, but that’s the way detecting life sometimes unfolds.
Now back to my more familiar beaches!!! 😉

• Like 5

The brass piece is most likely a part of a clock. I find lots of those in mid-late 1800’s sites.  I’m not real sure about the iron piece. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Good hunts for your first foray into relic hunting, Colonel! It definitely looks like some tough terrain. If your daughter's house is older, the I'd suggest looking for what might have been a dump or an outhouse (usually a small rectangular depression) near the house. People use to dump everything behind their houses and a dumpsite can provide many targets and some really good finds. Also look at the site on the Historic Aerials site to see what has changed over the years. It can give you good ideas for future searches. 

I agree with TJ, that rectangular piece looks like a gear frame (usually brass) for another clock, similar to the more complete one you found earlier. I'm drawing a blank on the rusty iron piece.

I imagine it will feel good to get back out on your beaches after hunting in the rocky hills of Tennessee! Happy Hunting!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, CPT_GhostLight said:

Good hunts for your first foray into relic hunting, Colonel! It definitely looks like some tough terrain. If your daughter's house is older, the I'd suggest looking for what might have been a dump or an outhouse (usually a small rectangular depression) near the house. People use to dump everything behind their houses and a dumpsite can provide many targets and some really good finds. Also look at the site on the Historic Aerials site to see what has changed over the years. It can give you good ideas for future searches. 

I agree with TJ, that rectangular piece looks like a gear frame (usually brass) for another clock, similar to the more complete one you found earlier. I'm drawing a blank on the rusty iron piece.

I imagine it will feel good to get back out on your beaches after hunting in the rocky hills of Tennessee! Happy Hunting!

Thanks CPT!  My daughter’s house is not 19th century period…it’s of modern construction.

I’ll be back here and my D2 will come with me for sure.  This place is a 19th century relic site and shows signs of habitation from that period.  I just need to get this knee repaired and go again.  
Thanks again for your interest and input.  👍🏻

• Like 2