Nissan Homy

Does anyone have any experience with the little, old 4WD van? 

These tiny Japanese pick-up trucks that cost about $5,000 are winning fans in America (msn.com)

Do you have any knowledge of the company?

1994 Nissan Homy - Japan Car Direct - JDM Export Import Pros

• Like 1

Depending which state you are in you may not be able to get plates for it due to some safety issues.

So check your state if they are allowed. I have seen some on the farms where I am at and they seem to work as good a any 4 wheeler and can carry loads up to about 700 pounds. They are not allowed on the highways here in Illinois unless the rules have changed again.

Hope this helps

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It’s a cool looking van, but I am pretty sure you won’t be able to get it registered here in California.  Have you looked at the 4wd Volkswagen Synchro Buses?  They’re pricey but have some nice camper options.  I wouldn’t take either of those types of vehicles as far in on a rugged off-road trail than it is safe to walk back to the highway though. Really should have a reliable vehicle built for that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I only know of the Suzuki Carry available with 4x4 auto trans. and air con. a Japanese Kei vehicle [ the smallest road legal vehicle with restricted dimensions and engine size ] makes you think twice about an expensive ATV doesn't it ?                                       https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_Carry

• Thanks 1

they can be made street legal in AZ. i see a few driving around.
i looked into getting one. they sell for 6 or 7k.
one problem is they max out at about 55 mph.
the other problem is that they don't have the articulation needed for old mining roads here.
i could see it being useful on a farm or ranch, not so much off road.
Mike Festiva has 7 or so videos on his suzuki carry 4x4 Kei mini truck camper build.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB3OZUVSNZc
if you scroll through he has some interesting off road builds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Swegin said:

I would stick with the 4Runner.

Yup, that’s what I was implying as well. If you’re traveling anywhere off-road, especially when going solo, gotta think about and cover the “what if’s”!

• Like 1