Fake "finds"

I don't watch many detecting videos but I would like to see an example of what you are saying. That kind of thing would bother me too.

When people see the number of views that channels like Aquachigger receive, the potential to make a lot of money becomes a major motivator but more often than not, the type of person who would fake a find is not very intelligent.

• Like 2

The metal detecting vids I watch seem to be on par with what I expect to find out on the field myself. Especially if the locations are near where I live and also hunt! (mainly local beaches) I'm not in any social media groups regarding metal detecting except this one so i'm not seeing any fake stuff. If I do see fake stuff it blatantly obvious and I avoid it all together.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Badger-NH said:

I don't watch many detecting videos but I would like to see an example of what you are saying. That kind of thing would bother me too.

When people see the number of views that channels like Aquachigger receive, the potential to make a lot of money becomes a major motivator but more often than not, the type of person who would fake a find is not very intelligent.

I wasn't referring to videos or YouTube.  I was more referring to the detecting groups and such on Facebook that people post pictures of "finds".  This is exceedingly bad on pages like the Manticore Facebook pages, and similar machine specific groups where they are really trying to push a machine.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Daniel Tn said:

Stuff like that probably shouldn't irk me but for some reason it does.

Anyone who lies, cheats, and/or steals *should* irk us all, no matter how insignificant that dishonesty seems.

Being the suspicious type, I sometimes privately question finds made here.  Fortunately I don't think I've ever concluded that a posted find was fake, but it's good not to let one's guard down as long as one doesn't get possessed by the practice.  It seems people who perform such nefarious acts eventually overdo it and reveal themselves as the charlatans they actually are.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Daniel Tn said:

Has anyone else noticed a huge uptick in obvious faked finds being posted?  Not here...but on other sites and in particular, social media hunting group pages?  I'm talking about silver and copper coins "in the dirt pile" pictures that have zero oxidation, patina, etc and the silver look like it's been rubbed on with metal polish paste...that kind of luster to them.  I guess they thrive on comments or something. I saw some tonight on an arrowhead group I'm on...guy had 5 modern points posted together that are the kind you get at the souvenir shops, gas stations, and such...not even made from material found here in the US...and claims he found them at a certain place near me.  If he did...somebody planted them as a joke.  I thought he was posting the picture as a joke but he said he knows their real because he knows other people have found native rocks there too.  🤔   Well heck...I guess beer cans are from the Civil War because we find them on property we also find Civil War relics too.  Stuff like that probably shouldn't irk me but for some reason it does.  

Hi Daniel. Don't pay to much attention to these. Some of them are real influencer which do that for their living. And to get the "clicks" every tool works for them. THEY don't do this for the detectorists spirit.

I saw one vid from a well known guy which does beach detecting and saw the drop-ins in the sand when he dug up totally surprized the coins. 🤪😝 So I stoped watching, desubscribed and went on. Leaving comments won't help much as these people will delete them (some forum members from here included, too). I do ignore them all the way, good for health and mind.😉😊

IMHO, Good Luck & Have Fun.😎