Anybody Seeing Depth Issues With The Manticore Update?

OK, I'm now officially spooked about updating...

I do NOT have enough hours on my Manticore to feel comfortable with it, and its performance.  And my concern is that until I DO, I may not notice, as abenson did, a degradation of performance.  I'm still at the stage where I don't get the performance from the Manticore that I did from my Equinox (which I know is largely if not entirely due to knowing my Equinox so well), and so I'm thinking it would not be wise to update to the new version, until I'm fully comfortable with the ORIGINAL version...

I will be following this thread closely, to see abenson's continued reports, and to see if anyone else has issues with the update...

Steve

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So after about ten hours of hunting on the update, I just rolled mine back, for a couple of reasons.  

Just now went out and tried the dime target that was giving me trouble and it - to me - is clearly hitting it better than with the update.

But, another observation, is that this is NOT the previous version, either.  Because, ferrous numbers are now red, as with the update, but there isn't a setting to turn that off anymore either.

So, can used the updater to revert to an older version, but it's not necessarily the same version you had before the update.  It certainly seems not to be on mine.

- Dave

42 minutes ago, UT Dave said:

But, another observation, is that this is NOT the previous version, either.  Because, ferrous numbers are now red, as with the update, but there isn't a setting to turn that off anymore either.

That's weird because my numbers are not red. They have the red underline just like before. As far as I can tell it performs just like the old version. Hopefully I will have a chance to do more testing tonight.

42 minutes ago, UT Dave said:

Because, ferrous numbers are now red, as with the update,

I think I remember reading a thread quite some time ago here about a guy's Manticore video on Youtube having red ID #'s.

Someone commented that he must be running a different software version than the rest of us because his #'s were red.

This was a ways back like maybe March or April.

50 minutes ago, TampaBayBrad said:

I think I remember reading a thread quite some time ago here about a guy's Manticore video on Youtube having red ID #'s.

Someone commented that he must be running a different software version than the rest of us because his #'s were red.

This was a ways back like maybe March or April.

I remember reading that.  I think I remember reading he had a crosshair on his target trace too.

- Dave

54 minutes ago, abenson said:

That's weird because my numbers are not red. They have the red underline just like before. As far as I can tell it performs just like the old version. Hopefully I will have a chance to do more testing tonight.

I bet you had the red numbers turned off, on the update, before rolling back?  I had them turned on and didn't think about turning them off before rolling back.

What I'm guessing, is the red numbers feature was already there before the update, just toggled off and not visible.  The update toggled the feature on.  Turning the red numbers on, gets stored in a config file or user xml or settings table or something like that.  The setting was either "off" before the update or not written.  Using the feature on the update wrote the setting and now the machine is still reading the setting and showing the feature, but without the menu item to turn it off.

An abundance of paranoia, might lead one to make sure and turn the Stabilizer off on all the search modes before rolling back.

- Dave

Just now, UT Dave said:

I bet you had the red numbers turned off, on the update, before rolling back?  I had them turned on and didn't think about turning them off before rolling back.

What I'm guessing, is the red numbers feature was already there before the update, just toggled off and not visible.  The update toggled the feature on.  Turning the red numbers on, gets stored in a config file or user xml or settings table or something like that.  The setting was either "off" before the update or not written.  Using the feature on the update wrote the setting and now the machine is still reading the setting and showing the feature, but without the menu item to turn it off.

An abundance of paranoia, might lead one to make sure and turn the Stabilizer off on all the search modes before rolling back.

- Dave

Dave,

I was thinking the exact same thing regarding red numbers being toggled on and retaining that setting with rollback with no option to now turn it off.

FWIW - Before I updated, I took a screenshot of the firmware version that existed on my Mcore:

5.12.0-3.4.0

I don't know if that matches the rollback version from the updater.  Can't access it right now because I don't have my Manticore available.

Yes, looking at mine right now, 5.12.0-3.4.0 is what is installed now after rolling back.  I'm not really bothered by the red numbers but don't really like them either.  So I'm reinstalling the update to turn them off and then rolling back again 😂.

I'll double check that I have both the Stabilizer and Stabilizer filter turned off for all modes while I'm at it.  The filter isn't supposed to be active with the Stabilizer turned off, but, I thought the Stabilizer was supposed to default to Off, too, and it wasn't.

- Dave

I don't know why but it seems difficult soil people are less happy with the update perhaps and mild soil people and finding it fantastic.  I personally am happy with it, in fact I'm now pretty happy with my Manticore and it has potential to be my favourite VLF once I get more coils for it, that's my sticking point at the moment, no big and no small coil.  I was a bit disappointed at the start with it's bouncy ID's and now that's come pretty good with the update.  The small gold sensitivity now looks to be at least equal to the Nox when testing 11" vs 11".  It will be interesting if it can pull ahead when it's got the small coil as if the smaller coil = less EMI and I can crank that gain up further I think the Manticore may win.

As a coin hunting detector all I care about is deep coins and the update has maintained its depth, I'm seeing no difference in depth at all, with the only difference better ID's. 

I'm really pleased Minelab listened about the small gold thing, when I emailed them in Australia about it and they said they would look into it and try improve it I thought that was just a way of blowing me off, then the firmware comes up with it improved I couldn't believe it.   They weren't aware on very tiny gold it was worse than the Equinox, I guess being Aussies they're used to bigger gold so all comparison tests would have been done with 0.0.3 of a gram and up or something, calling that tiny gold, but I was after the 0.00X of a gram stuff which the Nox was good at, now the Manticore seems like it is also.

I like the idea of the big red numbers, if you're using the detector underwater they're much easier to see on the screen too than a little line.

3 minutes ago, UT Dave said:

Yes, looking at mine right now, 5.12.0-3.4.0 is what is installed now after rolling back.  I'm not really bothered by the red numbers but don't really like them either.  So I'm reinstalling the update to turn them off and then rolling back again 😂.

I'll double check that I have both the Stabilizer and Stabilizer filter turned off for all modes while I'm at it.  The filter isn't supposed to be active with the Stabilizer turned off, but, I thought the Stabilizer was supposed to default to Off, too, and it wasn't.

- Dave

Have you just considered doing a factory reset to see if it changes it back?