Beating The Skunk?

Getting skunked is a big part of the hobby.That in part is why there are so many barely used detectors sitting in garages and being sold on eBay and so forth.It happens to all of us and more and more frequently it seems as time goes by.One thing that you can do is start up a collection of Ring pulls like one of our other more popular members has done.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Thus far in the 3 years I've been detecting, "skunk" days come from going to places I've pretty thoroughly hunted. It's the bane of relic hunting, no ghost is gonna drop buckles, buttons and silvers when they're all gone.

In my limited experience changing technique, settings and coils - even detectors - only helps marginally.

The only thing that brings better success is research, using Topographic maps, LiDar maps, and generally knowing where to go when you get there by marking curious spots in a tracking app like OnX Hunt. It helps if the place you are hunting was or is a wealthy area as well.

For Beach hunting I'm pretty sure weather plays the biggest part, if it's been cold expect to find less. If it's been really stormy you might expect to find more. 😀

I don't have any parks in my area and haven't really gotten into school hunting, but those are places where there should be repeat finds due to traffic. It helps of course to not have a lot of competition. 😏

I don't worry about skunk days and focus on the research to keep it from happening. The one thing that you can count on is there will be another day you can get out. Until you can't. 🤔

• Like 6

7 hours ago, glacialgold said:

(Although I will say I now know where the local high schoolers drink beer out-of-sight on the local playground, based upon the volume of Bud Light cans dug.)

So you really didn't get skunked if you found all the cans, those cans are worth money by themselves.

When something like that happens to me, I sit down, take a break, and think about what I am doing wrong or what I am doing right when swinging the coil.

After about 30 minutes I get back up and it seems to take care of the problem. Sometimes I just think that it is how I start detecting that day if things are not producing items, so I change my mental settings and get back on track.

• Like 3

I find that when I'm having a bad hunt, I tend to speed-up my swing rate. Translation: slow down.

• Like 4

Coin shooter for many years before I switched to nugget hunting last 5 yrs but I've used most these tactics for nuggets and old coins.  Swing along at a moderate speed and when I find a nugget I start to slow down, find another and slow down even more. When nuggets start to pop up less and less I slow down even more and then I might swap machines (vlf to PI or vice-versa) and re-hunt the area. If the patch has all but dried up I'll hit the patch from a different angle like 90 degrees and CRAWL thru the area digging even more "iffies" than before until I'm satisfied I've done the best I can with the skill and gear I've got.....

• Like 2

Thanks for all the good advice, everyone!

I did beat the skunk later last week. Nothing major, but I popped a decent coount of clad (primarily quarters), barely dug any trash, and found two softball tokens/medallions. Those tokens are fun, especially b/c I found those most recent two in the same 50x50 ft area where I'd dug two other ones on separate hunts earlier. So, new finds from a previously-worked area.

My guess is the local league must congregate at that shaded area in the sport complex after the final game for a post-season party, which is where the commemorative tokens get handed out (and subsequently dropped).

• Like 1