Rating The Tesoro Umax Models

Tejon is my favorite. It's not a umax though. Bandio 2 umax is the one most want. It has a ground balance. Mild ground any umax with no ground balance is good.

Tesoro's are great. They have a great audio for a single tone detector.

• Like 3

Got more than a few, and love them all! But yeah, dual disc on the Tejon is hard to beat!

Always glad to see any discussion on here about Tesoro's! Also got a couple Troy X2's; also Tesoro made! Gonna have to thin the heard at some point, so stay tuned!🍀👍👍

• Like 2

My first Tesoro was a Troy Shadow X2. I had both coils. The 7" & 9". You can listen for that whisper.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bill (S. CA) said:

I remember when Troy was designing the X5.  It's been a long time but didn't Fisher make that one?

Dave Johnson (who worked for several of the USA detector companies -- Fisher, White's Tesoro, First Texas) -- at one time or another, designed the X5.  Troy didn't build detectors but rather came up with the concepts and then outsourced the engineering, design, and production.

There is a ton of stuff about Tesoro (especially) and Troy detectors on the late Monte Berry's AHRPS forum.  That forum has a user-friendly search capability to help you find hours of reading on the subject.  Monte was an encyclopedia of knowledge and (IMO) likely knew as much about Tesoro detectors as founder Jack Gifford.

• Like 6

I knew Monte very well and we corresponded frequently.  He was a wonderful guy.  Sure miss him.

I still wonder what happened to Troy's design for a visual target ID detector.  He and I corresponded about that detector a lot but as I recall he could never put the whole package together to get it made. 

• Like 6

Yeah, X3, and X5 are both Fisher built as I recall?! And you can still find coils for them fairly easily, albeit not cheap! Thought about acquiring them, but wanted to keep in the Tesoro stable! The X5 seems to appear on Ebay more often than the X3! And the X2 even less!🍀👍👍

• Like 1

So, a bakers dozen sounds about right! But who's counting!! All uMax's but two?! Stuff's all spread out, and tough to find now due to some remodeling! I was in that detector collector phase (used), but hopefully, I'm on the downhill side of that! Its a tough addiction to conquer!! Not all brands are as much fun to play with, and easy to use! They may have lost  just a bit of spark to me, now that Monte is gone, as his knowledge and dedication to them has helped me along; among others! Still so much to learn yet!👍👍

• Like 1