How Did I Previously Miss 8 Wheaties? A Different State Of Mind?

I haven’t been posting much because I’ve been hitting the same old sites over and over hoping that maybe I missed something.  Yesterday, for lack of any new sites, I hit a smallish site that I’ve probably hit a dozen times before.  However yesterday I took half of a delta9 cbd gummy before I went.  Just some background on me:  I’m 60, but have had some health issues in the past.  Open heart surgery to get a new aortic valve at 49, a bad infection that put me in the hospital for 6 days at 54, then 30 sessions of head and neck radiation for squamous cell cancer in one of my lymph nodes in my neck (yes, squamous cell doesn’t just attack your skin, it can be internal).  That was two years ago and around the same time or a little before my sciatic nerve would cause me pain.  It still bothers me and has gotten somewhat worse but I deal with it.  Believe it or not I’m in very good shape. I either ride my bike or walk to work every day no matter what the weather.  About a half mile each way.  I also lift weights twice a week.  I used to do body weight exercises like pushups, pull ups, abs, etc and did 63 non-paused pushups on my 59th birthday.  Got a total of 72 with pauses at the top.   I don’t rely on prescription drugs…I take no prescriptions or over the counter pain meds.  However, I recently discovered the delta9 CBD gummies for my sciatica pain. They work well, BUT they will get you high, similar to smoking pot. Taking half works well for my sciatic pain but the “high” is more of a very focused mental state.  Btw, I’m 5’10” and weigh 160 so if you weigh more you may not get the same effect.  That very focused mental state is what brings me to those 8 wheaties.  I’m just blown away that I could have missed that many before because I’m pretty focused even when I’m not taking gummies😄!   Could it have been my gummy induced mental state?   I’m thinking maybe so.  Oh, and Steve, if you feel this is an inappropriate subject please delete.   

As someone with a pile of health issues of my own, I’d never judge anyone for doing whatever they can to find some relief. Getting old is hell!

Congrats on finding a few more at a hard hit site!

Gotta couple issues myself NC, Reynaud's and a pacemaker from all the fun I had when I was younger. 😏 I'm 63.

There are workarounds for just about everything, most days I can stay out all day hunting, but temps of low 30s and AFib stop me sometimes.

Can't speak for mind-altering substances, but could someone have got some stuff out the way for you? 🤔

Also sometimes I find lots of things in the fringes of my hunt areas. 👍 Then I realize I was hunting the fringe areas 🤣

1 hour ago, F350Platinum said:

Gotta couple issues myself NC, Reynaud's and a pacemaker from all the fun I had when I was younger. 😏 I'm 63.

There are workarounds for just about everything, most days I can stay out all day hunting, but temps of low 30s and AFib stop me sometimes.

Can't speak for mind-altering substances, but could someone have got some stuff out the way for you? 🤔

Also sometimes I find lots of things in the fringes of my hunt areas. 👍 Then I realize I was hunting the fringe areas 🤣

Thanks for the reply Bob.  I may be misunderstanding what you mean in your third paragraph, but if you mean that I’m getting the gummies from a friend or off the black market, I’m not. I buy them at one of the many local CBD/hemp stores in my town.  They’re widely available and 100% legal. 

1 hour ago, NCtoad said:

Thanks for the reply Bob.  I may be misunderstanding what you mean in your third paragraph, but if you mean that I’m getting the gummies from a friend or off the black market, I’m not. I buy them at one of the many local CBD/hemp stores in my town.  They’re widely available and 100% legal. 

The way I read/understood Bob's reply, was that he couldn't speak to the gummies enabling you to hear/find the wheaties and that maybe someone has worked/detected the area since you were last there and cleared out some trash or other targets out of the area enabling you to hear the wheaties and  find them.

1 hour ago, NCtoad said:

And it should have never been illegal in the first place, except for children of course. Weedies The Breakfast Of Champions!

15 hours ago, NCtoad said:

What he is saying is that when he first hit the sites he thought he was hitting the hot spots and when he decided to hit the "fringes" he figured out he was hitting the fringe areas all along and what he thought were the fringe areas turned out to be the actual hot spots.  Point being, you may just not have gotten your coil over the areas you THOUGHT you had previously covered because even when we grid a place, it is hard to know whether we really got the meaty part of the coil over every square centimeter.  I think we tend to overestimate how thoroughly we have covered a given site, even postage stamp size plots, with our coils.

Also, variable ground conditions like moisture content can change your ability hear fringe targets when dry one day that turn into banging signals when moist the next.    Also, targets are physically moving in the ground, sinking with gravity and rain action, or moving based on vegetation or manual disturbances of the soil.  Also, as mentioned, others may have come along a removed targets that were masking the ones you found. Just a lot of variables out there.

I do believe focus and attitude are big players in metal detecting.  Ever notice how your finds rate goes down during a detecting session until the area seems played out.  I think we attribute that simply to taking targets out of the ground but that doesn't explain why when we return to the site we start finding things again.  I think we truly lose concentration and fatigue sets in as the day goes on and takes us off our A-game.  Also, sometimes, snagging a great find, ups your confidence and things kind of steamroll and you have a great day at a site you previously thought was played out.  So yes, improved concentration could very well be a player in your site coming alive again.

All these things are what makes this hobby both frustrating and invigorating.  You just never know what you are going to find and should generally expect the unexpected.

2 hours ago, NCtoad said:

Wasn't implying ilegal, and yeah, I was asking if someone might have hunted out some more stuff that brought the wheats out.  I can understand that might be misconstrued.

Whatever works! 🙂 👍 Sometimes I take an antihistamine that keeps me alert somewhat.

3 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

All these things are what makes this hobby both frustrating and invigorating.

Great post, Hugh, and I've experienced everything in it, or at least it seems I have.  As far as what I just quoted, IMO it falls into the category "if it were easy, everyone would be doing it."  I like activities that weed out the chaff.  And I like to find the 'wheat'(ies) that remains.  😄

3 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Wasn't implying ilegal, and yeah, I was asking if someone might have hunted out some more stuff that brought the wheats out.  I can understand that might be misconstrued.

Whatever works! 🙂 👍 Sometimes I take an antihistamine that keeps me alert somewhat.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.  I’m nearly 100% certain that someone else  hadn’t detected there since the last time I was there.  In fact I’ve never seen another person detecting in my town.  However a few weeks back a fellow much older than me saw me detecting and came up and said he had an equinox 600 and he loved detecting.  Also judging by the number of silver coins I have dug from this spot I’d have to say it hadn’t been hit much before me.