Recently Discovered The "great Kentucky Hoard" Of Civil War Era Gold Coins

The cache of rare Civil War-era coins unearthed in the Bluegrass State includes finest-known 1863 Double Eagles as well as several interesting varieties and errors.

Numismatic Guaranty Company® (NGC®) was honored to recently certify an incredible cache of rare Civil War-era coins found in the Bluegrass State. “The Great Kentucky Hoard” (as it had been designated) includes a group of finest-known 1863 Double Eagles and hundreds of US Gold Dollars dated 1850 to 1862, as well as a small number of silver coins. Several interesting varieties and errors were also discovered.

https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/11795/kentucky-hoard-civil-war-coins/

Short video of the find in the field

Wow!  They would have bleeped out more if I found it 😂 

I would not have shown this. Problems will soon arise. Great finds for sure.

3 hours ago, Gold Seeker said:

What problems do you anticipate??

More than likely the feds and the tax man. Then there are property owners and thieves even though no one with a lick of sense would keep such items at home.Their fifteen minutes of fame so to speak could cause a poo storm.

36 minutes ago, Doc Bach said:

More than likely the feds and the tax man. Then there are property owners and thieves even though no one with a lick of sense would keep such items at home.Their fifteen minutes of fame so to speak could cause a poo storm.

According to the article, the identity of the finder will not be revealed, also all the coins were sent to NGC to be cleaned and graded, then the coins went be sold by GovMint which is one the biggest and best rare coin dealers in the country, so I'm sure all the bases are covered.

I would guess the finder either owns the land the coins were found on or he made a deal with the land owner.

OH MY WORD!  You have to be kidding me.

A detectorist found this cache?

I would have had a coronary, on the spot...

Steve

3 hours ago, steveg said:

I would have had a coronary, on the spot...

I will be sending you my phone number for emergencies of that type to  help you out. Please put it on your emergency list first and I promise to take good care of your find and keep it safe. Then we will get you to the proper hospital to take care of your problem.

Just kidding you, but something like that could make ones heart just leap out of the chest for sure.